Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Who is the best politician in the UK?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Northwind

I’ve never seen a single sensible argument against future referendums on the matter. “We wouldn’t have had another if you’d voted Yes” this is just a chewbacca defence; the result of a Yes vote would have made a rerun referendum impossible.

I think the point that it would be impossible after a ‘yes’is the argument against. People change their mind on these matters regularly, hence it seems very unfair that the Yes supporters can have as many chances as they like to win a referendum…yet as you acknowledge if opinions were to turn back the other way at a future stage there would be no way of going back. Salmond told us this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, it was, the country overwhelmingly voted against.

As Earnie pointed out its not democracy at all, as it appears that what the people of Scotland want only matters if they are pro independence.

epicyclo

tpbiker – Member
    …Salmond told us this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, it was, the country overwhelmingly voted against…

Doesn’t look “overwhelmingly against” from where I’m standing.

As for independence being a permanent thing, I’d be interested if you could provide a list of former parts of the empire that have wanted to return to Westminster governance after their independence.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Two points
    1. If there was independence unionist would not disappear over night so the issue would not be put to bed. I suspect we would have the same scenario but reversed ie Unionist parties and campaigns.

2. A 5 % swing of the population is all that is required and this is not overwhelming. Obviously it was a clear result but. IMHO, at least 2/3 is required for it to be truly overwhelming.

I see no way of calling a 5 % swing “overwhelming”. Overwhelming, to me , suggests no chance of changing the outcome[ in the future] and that is stretching it.

Salmond told us this was a once in a lifetime opportunity

Are the no campaign now telling us he is a man of his word and what he says is the truth and that is that then 😉
    Oh the irony 😀

And if we must quote him can we at least be aware of what he said. Its not like he even stated it as a fact.

Asked if he could pledge not to bring back another referendum if the Yes campaign does not win on Thursday, he said: “That’s my view. My view is this is a once in a generation, perhaps even a once in a lifetime, opportunity for Scotland.”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Damn, but he’s a clever lad.

Except that the joke isn’t really that funny, is it?

Here’s something both clever and very funny :

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Cj1b-rp1E[/video]

It made everyone, including the political adversaries which it was aimed at, laugh, uncontrollably. It makes me laugh every time I see it until I have to start wiping tears from my eyes.

And unlike Johnson William Hague is able to combine highly amusing wit with some serious politics. I don’t like Hague, he’s on the right of the party, but I do recognize that he has been a serious asset and effective politician for the Tories.

Johnson’s value appears to be based purely on the fact that he’s a bit of a clown and has amusing unkempt very blonde hair.

Northwind

tpbiker – Member

As Earnie pointed out its not democracy at all, as it appears that what the people of Scotland want only matters if they are pro independence.

You seem a little confused. We had the referendum, the result was a no vote and so we stayed in the UK, QED, what the people of Scotland wanted does matter. Because, as I say, democracy.

What would be undemocractic is saying “you voted on a thing once, so now it’s decided forever” So weirdly you seem to be arguing that the proven democratic vote is undemocratic, and an undemocratic response would be democratic.

tpbiker – Member

yet as you acknowledge if opinions were to turn back the other way at a future stage there would be no way of going back.

I said no such thing. What I said was, you couldn’t simply rerun the referendum. But that doesn’t mean there’d be no way back- just that the route back isn’t the same as the route there.

chewkw
    Free Member

D’oh! Wrong political thread … arrghhh … you lot …. 😡

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Who is the best politician in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.