Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Who is the best politician in the UK?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Certainly quite an impressive achievement. Personally I reckon he’s the best of all the party leaders.

On the other hand if he hadn’t destroyed his parties credibility by selling out to the Tories in exchange for a few ministerial cars and a useless AV referendum, then perhaps his party would have been well placed to offer a credible alternative to Labour and Tory in this election, continuing the progress they made in 2010 instead of reversing it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

And I agree that Hague would make a great Tory leader now

He doesn’t have the hair for it.

kcal

Was going to mention John Smith. Obviously he’s not current 🙁 wife was in attendance when he ws taken ill (the first time..)

Again from the past, would have said likes of Sam Galbraith, Dennis Canavan, even likes of Heseltine and John Biffen. Charles Kennedy – for all his foibles – as said he’s someone who says what I believe he believes in..

P-Jay
    Free Member

I always admired Tony Benn and Paddy Ashdown.

Paddy Ashdown especially, more pragmatic than the more idealistic Tony Benn and struck me as a practical, useful guy – current lot aside I’ve always like the liberals, no purely power mad type joins the Lib Dems, if you want to be PM one day you join the big two.

Not to mention if you look as his background, he was basically James Bond 😉

dantsw13

If more Tory bigwigs were like IDS and Hague, they would be much better off.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

To the OP – An oxymoron surely?

edhornby

Dantsw – are you serious about IDS ??? He’s horrendous, the things he’s doing right now to the benefits system and to probation services are shocking but the media are looking the other way for some unknown reason…

Ashdown should have been PM he would have been great just wrong timing 🙁

iolo
    Free Member

Hywel Williams Plaid Cymru helped me out of a bloody big hole so my vote goes for him. And he’s a genuinely nice guy.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

JHJ

It’s a really long-winded bluff.

Get a grip with your outlandish conspiracy theories, next you’ll be saying the illuminati (if they existed) are properly scared of me.

Anyhoo, back to the real world…

John Mann is excellent and pulls no punches, Paul Flynn is a good soul too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Always intrigued to know if John Smith would have been as great as we all hoped he would be.

IMO we was robbed by John Smith’s untimely death. He was an old school right-wing Labour politician, rather than a career politician who saw Labour as an easier vehicle for personal achievement and gain than the Conservative Party (You would be surprised with the advantages that private education and middle-class speech gives an ambitious person in the Labour Party – Tony Blair would more than likely have melted into insignificance in the Etonian dominated Conservative Party).

And as an old school right-wing Labour politician with personal integrity John Smith would have, despite obvious substantial differences with the left of the party of how to achieve the goals, had the same genuine commitment to a fairer society built on peace and social justice.

The man was a towering giant compared to the self-serving pygmy who followed him, imo.

scuttler

Bizarrely I’m alright about Rory Stewart after seeing his Middle Eastern documentary on the telly – Despite being a Tory, old-Etonian, PPE graduate, OBE (and sounding and looking like it). He’s had some involvement and responsibility in Middle Eastern affairs but he’s well informed, written books and most importantly walked extensively around the area so knows the people and places first hand (hurray – porfolio = experience!!). He has been the perpetual public servant through various jobs though so he loses points for that.

He’s not my MP though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Angela “take that” Eagle followed closely by good old Jacob R-M

allthepies
    Free Member

😯

Did you see her interview this morning when questioned about Labour’s unpaid interns ? 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Damn, missed it.

nick1962
    Free Member

Well if people are choosing dead and former politicians then I’ll hang my hat on Peter Tatchell,still alive and more of an activist but he certainly tried to get into parliament.Witty retorts from the floor of the house Skinneresque style are one thing but putting your own personal safety on the line for what you believe in takes real guts.His CV reads like a best of the libertarian STW threads compilation.If he had a beard and an SS he would be the biggest STW hitter of all time 🙂
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tatchell

Greybeard
    Free Member

Lots of suggestions for “which politician do you most respect” but the “best politician”, sadly, has to be Nigel Farage, who seems to have managed to persuade a lot of people who would never consider voting Tory to support a party that’s considerably more right wing than the Tories. I disagree with his views, but he’s very effective.

Northwind

franksinatra – Member

I quite Like Jim Murphy.

You are Jim Murphy and I claim my £5.

Honestly of the current bunch I’d say Farage. He’s an 8th dan shitehawk but he’s very good at what he does.

ernie_lynch – Member

IMO we was robbed by John Smith’s untimely death

My dad’s explanation of everything that’s wrong with Westminster politics- John Smith died and Tony Blair didn’t.

epicsteve
    Free Member

He’s an 8th dan shitehawk but he’s very good at what he does.

Better than Salmond though? Love him or hate him, he is effective.

CHB

The ones I respect come from many partys:
    Margaret Hodge (her select comittee work is uncompromising).
    Margaret Thatcher, dragged the country into the 21st century and saved us from being an inefficient mess like France.
    Danny Alexander deserves credit for being the brains to control George Osborne.
    I always used to say Jack Straw, but he is now tarnished.
    Cameron never answers a question thats asked (from personal and observed experience and for this reason I don’t respect him). Ed Milliband is the product of a dweeb being given PR steroids… trying to hard to connect and be butch.
    I would love to see some better characters in Labours front bench. Ther’s Andy Burnham who appears OK but not much else. Ed Balls is the one politician I have zero respect for.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Danny Alexander deserves credit for being the brains to control George Osborne.

Another soon to be ex-MP by the looks of it. Although given the choice if him or Douglas Alexander losing their seats I’d go for the latter. Douglas Alexander being a particularly nasty piece of work (as is his sister), where as Danny is merely a muppet.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get too carried with heaping praise on Farage’s political skills. Much of UKIP’s success has been down to Conservative, LibDem, and Labour failure, and the perceived lack of credibility of the established parties, rather than successful campaigning by UKIP. And quite frankly massive media publicity which no other party with so little parliamentary support enjoys.

In a region where there is a fairly credible alternative to the Conservatives, LibDem, and Labour, Scotland, UKIP do not do well at all.

Because UKIP is so dependent on the failure of their opponents rather than their own success there is very little substance behind them. This lack of solid core support has led to their support unraveling :

General Election 2015: Nigel Farage is on course to lose in South Thanet and Ukip faces wipeout, experts predict

If this prediction proves to be correct Farage will be resigning as party leader next month. I’m not sure whether a politician who repeatedly fails to get elected to Westminster, and whose party he leads fails after 20 years of existence to ever get more than 2 seats, can be described as being the best or most ‘effective’ politician.

mefty
    Free Member

If this prediction proves to be correct Farage will be resigning as party leader next month. I’m not sure whether a politician who repeatedly fails to get elected to Westminster, and whose party he leads fails after 20 years of existence to ever get more than 2 seats can be described as being the best or most ‘effective’ politician.

If there is a referendum on EU membership in the next few years then that would be down to UKIP and you would have to consider Farage effective, but it is a big if. For the same reason Salmond has been immensely effective.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ann Cryer speaks a lot of sense, but some people on here would probably acuse her of being racist.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s a difference between having an effect and being the most effective politician in the UK.

BTW I consider that UKIP are a serious hindrance in making the case for UK withdrawal from the EU.

There are lots of very sensible arguments in favour of UK withdrawal from the EU. Unfortunately as long as a party of fruitcakes, loonies, and closet racists, has a monopoly over the issue, they are never heard.

epicsteve
    Free Member

There’s a difference between having an effect and being the most effective politician in the UK.

I’m going with Salmond. He might have lost the independence referendum but it was closer than most expected and he’s put the SNP front and centre of UK politics in this election at least.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it was closer than most expected

Unless I’m not remembering correctly it was predicted be very close but there eventually turned out to be a clear 10% difference between the noes and the yeses ?

But either way I’m not convinced that makes Salmond the most effective politician in the UK.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Unless I’m not remembering correctly it was predicted be very close but there eventually turned out to be a clear 10% difference between the noes and the yeses ?

It wasn’t really predicted to be close – I was expecting something like 60:40 so getting to 55:45 and getting the Westminster parties in enough of a panic to make promises that they hadn’t even tested within their own parties was impressive. Him and the SNP may well change the face of UK politics.

camo16
    Free Member

Many of the names ^^^^ cited as ‘best’ haven’t really been effective/had that much of an impact across the UK. Makes me wonder what ‘best’ means in this sense. Maybe that’s the first question and the favourites square off from there?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was expecting something like 60:40

Against? Initially I was expecting the Yes to win but as we got closer to the day I realised that it was no longer likely. But I was surprised that the eventual result showed a clear and unambiguous rejection by a 10% margin.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Against?

Yes – I didn’t think there was any chance of a yes vote and I also thought a very narrow yes win would be bad news in the unlikely even it was to happen.

Initially I was expecting the Yes to win

There was never any chance of that. The next one could be different though.

mogrim

Better than Salmond though? Love him or hate him, he is effective.

Salmond got his bluff called by Cameron, and then lost. Cameron > Salmond, by a huge margin.

But despite Labour’s implosion Cameron couldn’t get a majority! Given that, I’d say Blair, maybe Boris Johnson or Livingston, but basically nobody given the current lot….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What next one ? The referendum has been held. There would only been one if the result had been yes, I can’t see why there needs to be more than one because the result was no.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Cameron is not a great politician, unless you’re measuring him against the idiots that the Labour party keep putting up, or a turncoat opportunist like Clegg.

matt_outandabout

Still at it?

Salmond, Sturgeon, Blair, Boris and Cable.

Not a comment on them being ‘right’, just they do it bloomin well.

epicsteve
    Free Member

What next one ?

The one that’ll happen after England votes to leave the EU, or after an anti-Scottish backlash when a minority Labour government is propped up by the SNP.

mefty
    Free Member

I wasn’t really trying to suggest who was the most effective, merely countering your analysis of Farage, which probably unfairly I read as you thinking him as ineffective. Single issue politicians are the easiest to judge on effectiveness – although your view that Farage is deterimental to the anti EU is new to me, do you really think the Left’s arguments against EU would have got more coverage without UKIP?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I would like to think that if there was a debate over continued EU membership that the left would have a chance to make the case against. Unfortunately the rantings of right-wing bigots appears to drown out all sensible debate on the issue.

Northwind

ernie_lynch – Member

But either way I’m not convinced that makes Salmond the most effective politician in the UK.

Got closer to delivering his party’s lifetime goal than anyone expected. Led the SNP to an overall majority in the Scottish parliament- something that it was designed to avoid. And now, the SNP’s going to be the 3rd biggest party in the UK with astonishing domination of Scottish Westminster seats. I don’t think many of the SNP’s own members saw this coming. And arguably, the rise of SNP support is what led to the Scottish Parliament being formed in the first place.

He also made a massive move towards widening suffrage to 16 year olds- that could prove a lasting legacy for the whole UK when/if westminster catches up

He didn’t achieve the overall goal and that’s got to count against him but that was always seen as a long shot, and he achieved massive things along the way, which I do reckon outweigh most achievements of modern party leaders. Put it another way; if they’d not pushed for the referendum at all and just sat on their laurels, we’d still call his leadership a massive success.

And yeah, including Farage, who we’re impressed is going to deliver an MP or two and then do nothing with them, Salmond’s work is going to give the SNP 20 times that and take seats that I can barely believe are even under threat.

(quite a lot of the credit for that goes to the Labour party o’course)

On the other hand; he was divisive even among his own support, he developed a leadership style which was very effective in growing the party but he didn’t seem to be able to get away from that once that job was done. And he’s probably a bit of a spent force now. And he didn’t achieve his top prize. So there’s a lot to detract.

ernie_lynch – Member

What next one ? The referendum has been held. There would only been one if the result had been yes, I can’t see why there needs to be more than one because the result was no.

Because democracy.

mefty
    Free Member

But they have got organised, they doesn’t seem to be an organised anti EU movement on the left.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well there is actually. Although obviously the right-press prefer UKIP.

If the point you’re making is that I should be thinking “well at least he’s making the case against the EU while no one else is”, I don’t think that. I would rather he didn’t. Every time he speaks against the EU I cringe.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Who is the best politician in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.