Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Who is overbiked??
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

We all know our skill level and the trails we usually ride, who feels they are really a bit less able than their bike??

I confess that my 6 inch heavy duty susser is mostly used because I'm a big bloke and hardtails hurt my arse!!

That and I've had it years

ton

just gone back to a 26'' 100mm h/tail
    so that's a no. 8)

Bregante

yep. but don't give a toss

saladdodger
    Free Member

Yes I am over biked too with my 456 have a look at page 103 of this months mag and you will understand

pedalhead
    Free Member

*raises hand*. Overbiked to the power of ten at least.

Edric64
    Free Member

100mm hardtail, 60mm hardtail, rigid single speed so not overbiked

epicsteve
    Free Member

Given that I can and do ride my local trails on an 80mm travel hardtail, then this is a bit of overkill – but fun:

jedi

no such thing, ride what ya brung

sofatester
    Free Member

Wise words Jedi.

speaker2animals

I was but as I sold the wheels off my Int Spider yesterday it is now unusable. Watch this space for the ongoing breaking and selling of said full susser.

petrieboy

all my bikes are considerably better than me, but Raleigh Activators are difficult to come by these days

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

got a 4" giant trance that i use for trail centre style riding and i took it to the alps. Currently looking to buy a charge blender too. so no on the xc side of things.

7" marin quake for forest of dean downhill and a yearly trip to morzine. I can justify it for the morzine trip but not forest of dean!

bigbloke
    Free Member

I was (possibly still am).

Only had a Marin Wolf Ridge 140mm front 150mm rear travel full suss, definitely overbiked for area and my ability.

Now built up a On One Summer Season, much better, save the suss for trips to the Welsh place. 8)

joolsburger
    Free Member

Maybe better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

RustyNissanPrairie

Bluepig with 140mm Vans and Profile bmx cranks. Ragged the absolute shit out of everytime I ride it. underbiked?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

for all but a tiny percentage of riders there will always be people capable of a lot more on the same bike as you – so my guess is that we are all 'overbiked'. We should give up and watch TV.

stompy

Yep, hugely but it's pretty and who really cares anyway, bet your all over car-ed (as in the vehicle) we could all get by in shit low powered cars….

I'm with Jedi, just ride it, who gives a toss if your overbiked…….

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i reckon…

overbiked 20% of the time
    just the right bike 75% of the time
    underbiked 5% of the time

i've only got one MTB though.

Northwind

Maybe a little, most of the time, but I reckon my Soul's a good fit for the riding I do. Taking the Hemlock to Glentress at the weekend, definately overbiked but it's great fun so what the heck. I might do penance and stick the rigid forks in the Soul for the next trip.

scotabroad

To misquote someone else:

"i'm not overbiked, I'm under terrained"

😀

Kahurangi

If I took the saddle off it wouldn't be long before my legs were burning. If I took a wheel off I'd rally struggle!!

So no, I'm not over-biked.

scaredypants

pretty sure I'm underbiked; something's holding me back

alpin
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie – Member

Bluepig with 140mm Vans and Profile bmx cranks.

can i see your bike, please….

DB Alpine 160mm…. yes/no. depends how, with whom and where i'm riding.

Rorschach
    Free Member

"i'm not overbiked, I'm under terrained".Likey 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

I have to admit to being slightly embarassed by my Alpine 160 when I'm back home and go for a wee nostalgia trip to Glentress… Fun though!

I'm also usually padded-up due to my "can't afford to get injured" policy so definitely look like I've gone way overboard!

Pretty keen to get a long-travel hardtail for this summer, need to see if funds allow. Would be fun out here in Sainte Foy on the flowy stuff and the pedally days as well as good for back home.

AlasdairMc

I've begun to think I'm overbiked on my Enduro as I'm having so much fun on my hardtail, but then I've not done any riding recently that really warrants rear suspension so it's understandable

Kamikirk
    Free Member

If you take the "Guns & Ammo" line – There is no overkill – if it is dead its done the job as required. The only issue is underkill where what you have is not up to the task in hand.

My Stiffee is definitely more capable than me but i love it and despite my best efforts I can't break it – So it does all i need it to and im happy as larry.

mk1fan
    Free Member

"i'm not overbiked, I'm under terrained"

So true 🙂

Anything but a rigid and I'm overbiked.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Don't really understand the question because there is nothing on my TranceX I would not be prepared to try on my Boardman HT, and vice versa. Just that the TranceX is much faster, more responsive, and better at saving my butt when I screw up. Both good though, just different.

giantjason
    Free Member

i ride my rigid DB Love/Hate around my local trails as they may as well be flat but for trips away to Peaks/Wales/Europe i take my DB 140mm forked Alpine which is great.

i probably don't use the bikes to their full potential…..so i assume that means i am overbiked too!

HansRey

usual ride is a merlin malt for the peaks on 1.95'' tyres, so that's perfect. The marin quake on the other hand, can just about justify it for wharnecliffe (if someone else is riding it!)

ex-pat
    Free Member

Wasn't. But now over here in Aus and a Heckler is just too capable to make a lot of the trails fun. DH bike is wasted too.
    On the other hand, hardtails are fun here!

markgraylish
    Free Member

To solve this problem, I've got four mtn bikes to choose from. So, I'm only under/over biked if I brought out the wrong one 😆

bol

I'm embarrassed when I ride my 100mm hardtail (it's very racey, and I'm a mid fielder at best), and I'm embarrassed when I ride my 6in full susser, because I live in Norfolk (less so when I ride it somewhere else). So, yep, overbiked and either underskilled or under terrained on both.

toys19
    Free Member

sofatester – Member

Wise words Jedi.

Indeed.

Overbiked is a meaningless word invented by duck training bureaucratic twanges who think there are rules to monitor everything. Imagine how dangerous life would be is you were underbiked/undercar-ed/underaeroplaned. What a load of effing booolocks. Its like its some kind of crime to ride around a on a big suspension bike unless everything is vertical. I reckon 99.999999999% of people on here own their bikes becasue of a major driving factor -desire, its got nothing to do with whats the right bike for x or y terrain. In theory we should all be overbiked, otherwise our bikes would brake every time we went riding.

jackal
    Free Member

Who cares?

Get on your bike and ride it, simples.

yunki
    Free Member

I'm overworked and underbiked….

firestarter
    Free Member

as we used to say when i was in the forces. Peace thru superior firepower. It also applies to bikes and trails 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Completly overbiked. Infact all 5 of them are more bike than I can justify.

But then, hell, why not??

If I where to buy a bike that was worthy of my skillz then I'd been down at TESCO..

Bagstard
    Free Member

My Demo 8 is overkill for my local woods, but if I cycle the four miles there and back I think I have earned that right. Standing all the way as seat post is far too short to sit and pedal.

Given the choice I prefer to be overbiked.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Who is overbiked??’ is closed to new replies.