Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Who is making the world a worse place but don't care cos they get paid £££
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Plus, I ride to work, so even my commute is emissions-free!

Sorry to burst your eco bubble SaxonRider, but having kids is one of the most environmentally un-friendly things you can do 😉

Although to be fair, I’d rather the world was full of kids as decent as yours!

bigjim

Currently going through this having been offered an opportunity to return to O&G and double my current salary.

I’m a realist and in defence of working in O&G, I drive, fly, use plastic, drugs and many other things derived from oil. As much as I believe in and love renewable energy, I believe every exploitable resource of hydrocarbons will be exploited with time, even if transport moves towards electric propulsion.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i once photographed an air to ground missile for a uk technology company. i had no issue with this as at the end of the day it was part of a larger photographic job that kickstarted my career and was a huge chunk of money (i’m talking house deposit size) the company also produced tech that helped with energy saving/ environment and healthcare and was a spin-off from government owned interests so your tax payers money was paying for them (and me!) too. if i didn’t do the job somebody else would have done it.

the rep drove it across london in the boot of his car! it was a non lethal dummy one though.

freeagent
    Free Member

I work on the edges of the Defence industry.
    We design and build cooling systems for Navy Ships and Submarines.
    My Dept mostly deals with UK Navy.

I actually work for a huge American company, who in some ways are skating on fairly thin ice on the lake of morality.
    In fact Hilary Clinton highlighted their antics as being ‘morally bankrupt’ during a TV interview before the election.

The way I see it, is our Navy spend more time doing good/positive suff than killing people, and if I didn’t do it, someone else would – and I’d probably be in a slightly less well paid job which means my kids ballet lessons might get the chop – so no, it doesn’t keep me awake at night.

longmover
    Free Member

mugsys_m8 – Member
    Looks outside at the Malian wilderness destoyed by a huge operation to obtain 2-3g of yellow shiny metal per tonne of material by blasting the material out of the ground and then pouring lots of cyanide on it…..

That said, I am currently responsible for supervising the building of a dam that is supposed to keep all the contaminated waste in the lagoon and not go flowing across the country….. So my job, I could argue is to minimise the extent of the worse place…..best get off STW and go and see what they have been up to today!

In recent years it’s either been similar or making sure the pipelines carrying the black gold don’t get wiped out by landslides/ earthquakes etc etc….

Sounds like what I used to do, and want to get back into doing.

mugsys_m8

IainC: It is 😆
    longmover: exact field? drop me an e-mail if you want: danjDOTheywoodATgmailDOTcom. You could work for Iain, but I hear it’s not too glamorous up there!

molgrips
    Free Member

i once photographed an air to ground missile for a uk technology company

Honestly cannot imagine how to approach a shoot like that!

DrJ

I’m a lawyer.

End of thread.

Flaperon

I’m a fairly staunch environmentalist but drive planes for a living. In my defence, if I didn’t do it someone else would, and probably not as efficiently.

Also, I’d have to work for a living.

flanagaj
    Free Member

RBS & BAE. I’ve done both!

mefty
    Free Member

Noone is really trying, are they?

somafunk

Who is making the world a worse place but don’t care cos they get paid £££

Certainly not me, according to my P60 (received this week) i made a lowly £4908 as a chocolatier which is prob due to only working 14 hrs a week or less, which i imagine will drop further as i’m finding it difficult to stand for 3 hrs a day at work so i’m thinking i should just quit and focus on my health/exercise, but i feel i did prob make the world a far better place last year as i set up three grow rooms for folk who have MS, only 4 to 6 plants per set-up so quite easily arguable by myself in a jury trial, especially against the police expert witnesses, very easily maintained once set up and running with regard to the severity of their MS condition limitations yet very productive/per sq ft.

The sooner the Scottish government makes a change with the current legislation the better as i may be able to make a actual living for myself and help others legally rather than merely surviving week to week with the fear of my door getting kicked in again.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Who is making the world a worse place but don't care cos they get paid £££’ is closed to new replies.