Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Who is currently Britain's best sports person?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Based on how they rank amongst their peers, the profile of the sport, and consistency I’d have to go for Andy Murray. Competing in at a time when quality has never been higher, hes without fail a top 4 player, currently number 2.

I’d considered Mo Farah, with his vast array of gold medals, but for me Murray pips him due to the sport he competes in.

I’ve discounted Wiggins as, despite being an absolute legend and still active, his best achievements have been in the past, and I’m going on current form, ie over last 12 months

Discuss…

MSP

Rachel Atherton!

It is always hard to say when someone is so dominant if its a period of low quality or if they are that good, IMO for Rachel it is the later.

duncancallum

Atherton. Top of her game and absolutely dominant

scaled
    Free Member

Got to agree withMSP there.

anagallis_arvensis

Surely Froome has been consistently at the top more than Murray?
    Cav too has been head and shoulders the best for a long time and is still mixing it at the top. Murray has never been the worlds best.
    That F1 fella too.
    Lots with greater standing in yheir sports yhan Murray

salad_dodger

Alastair Brownlee. Head and shoulders above everyone else.

muggomagic

Lewis Hamilton back to back world championships and well placed to make it 3. Gareth Bale huge part of Real and Wales success in the last year.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Whilst undoubtably brilliant, Atherton’s success comes in a fairly minority sport, hence why I never considered her. Thats no disrespect to her, but I don’t think there are many ladies whove ever given down hill biking a go.

I also think we may be a bit bias given its ‘our’ sport. There are probably equally dominant people in other minority sports that we’ve never heard of, although dont ask me to name any

Its all opinions however – I personally think Rach is brilliant.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Why does there have to be an out and out best (imo)?
    I think it’s great that there are so many that we should be celebrating the collective.
    It’s Nigel Owens btw. 😉

tpbiker
    Free Member

As for Lewis Hamilton…really? All that is conclusive is he is mildly better than his team mate. Remember Jenson won a world title when he had the best car as well..

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Lizzie Armitstead’s in with a shout.

I’d go for Cav especially if he wins tomorrow’s stage of the Tdf.

tpbiker
    Free Member

ps…I knew this topic would get the collective juices of the forum flowing!

Spin
    Free Member

Jasmin Paris. A female runner mixing it up with the men. Inspirational.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its definitely not the person who consistently comes second in the world….though he is still scotland’s greatest sports person 😉

Alastair Brownlee. Head and shoulders above everyone else.

THIS

Shit sport though 😛

DezB
    Free Member

Big sport: Kell Brook

Little sport: Graham Jarvis (watch it, it’s incredible.)

66deg
    Free Member

Hands down Eddie The Eagle accept no substitutes .

tpbiker
    Free Member

Kell Brook

You mean the Kell Brook who has one decent name on his ledger? you might as well say Tyson Fury!

Thinks hes got amazing talent, but far from proven himself yet in a division packed with talent.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Elbry

muggomagic

I think Hamilton’s wins in his 1st few seasons in F1 show what a fantastic driver he is.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Phil Taylor?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think Hamilton’s wins in his 1st few seasons in F1 show what a fantastic driver he is.

Fair point – hes been better than all his teammates in his career, and is right at the top of his game.

nickc

Hamilton definitely 3 world champs! equal to senna’s record.

Greg Rutherford.

olddog

Gareth Bale? World class in the sport with by far the highest professional participation?

Otherwise Mo Farrah

Inbred456
    Free Member

Murray without a doubt. No sport is as mentally tough or as technical more lonely and as physical as tennis. Lots of sports as tough on one or maybe even two levels but no other sport in my opinion is as tough on multiple levels.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Lizzie.

seosamh77
    Free Member

canny be an F1 driver, F1 is keek. plus if you need to use an engine it’s no a proper sport.

I’d go with Bale if he takes wales into the final.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Whoever gets paid the most money, so Murray, mcilroy or Hamilton.

Rockape63
    Free Member

No sport is as mentally tough

Apart from golf which another level altogether!

MSP

Whilst undoubtably brilliant, Atherton’s success comes in a fairly minority sport, hence why I never considered her. Thats no disrespect to her, but I don’t think there are many ladies whove ever given down hill biking a go.

How many have given formula 1 a go, or even open wheel racing? If you start discounting athletes in less popular sports then nobody counts unless they are a footballer.

IMO if british cycling promoted our mountain bikers as much as they do our tracj cyclists (which is even more minority than mtb) then Rachel would be a national hero, up there with Hoy, Wiggins and Boardman.

muggomagic

Jess Ennis-Hill

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s a bit sad if we pick someone who is not proven top of their sport, so that rules out Murray and Bale for me. I’m no big fan of motorsport, but it’s hard to argue against Hamilton and much as I dislike the bloke, Froome is right up there in a sport that britain isn’t traditionally great in isn’t he? McIlroy is UK rather than GB isn’t he?

IMO if british cycling promoted our mountain bikers as much as they do our tracj cyclists (which is even more minority than mtb) then Rachel would be a national hero, up there with Hoy, Wiggins and Boardman.

very good point. Better to watch too.

colournoise

Best competitor? Greg Rutherford hands down I reckon.
    Most dominant? Rachel Atherton, but as already said in a minority sport so could equally go to Farah.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Little sport: Graham Jarvis (watch it, it’s incredible.)

I agree but unfortunately few have heard of him. He’s won the 2 hardest trials in the world a few times, the SSDT 4 times & the Scott 9 times (grown men cry doing the Scott) British trials champion 5 times.
    Now he’s changed to extreme enduro & is doing quite well.

binners

😆

matt_outandabout

Ben Ainslie.

Multiple world cup and world champion, across multiple classes and 15 years. 5x Olympian, 4 gold and one silver medal.
    America’s cup skipper and winner. Let’s see what this summer brings.

milky1980
    Free Member

Without having read the previous replies I’d have said Lewis Hamilton or Rachel Atherton. Nice to see some of you agree 😀

Lewis due to him arriving on the circuit with a bang, 1 point off world champion at the first time of asking while up against a ruthless Alonso, then being one of the eminent drivers for every season since. He’s currently the standard others are judged by.

Rachel as she’s winning everything despite pressure from the top 3 or 4 other ladies, mainly Manon btu there’s others who could beat her on any weekend if she has a bad one. Her consistency is astounding over a few seasons, even changing manufacturer didn’t put her off!

Out of those two I’d go for Rachel as she’s in a minority sport without the huge trappings of fame and she has invested in growing the sport by sponsoring grass roots events.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m kind of hoping it’s Chris Coleman in about 45 minutes…

Rachel

muggomagic

I genuinely feel sorry for Gareth Bale having to go back to training seeing Ronaldo’s smug face.

wilburt
    Free Member

Murrays ranked third or fourth, motor racings not a proper sport.
    The only one considered No1 worldwide is Froome, but I s’pose to some he’s not really British.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Andy Murray
    Jessica Ennis-Hill

Rachel gets a very honourable mention

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Who is currently Britain's best sports person?’ is closed to new replies.