• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ski.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Who I likes the bikes part of cycling, rather than the riding part of cycling?
  • c_klein87

Don’t get me wrong me I do love riding, but I also like the bikes more than the riding sometimes, I’m always eyeing up frames, bikes and parts I’d like, even though it wouldn’t make a massive difference over the stuff I have already. I blame it partly on being a designer, as I appreciate the form and the function of the parts. Does anyone else think this?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im the same. I strangley often prefer to be in the shed stripping, building or re-building rather than riding 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh yes, me too. I call myself a compulsive mechaninc. I love it. Just started building wheels too, which I find oddly relaxing……
    😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Absolutely. They say go to your happy place – mine’s the shed

loddrik
    Free Member

I like the being out on my own in the middle of nowhere part of cycling

jam-bo

bikes are just a tool. buy the best you can afford, ride it til it breaks, buy another one.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yep, I’m with you guys on this one. I love parts and building, rebuilding, etc, etc. I don’t have a shed and the garage is a bit too chilly for my liking – therefore, there’s normally at least one of my bikes in our lounge! 🙂

My husband thought it was a bit strange the other night when he asked what I wanted to do for ‘date night’ and I replied – “Can we build up my ss together?!” I think he’s used to it now though…

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I’m with loddrik – sort of as that would mean that neither of us would be alone and that would be a different thing

DezB
    Free Member

Me too. I like everything about mountain bikes.
    Except Octalink bottom brackets!

Ti29er
    Free Member

I’m the complete opposite. The training is way more important than the steed.
    My LBS is building my latest creation (it’ll be bike no5 in the shed) , I had all the bits but don’t much care for the spannering – time wasted in many ways.

Tim

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, I’m in there as well. Guess it’s the engineer in me and explains why I worked in a bike shop while I was at uni.

You know it’s bad when you find some of the tools as appealing as some of the bits you fit them with. You should see my enduro HTII bearing fitting tool!

nukeproof
    Free Member

Yeah but it tends to be seasonal; in the winter months way to much time spent in the shed, on CRC/ebay etc swapping bits to get the ride ‘just right’. Then the Summer comes and I rather be out there riding than faffing.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I do enjoy fettling, but I love riding more.

I used to be a right kit freak when I worked in bike shops, and could get stuff cheap. But that evaporated when I stopped working there. Spose I became a bit too engrossed in the technical aspect, and ignored the riding bit.

I probbly ride off road more now than I did then (still don’t off road it that much), and worry less about kit. Most of my stuff is a few years old at least, or second hand. I really quite enjoy putting together a bike out of spare bits I have lying around.
    I don’t obsess over kit so much. Rather spend me money on other stuff, a lot of the time. What I have is perfectly ok, and I can really enjoy meself, so I don’t need more/betterer bits.

samuri
    Free Member

nah, for the most part it’s just a bike for me. Some are a bit special and obviously some are nicer rhan others but it’s being out riding that matters to me. If I decide to go out on my nicest bike and it turns out to have a puncture, I’ll quite happily grab the crappest bike and ride that instead.

twohats
    Free Member

I prefer the riding aspect the most, preferably on my own too! Not that I don’t enjoy riding with others.
    After 12 years plus working as a bike mechanic (now ex mechanic) I try to spend as little time as possible working on my bikes.
    I do enjoy new kit and bikes though…

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I know what you mean. I’m getting lots of pleasure from putting a home workshop together at the moment, permanent stand, bench, peg board for my tools – all hanging neatly – that sort of thing.

It’s even all in matching ‘park tool blue’ as well. How bleedin sad is that?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

absolutely not! I resent my all-too-fallible bike and wish I could do without it – however I lack the sheer lunacy of the fell runner 🙂 For all their manifold failings, mountain bikes extend our reach on the fells, and make the boring sloggy bits pass faster!

emac65
    Free Member

It’s the riding & fitness part for me.The bike is just something I throw my leg over & as long as it rides well I’m happy.
    This morning I went out on my Saracen Mantra,the frame cost me less than £20,the wheels about the same & all the other bits were lying about.I Had a blast,but have noticed that other riders are more reluctant to pass the time of day with me on my cheapo bike.Thought it was just me at first but when I’m on my blinged up Trance it’s a different story.

Do all my own spannering but that’s just because I don’t trust some dumb ass bike mechanic(LOL,mechanic,that always makes me laugh)to do a decent job………….Oh & because I’m too tight to pay their stupid prices as well…

finbar
    Free Member

I find that the more i ride, the less i care about bikes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

also I was happy to discard my multi-£1000 full suss for a cheapo hardtail which is if anything more fun to ride (if more challenging in some circumstances)

ski
    Free Member

samuri – Member

nah, for the most part it’s just a bike for me. Some are a bit special and obviously some are nicer rhan others but it’s being out riding that matters to me. If I decide to go out on my nicest bike and it turns out to have a puncture, I’ll quite happily grab the crappest bike and ride that instead.

That’s just about spot on how I feel about it, looking back its the rides and not the bikes that stand out.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Who I likes the bikes part of cycling, rather than the riding part of cycling?’ is closed to new replies.