Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Who here rides Holmbury Hill?
  • harrymunro
    Free Member

I just discovered the wonderful trails here having spent most of my riding in Box Hill/Ranmore/Mickelham. Sadly broke my wrist yesterday coming down that banky rollercoaster like trail, but it was great seeing so many riders in one place. Soon as I’m fixed Holmbury is my first point of call.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I do, when I get out. There are trails on Leith Hill as well, though I prefer Holmbury personally.

that banky rollercoaster like trail

You must mean either Yoghurt Pots or Barry Knows Best. Does it finish by a tarmac’d road or out onto a wide trail?

How did you break your wrist?

harrymunro
    Free Member

Yoghurt Pots that’s the one.

Something went wrong about 1/3 way down on a flat but rocky section, just after the pedally bit and before entering the slalom again. Bike went one way, I went the other and the landing surface was “pokey rocks”. Was certain when it happened as I lay there for five swearing that hip and shoulder were broken, but in the end only my wrist was. Bit of bone floating around hopefully back in action week or two 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    harrymunro
    Free Member

Is it possible to park up at Leith?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

harrymunro – Member
    Is it possible to park up at Leith?

Park in Peaslake (at the larger car park up past the village hall)

Be sure to visit the village shop at the end of a ride as well, great cakes and samosas etc. Nice little bike shop opposite the nice pub, too.

harrymunro
    Free Member

Sounds good. I have heard that Peaslake is the place to be…

Stuey01
    Free Member

Yeah, you can park at Leith Hill. There is a car park on Leith Hill Road.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I give this thread about 40 minutes before it descends into the usual slagging and bitching about access, trail building, posing, mincing, all the gear no idea, southern softies, not real biking farce.

Having said all that, Harry welcome to the fold. It’s great when you suddenly discover what you’ve been missing all these years!

The golden rule is ‘see one, do one, show one’, which means you learn the trails by initially being shown, then exploring them yourself and then showing some one else. It makes the area far friendlier and rewarding if you live by that mantra.

montarius
    Free Member

Yeh loads of places to park in the Surrey Hills. Check out an OS map (bing maps) to find the location of all the car parks. Best place to park is Peaslake though and do a Holmbury / Leith hill loop.

harrymunro
    Free Member

The golden rule is ‘see one, do one, show one’, which means you learn the trails by initially being shown, then exploring them yourself and then showing some one else. It makes the area far friendlier and rewarding if you live by that mantra.

I shall remember this, thanks.

senorj

I was up there on Saturday.
    I did a tour of Newby(?) hall (the other side of the a24 to Mickelham),Ranmore,Leith,Holmbury,Pitch,Winterfold,Ranmore & Box.
    Lovely.

The golden rule is ‘see one, do one, show one’

+1.
    I still find new bits every ride.

Stuey01
    Free Member

did a tour of Newby(?) hall (the other side of the a24 to Mickelham),Ranmore,Leith,Holmbury,Pitch,Winterfold,Ranmore & Box.

sounds like a big ride. My problem is whilst I know my way around Leith and Holmbury I don’t know how to string it together.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’sounds like a big ride. My problem is whilst I know my way around Leith and Holmbury I don’t know how to string it together.

I didn’t either until recently, then a mate showed me a track that leads from the back of Leith down a pretty good rocky piece of singletrack over to Holmburry St Mary. There is also an equally interesting reciprocal climb back up from the same place.

Stuey01
    Free Member

geetee, that sounds just the ticket. Can you describe it?

geetee1972
    Free Member

geetee, that sounds just the ticket. Can you describe it?

Sure. Easiest way is to click on the following link: &searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]Abinger Common

You can then see that there are a couple of bridleways and footpaths that go west to east up through Abinger Common. Once you’re at the top of these, you can make your way onto Leith Hill by whatever means you like.

It’s a more interesting way to and from Leith than going via High Ashes Farm, which is a real drag of a climb and descent.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve been exploring there on and off for 8 years
    still get lost and still can’t remember where half the trails I’ve been shown are.
    just follow other people who look like they know where they’re going – especially those who aren’t mincing around Barry Knows Best and Yoghurt Pots…

Stuey01
    Free Member

Thanks geetee.

akak
    Free Member

I ride Holmbury from the YHA carpark, its a good place to pick up the STW trailguide.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s ace up there during the week. I avoid weekends these days.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s a great area for riding. I’d suggest parking at Car park 9 on Horsham Lane midway between Leith and Holmbury.

Thanks for that link gt saves a boring climb.

senorj

My problem is whilst I know my way around Leith and Holmbury I don’t know how to string it together.

It’s taken a couple of years to get it to flow , I’ve been shown some of it , the rest was map & compass job – lots of getting lost.
    All the “hills” mentioned form a neat circle , so it’s just a case of stringing it together clockwise or anticlockwise.
    It works out around 45mile and includes alot of the greatest hits of the area – bkb & yog pots etc and some I don’t know the names to.

RickyRah
    Free Member

All the “hills” mentioned form a neat circle , so it’s just a case of stringing it together clockwise or anticlockwise.
    It works out around 45mile and includes alot of the greatest hits of the area – bkb & yog pots etc and some I don’t know the names to.

Would you happen to have a gpx/tcx file of your route? I generally get lost everytime I ride in the surrey hills and I’m sure I miss all the best trails.

continuity
    Free Member

I was shown the trails on Holmbury (BKB, YP, Telegraph – are there other good ones?), and one of the trails on Leith (Summer Lightning), and found deliverance, the trail that rolls off left of deliverance that lands you on wolvens lane (what is this called?), and the trail before deliverance that drops in from the close side of the cricket pitch (regurgitator? like yoghurt pots but seemingly uphill).

senorj

Would you happen to have a gpx/tcx file of your route?

I do but on sportstracker on my phone.
    I’m a bit of a luddite and have never downloaded them or sent them before.I only use it for mileage.sorry.

I’m sure someone off here will be along with a map of singletrack treasures soon.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Geetee, trying to follow your Abinger advice above. Is it the track that goes from the phone sign across to Feldbury?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hasn’t some of that bridleway that passes by High Ashes Farm got some good sweeping bits it that are quite fun in the dry?

Other than that that drag is one of the main ‘work-off some weight’ bits that justifies the treacle cake and hot chocolate you have just had at the tower.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I will find out in a couple of hours!!

spacemonkey

Did a proper session focusing only on Leith Hill on Sat and was surprised at;

1) how few riders there were
    2) the number of trails (typically the little linky bits west/northwest of the tower) that looked like they’re weren’t being ridden much

Was a bit weird. So many bits of trail with barely any signs of use.

Perhaps all the tourist types are hanging out around the mecca that is BKB? 🙂 Which is fine by me cos there’s so much stuff in the area these days.

EDIT: finally found Trench Warfare again after originally discovering it 5-6 years ago. Short trail, but kind of funky in trenchy kind of way.

spacemonkey

IMO it’s good to give the area a miss for a few weeks every now and then. Seasonal changes and the odd new bit of trail always make it a welcome return.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I know my way around Leith, Pitch, Holmbury and Winterfold pretty well but find and am shown new stuff all them time. The whole “tourist” moniker that BKB and the Pots have is a little unfair as they are both great fun to ride especially at speed. I have to agree the climb up Greensands way is a bit of a pain in the arse and really not the best route up to Leith but it’s a laugh on the way down at speed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I will have an explore (2) then.

I only tend to ride during weeks to avoid the (apparent) crowds and always amazed at how few people are around.

spacemonkey

I have to agree the climb up Greensands way is a bit of a pain in the arse and really not the best route up to Leith

That steep bit as you head up to the farm is a good test of strength at the end of a long ride.

but it’s a laugh on the way down at speed.

I remember me and a mate hooking up with a motocross blokey at the top a few years ago. He left us standing after the first few bends. Must’ve reached the bottom 20 secs quicker. He was bonkers on all the DH/ and swoopy stuff.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you’re talking about that brick surfaced bit right at the end I agree it’s a bugger that, especially if it’s the last climb of the day!

spacemonkey

Yeah, it’s probably the roughest bit. I think it’s just after what used to be the entrance to a secret trail that’s now barred (by the gate) … used to head into a narrow, twisty section in the woods that spun you out halfway down Greensand Lane.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Greensland was not as bad as I expected in fact quite good fun. Took path through quarry which was a mistake though! Climb up to Leith also surprisingly steady.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Who here rides Holmbury Hill?’ is closed to new replies.