Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Who here has 15QR Fox forks?
  • Kit
    Free Member

I was chatting to Mojo about the cost of changing my F120RL lowers for the 15mm bolt thru ones, and the guy I was speaking to was of the opinion that they weren't worth it! He was saying that the Float and Vanilla forks that have a hollow brace it makes no real difference between the 9mm and 15mm versions, and that you really need the hatched/crossed brace to get the benefit.

Anyone care to comment? And indeed, anyone with these forks in Edinburgh that I can have a wee try out on?

Was seriously considering the upgrade until he mentioned this…

DickBarton

I've got them…and to me I occasionally feel a difference…not when I'm thinking about it and more at times when I'm expecting the wheel to slide away or deflect – I'm not fast so have plenty of time to think about this sort of daftness.

In general riding I don't think they make any difference and I've only 'felt' that I've noticed the benefit a couple of dozens times, it isn't something I notice every ride (and isn't something I can replicate repeatedly – which makes me think it is all in my head).

Other than that, I prefer the way the front wheel is held in place – bit slower to remove/replace but holds the wheel far more securely – and again I think this is all in my head as I've never had a front wheel fall out the fork whilst using a QR.

I've got the F120RL's (came with the Mount Vision), the forks themselves seem to be very good so it certainly hasn't made them any worse.

mcboo
    Free Member

I have an old set of Talas 32 130mm, got a new pair of 15mm 140mm this year. Cant say I really notice that much difference at all in flex (I dont find the old QR flexy)……

Ewan
    Free Member

I've got a set of 09 140mm floats (incidently they *do* have the hatched brace…) with 15QR. They're stiffer than my last set of QR forks (Z1 Freerides so not exactly flexy!) but not as stiff as my 20mm thru axle forks (Magura Wotans which are beastly stiff). So basically what you'd expect. You notice the stiffness difference when breaking and turning hard in rock gardens.

Ewan
    Free Member

I've got a set of 09 140mm floats (incidently they *do* have the hatched brace…) with 15QR. They're stiffer than my last set of QR forks (Z1 Freerides so not exactly flexy!) but not as stiff as my 20mm thru axle forks (Magura Wotans which are beastly stiff). So basically what you'd expect. You notice the stiffness difference when breaking and turning hard in rock gardens.

the_lecht_rocks

stiffer [nioticeable, but not huge], and much more secure

Rickos
    Free Member

They're still a wee bit flexy compared to Rock Shox maxle forks ('09 150mm Talas). I don't really notice in my normal UK riding, but did notice on the steep, rocky, tight hairpin bends of the Alps when coming into the corner hard on the brakes with all your weight on the front and trying to turn at the same time. Not much of that sort of malarkey where I ride in the UK though! 😀

The Fox chap is prolly right.

Kit
    Free Member

Thanks guys, that saves me £200!

I've got the F120RL's

As an aside, do you get anywhere near full travel from them? My original enquiry to TFTuned (not Mojo as my OP says…) was about getting more travel from them, as currently they ramp up so strongly that I miss the last 15mm-ish of travel. Apparently sorted by pouring most of the oil out of the left leg!

DickBarton

I couldn't tell you – I'm too lazy to put a zip tie round the fork and check it out…I doubt I am but I can't tell how much I'm missing (if any)…

GaryLake
    Free Member

I've ridden Floats 9mm and 15QR and noticed a fair difference but then it was the 140mm ones with the hatched brace.

GaryLake
    Free Member

My 15QR Vanillas started to get a bit out of their depth Sat but I was riding them down the CwmCarn DH course so probably starting to go beyond their intended use lol.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate has a set of FLoat 140's on his Orange Five with QR15, he had float 130's with normal QR on hie meta, sez there's really no difference.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I suppose agree to disagree – for the record, I've ridden an '08 Five with 9mm QR Floats and an '09 Five with 15QR Floats, both and I noticed the 15QR…

orange
    Free Member

sorry but am i missing something here? if you buy a new 15QR lower, don't they come with the hatched brace?

my 2008 Float 140mm QR had the hatched brace btw, but were flexier than a noodle… mojo recently quoted me £129 for new 15QR lowers

Richyb
    Free Member

I've had 130 floats and 140 floats with normal quick release as well as 140 with 15mm bolt thru and I don't think they make very much difference at all, certainly nothing like the difference with a 20mm bolt through pair of 36's.

gizzardman
    Free Member

I recently went from some QR Revs 08 to 09 Floats with 15mm QR. I can't believe that some people don't notice the difference because to me it was like night and day. I'm a big guy (15st) and regularly used to feel the front wheel wash out/buckle slightly when going into a corner at speed, now that's completely gone. Maybe it's more noticeable if you're a big chap and feel flex with your current forks but a 100% improvement for me.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I'm only 11st and to me it was night and day…

Edit: someone'll be along shortly and want research and data to back it up of course… lol

Richyb
    Free Member

11 stone here too.

el_diablo
    Free Member

I've got an 08 Orange 5 SE with 08 Talas 9mm qr and an 09 Marin Rocky Ridge with 09 Float R QR15. I do my 9mm Hope qr as tight as I possibly can on the Orange and can't say I've noticed any difference in stiffness. (Both forks have hatched braces). I do ride them both pretty damn hard too.

I might be being dumb here, but surely the wheel will still flex side to side even if the bloomin' hub was welded on? Or am I missing the point?

eth3er
    Free Member

I've got a pair of floats 140s with 15mmQR on a hardtail, I'm never riding fast enough to notice anything I'd call flex. I don't have an internal flexometer. Maybe I must try harder.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Who here has 15QR Fox forks?’ is closed to new replies.