Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • who here can do a pistol squat?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Tried doing one a few months ago and failed miserably.. then at the weekend after a few beers we all tried the sit down rise test:

(Where only 3 of the 5 of us could do it)

I then tried the pistol squat and found I can now do it (woohoo). I put it down to doing a few deadlifts in the gym

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nope, not possible/advisable with my meniscus damage and absense of ACL’s

egb81
    Free Member

Can get down fully on my left leg, though getting up is a little trickier as my balance is terrible. Right leg is nowhere near as good due to a massive knee injury last year but is, according to my physio, better than most.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trickydisco
    Free Member

Can get down fully on my left leg, though getting up is a little trickier as my balance is terrible. Right leg is nowhere near as good due to a massive knee injury last year but is, according to my physio, better than most.

I’m the same. My right leg is far stronger but my left is a struggle

willard

Not quite. I need a little bit of help from a box or something, then I can. I used to be able to when I was doing TKD, but then again, I was also 20 years younger and had not ruined my knees.

IHN

What’s a pistol squat?

sobriety
    Free Member

Nope, pressure through my ankles like that would definitely dislocate the left one, due to mashing it repeatedly in falls/crashes.

sandwicheater

I’m too scared to try.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I did the SRT with a slight stumble back. Getting my work chums onto it. Can’t get real low with the pistol squat.

rocketman
    Free Member

hahahahaha

No

trickydisco
    Free Member

for IHN

toby1

Hell no, I weigh enough to make it very hard work for a single leg. It is a few months since I tried a free standing one though.

I can with some support on one hand, but that’s more of a preparation for the proper pistol.

Saw James Woods I think it was (Olympic freeskier) on a video doing these with a weight on a balance board, show off!

ads678

I very much doubt it!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup, no problem at all with the sitting/rising thing. Pistol squat stung my quads a bit, but then I’m a) doing it from cold, b) got DOMS from last night’s gym session.

ahwiles
    Free Member

not even close.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I’ve tried it before and just managed it.

Getting up from cross legged is made harder than it was when I was a kid by simply being larger, it’s harder to get my CoG over my feet than it was, I fall backwards unless I take a big swing forwards first.

IHN

Hang on…

IHN

No.

user-removed
    Free Member

Really? Nae bother for a skinny wee chap like myself.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Not a chance, feels like my knee is going to explode. I wouldn’t even say it’s a muscular thing, it just feels like my leg can bend no further, I can’t keep my knee over my toe enough.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Both those exercises are used in the yoga class I attended. The sitting rising bit is easy enough, pistol squats, I am ok on one side but find it harder on the other. It also depends how much riding i have done that week!

reformedfatty
    Free Member

That shouldn’t even be remotely difficult unless you have serious issues like missing ACL as mentioned above. Try 10 reps of that between 25m sprints as a relay to make it interesting. Group size for that exercise was just under 50, and all could do it.

matts
    Free Member

Pistols are all about balance and proprioception – much more so than strength.

I used to do sets holding a barbell weight, even though I’m your classical roadie who looks like he’s just been liberated from Auschwitz.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

proprioception

Had to look that one up…

and no, last time I tried something like that I nearly blew my knee

Chainline
    Free Member

Too much knee damage resulting in reduced flexibility. I can’t get my legs far enough ‘under’ to push up. Pistol however is fine.

prawny

I can do the get up test no problem, I can’t do a pistol squat without falling over, in fact, I can’t squat anywhere near as low without weight as I can with it. I think my arse is too heavy and it pulls me over backwards.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Yay! Ok it took 3 goes lol fatso 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hang on…

Phone video required of you trying that in the office 😉

These sorts of thigs you can train for / practice. Its quite unlikley that average perspn can just do this from scratch. Bit like Yoga moves the more you do them the better you’ll get, combination of strength, flexibility and technique

slimjim78
    Free Member

I see your pistol squat and raise you a trebuchet flop..

slowoldman

Ah well, apparently not. Well, I’m sure I could but my knees immediately said “don’t even think about it”.

As for the sit/rise thing, that’s OK. The trick is getting your weight well forward for the rise.

lunge

Me, I can, well, I could last night anyway. If I try it now I’m likely to split the trousers of my suit and get some very odd looks from the office.

MrNice
    Free Member

I can’t get very low on the pistol squat but I can do them (ish) both sides.

A few years ago I could get up from the ground like that (sit down with legs out in front, bend one leg so foot is sole down, rock forward and stand up). I’m not going to try now because I think it’ll be depressing.

trickydisco
    Free Member

That shouldn’t even be remotely difficult unless you have serious issues like missing ACL as mentioned above. Try 10 reps of that between 25m sprints as a relay to make it interesting. Group size for that exercise was just under 50, and all could do it.

How unfit/rubbish do we feel now 🙁

dannyh
    Free Member

I am much disappointed. I was anticipating something along the lines of the Picolax thread…………..

Perhaps more of a machine gun squat in that case, though.

acjim
    Free Member

Yay I can – must be all the standing on one foot I pretend is training whilst putting socks and shoes on (and off) 🙂

fasthaggis

How unfit/rubbish do we feel now

not much

me at the weekend*

* 😉

dumbbot
    Free Member

I can pistol squat with relative ease on my right leg, the left side is much more of an effort…something I need to getting working on.

woffle
    Free Member

yup. Just about. Could do it a lot easier a year or so ago when I was somewhat lighter and very much stronger.

Now, an L-sit – that’s a different matter. Never got that, even at my fittest.

turboferret

Used to be a typical challenge to people, I can do a set on each leg, balance and flexibility being more of an issue than strength. The sort of thing that gets significantly easier with a couple of attempts as you understand the different aspects.

Will have to try and sitting down/getting up again this evening.

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘who here can do a pistol squat?’ is closed to new replies.