• This topic has 122 replies, 93 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by khani.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • Who have you met out riding?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Froome & Porte just before this year’s tour. Had a nice chat with them while we descended down a col in the Alps. Was pretty cool.

chakaping
    Free Member

We spotted Loic Bruni and Sam Blenkinsop at the PPdS last year.

Excitedly set off after them on a descent and then found they’d stopped at the bottom of a muddy, rutted meadowy bit of trail – just in time to watch me careen down barely in control but somehow manage to keep the fishtailing bike upright.

Felt great to get a cheer from them guys, didn’t stop to chat though.

vorlich
    Free Member

mcmoonter correctly IDed me based on bike at Bridge of Tilt car park.

ads678

Seen Peaty a few times at Greno/Warncliffe, but that’s not surprising really!

We always let him go before us……

chakaping
    Free Member

And Lorenzo Suding told me which way my mates had gone down the Pila-Aosta freeride trail.

He was a fast rider.

turboferret

I almost ran over Ricky Gervais when I was cycle courier about 13 years ago in London 🙂

Cheers, Rich

deadkenny
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member
    Fairclough/Kerr bombing around our local trails..

Likewise, along with the MBR guys often about. Bumped into Rowan Sorrell at BPW, but then it’s hard not to 😀

Probably seen a few other well known riders but then I don’t really recognise faces or remember names that well.

No one actually famous outside biking world though I think.

Came across Gordon Ramsay in Whistler… but that was skiing, and he wasn’t skiing. Just was in the town doing a video shoot (and his heavies got narky with me for trying to take a photo).

chakaping
    Free Member

Rode past James DeGale the boxer in Epping Forest.

He was jogging the other way so no opportunity for chit-chat.

_tom_
    Free Member

I followed that “Whistler on a hardtail” guy down Dirt Merchant once…couldn’t keep up even with 180mm each end.

bob_summers

I try to time my MTB rides so I see absolutely noone, but I see quite a few past and present Basque pros out on the road, and there are a couple on our Sat am chaingang. Had a chat with Olano on a ride a couple of weeks ago, still incredibly quick, as is Beloki.

Last year, trying to hang onto Garate descending a very steep twisty mountain road, and watched him overcook a corner and end up in the bushes 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Came across Gordon Ramsay in Whistler…

Does The Sun know about this? It could be worth a few pennies!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

TJ on more than one occasion

Hooker?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hooker?

Not before lunch, thanks.

Northwind

Oh aye, at the EWS it was just world champions everywhere, beating them off with a stick at some points. I couldn’t get that fussed about all that til I bumped into Andrew Shandro and went all giddy schoolgirl 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not before lunch, thanks.

It’s 2pm somewhere… (like France, for instance). 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I met Jill Gould in a bike shop on Robson St. in Vancouver. She was complaining that all the couriers were racing her because she was in full team kit and had lots of shiny bits on her bike, some made by an upstart UK company called Hope.

At the time she wasn’t yet Jill Gould, and Tim was racing the hill climb (yes – climb) at Mammoth the coming weekend.

Lovely lass that appeared happy to shoot the breeze with the ex-pat shop owner and a young backpacker that idolised her boyfriend.

lapierrelady

Ned Boulting and Chris Boardman filming one of their TDF segments on Wrynose as we were ‘racing’ up it. In the segment it is my friend being overtaken by Ned on an electric bike (chuckle).

Harris
    Free Member

A few years back I met Bill Bailey. He was getting out of his car just as I came off the path at the bottom of Fleetwith Pike on to Honister Pass. He was renting a cottage with his family in Gatesgarth. Lovely fella.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I think mine trumps these. Out in the middle of nowhere near Machynlleth, came across a cottage with Jimmy Page sat in the garden, had a nice chat.

aracer
    Free Member

Liam Killeen and Tracey Moseley – not at the same time, and not that surprising around here.

Deveron53
    Free Member

pistonbroke – Member

I think mine trumps these. Out in the middle of nowhere near Machynlleth, came across a cottage with Jimmy Page sat in the garden, had a nice chat.

Was it this place?

IdleJon

pistonbroke – Member

Oh no it doesn’t.

I give you Bonnie Tyler! (My brother, ahead of me going down Mumbles Hill, and she stepped out in front of him. Would have done the world a service if his brakes hadn’t worked..)

😆

devs
    Free Member

In no particular order, Joe Barnes, Hannah Barnes, Danny MacCaskill, Dougie Vipond and Kevin McKidd who couldn’t believe the size of my fat tyres. Apparently I missed Bob Dylan by a few minutes by Abernethy too.

NormalMan

Luis Felipe Scolari.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Was it this place?

No that’s Bron Y Aur which is North of Mach, this was right up at the top of Artists Valley, I subsequently found out that Robert Plant owned a place further down the valley so perhaps not so unusual. Was a bit strange at the time though.

tpbiker
    Free Member

sat next to tullisa* on the plane out to my alps trip this year.

* at least I think it was her

and no she didn’t offer me any coke….

Seen Tim Gould, but that’s not surprising as he’s from round these parts. See his brother Julian regularly.

Nick Craig somewhere in the Dark Peak – again, not overly surprising.

GHill

I once saw/met Cy of Cotic fame. He now thinks I’m a bit of a tit, which is surprisingly accurate.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The young professor Xavier.

Harry_the_Spider

Mike Harding post ride pub session. He was a bit grumpy.

scud
    Free Member

Not whilst riding, but got flown back as a medical emergency after bike crash in Bolivia and was sat next to (actually more slumped on combination of morphine and red wine) Sophie Ellis Bexter on the Miami to London leg who was actually really nice and “mothered” me a bit, kept making sure I was comfortable and asked steward to operate chair for me, even gave me her email address to let her know how i got on recovering.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have downhill skateboarded with Brad gerlach and Donovan frankenreiter when they happened to stop in my local town enroute to Ireland back in the late 90s . Also surfed with Kelly Slater, Tom Carroll, Martin Potter and loads of other pros on various surf trips to Australia and France.

LS
    Free Member

Was it this place?

Very good 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Very good

Stompingly, I’d say. 😉

emsz
    Free Member

Jeremy Paxman

Although I didn’t know. My dad just said afterwards as we rode past ” that was Jeremy Paxman”

No massively exciting

Bregante

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Mike Harding post ride pub session. He was a bit grumpy.

Didn’t we see Andy Kershaw once too?

A mate I ride with occasionally sees Sam Hill at a certain location in the North West.

Harry_the_Spider

Didn’t we see Andy Kershaw once too?

Oh yeah, there has been 20% of Elbow in the pub too.

lapierrelady

Played netball against Tracy Moseley in the Malvern Summer League

busydog
    Free Member

John Tomac, on the Sand Canyon trail near Cortez, CO a few years back.
    He overtook us about 1/3 of the way up the canyon and met us coming back before we barely got past the halfway point. Of course, we weren’t really trying 😆

singlespeedstu

Bumped into Rob Plant a few times in one of our post ride boozers.
    Also used to see Roy Wood on a fairly regular basis.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Who have you met out riding?’ is closed to new replies.