Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Who has treated themselves to a bling bike for their 50th?
  • MoreCashThanDash

As per title really – I’m 18 months from the big 5O and wondering whether to treat myself to something nice in Ti for my birthday.

Roadie really as I don’t ride off road enough to justify a mountain bike. Something to be my Sunday best bike for the next 20 years.

Anyone done it? Anyone done it and regretted it?

markrh
    Free Member

I didn’t and bitterly regret, So i’m 55 after Christmas and seen as how 55 is the new 50 (works for me :D) I’ll be dropping a bit of cash on something i really don’t need and really can’t justify…

bikebouy
    Free Member

A few mates have done yes, but not me.

They’ve gone down the custom ti route and about 50/50 disc/rim, a couple have raw finish and a couple with painted carbon forks. All ride at a reasonable club run pace with the fast lads and all have said the same thing about comfort and durability, mix of chain sets and wheels with most spending a hefty chunk on lightweights and di2 or etap. All have carbon seatposts, comfortable saddles (something fitting with decent padding, not the pure carbon blades) all have ti stems but a mix of carbon/ti bars too..
    Seven seem to be the most popular..

I’ve not ridden one so can’t comment on what they’re like.

ton

i did. but sold it when i got to 51

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ka3pWs]2016-07-20_01-10-57[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

Nah, I already know better than that.

Aged 44 and one third and I’ve got the bikes I need.

ads678

6 years is a long time though….

scotroutes

It’s just a number. If you know what you want, get on and order it today.

therevokid
    Free Member

Mason Definition … 🙂

kilo

I was bought a blingish bike for my 40th ( handmade Roberts road bike in Columbus steel) lovely to have and my favourite if not most used bike. Go for it

tenfoot

I bought an Orange 4 for my 50th, as I’ve always wanted an Orange and the 4 is perfect for 99% of my riding.

MoreCashThanDash

I treated myself to a Condor “winter” bike last year, this would finally get me the pure summer bike I’ve never had.

If I could afford one now I’d get one, but I can’t. 18 months for a deposit, a years 0% and a savings payout when I’m 51 works quite well though.

tang
    Free Member

For my 40th, custom steel with full ENVE finishing kit and full paint job. 2.5 years on its my main ride. Fits like a glove.

pennine
    Free Member

I bought an Orange 4 for my 70th, a change from my Orange 5 I got for my 60th. The 4 is perfect for 99% of my riding.

Rubber_Buccaneer

13 months away for me. I want to use it as an excuse to do something special rather than buy something

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I bought a second hand Liteville 301 frame for my 50th, when they were more expensive than they are now. Was quite bling for me…

I’d definitely go for it.

sockpuppet

I’m not that far of a significant number: planning on a cycling trip instead, maybe the Raid Dolomites.

I have enough bikes. Probably.

LAT

2 and a bit years to go. My wife asked if I was going to get a nice bike for my 50th. I’d shied away from the idea as I didn’t think I could wait that long. What I would like is di2 for my mountain bike. My thumbs are getting noticeably achy from using shifters. Perhaps that will be my big gift.

Thanks op for giving me this great idea.

paulevans
    Free Member

Not quite a 50th bling purchase, but more of a what has become known as a ‘not dead yet’ bling purchase. Following a bout of out of the blue coronary heart disease resulting in a stent back in November 2016 I bought myself a Parlee road bike with lovely Zipp wheels and Di2. Absolutely love it.

[/url][/img]

Now, my 50th is only a couple of years away and I’m already thinking of turning to the ‘E’ side – those Spesh Levo’s just look so right in my myopic eyes!!

whitestone
    Free Member

My wife bought me a Spesh Roubaix for my fiftieth. Still got it. Would go Ti now.

chakaping
    Free Member

6 years is a long time though….

Do you know me personally?

😆

I bought an Orange 4 for my 70th

This person is winning so far.

PJay
    Free Member

50 next month and can’t really afford anything too bling. I’ve toyed with the idea of a gravel bike but settled on a Singular Swift frame and new wheels; I’ll be starting to move kit across from my 26er hardtail tomorrow!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d be going classic looking custom steel.

Something lugged quill stem but everything else being bang up to date.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Love that Parlee!! Swoons.

But the 70yr old wins hands down, awesome!

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Bought a Ti mountain bike for my 40th – 5 years ago.

MoreCashThanDash

The 50th trip is already planned – distillery tour with a mate around the Highlands

Really hope I’m thinking of a full susser when I’m 60. And 70!

Splash-man
    Free Member

53 weeks until I hit the 50, would love to treat myself but I think I might get something new at Christmas instead.

Splash-man
    Free Member

53 weeks until I hit the 50, would love to treat myself but I think I might get something new at Christmas instead.

rOcKeTdOg

View this post on Instagram

#word

A post shared by Low Speed Adventurer (@rocketdoguk) on

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“Sunday best bike” just sounds so bent.
    A multi thousand pound custom steel or Ti thing that’ll sit in the shed for at least six days of the week. And when you do get to ride it (in your Sunday best kit no doubt) you end up looking like an uter cretin because you’re all so clean and tidy.
    Get a Canyon/other carbon framed bike; something you’ll get some use out of; it’ll be lighter and will ride better aswell.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I bought myself a decently specced Orange Fiveling Cabinet for my 56th & a 1/2 birthday.
    Still got it, It’s still a better bike than I’ll be a rider.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

What’s the budget?? 🙂
    I was going to do this when I was heading towards 40 but couldn’t wait so at 38 got a Seven Axiom(butted ti) with Record, 80k miles later heading towards 50 went to look at dream bike Colnago C60, very, very nice but not £7k better than refinishing/rebuilding the 7.
    If I was you get a proper bike fit and then buy whatever bike makes you smile. For me in your shoes it’d be something that had discs and though axles. I keep looking at Mason bokor Ti 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

LAT

My thumbs are getting noticeably achy from using shifters. Perhaps that will be my big gift. I should ride singlespeed.

Thanks op Rob for giving me this great idea
    :mrgreen:

tonyg2003

Big 50 next year and already have plenty of bikes including a very bling Storck as best bike. So I’m going to get my 853 Dave Yates frame (raced on it years ago) resprayed and put some nice kit on it (SRAM Wireless for minimialist look?).

OP go for it!

MoreCashThanDash

Budget? Well the Enigma Evoke Disc is £4,200 with Ultegra disc, but not sure it’s set up Di2.

Been looking at some nice Reilly and Vaaru builds as well.

grebcrelien
    Free Member

I treated myself to a Rocky Mountain Element Tsc for my 50th, I still have it, 13 years on!

timbur
    Free Member

I did.

But I was 41/2 at the time.
    :0)

(Just get on and do it)

TiRed

I bought a wheel#, a skinsuit and a holiday in France to go and race at the UCI Masters Chrono and Grand Fondo.

Still waiting for that custom fixed wheel road frame, which was the other option.

#Just the one wheel: HED Jet+

RustySpanner

My wife bought me a Surly Disc Trucker for my 50th.

I’m still only 48.

Exactly the spec I wanted, which wasn’t fancy.
    A good, honest, fun bike.

postierich
    Free Member

Not exactly bling bling but should keep me going for a few years
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/U54kNM]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

slowster
    Free Member

Still waiting for that custom fixed wheel road frame, which was the other option.

TiRed, that sounds interesting, care to tell more? (which framebuilder, steel or titanium etc.?)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Who has treated themselves to a bling bike for their 50th?’ is closed to new replies.