• This topic has 53 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • who has the most snobbish condescending voice you've ever heard ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Listening to Jacob Rees Mogg this morning on LBC got me thinking about others who are inflicted with this “superiority complex ” from a verbal point of view.
    What other upper class twits come to mind …would anyone make JRM sound like a commoner?

northernmatt

Brian Sewell

richmtb

Brian Sewell

end of thread

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

paxman

any tory mp………..ever.

tomhoward

Joe Lycett

jekkyl

Brian Badonde

tomhoward

any tory mp………..ever.

Even Will-yum ‘aig?

kaiser
    Free Member

Brian sewell made me piss myself ..sounds like he has a broom stuck up his backside whilst sucking several plums! Even his face tells you he’s pompous highbrow
    Brian sewell

ton

^ yes.

oh, and will self

somafunk

Not so much a “snobby” voice but whenever i hear “melanie philipps” condescending attitude on the radio (usually the moral maze) i can’t help but imagine knocking her teeth down the back of her throat.

kaiser
    Free Member

hedley
    Free Member

somafunk – Member
    Not so much a “snobby” voice but whenever i hear “melanie philipps” condescending attitude on the radio (usually the moral maze) i can’t help but imagine knocking her teeth down the back of her throat.

My wife is also called Melanie Phillips and I can confirm that she has a condescending attitude.

redthunder
    Free Member

Seems quite normal to me 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Sewell

PS Didn’t know he died in 2015 though. RIP

ransos
    Free Member

Seems quite normal to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Sewell

PS Didn’t know he died in 2015 though. RIP

*prays for Joe Cocker*.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Early Paxman ..he’s mellowed more in recent times..

globalti
    Free Member

Why is it bad to speak well? Is it for the same reason that it’s bad to be intelligent, articulate or an expert on something?

Is this country so sick that we celebrate ignorance, lack of education, emotional incontinence, bogus working class speech and sloppy manners?

revs1972
    Free Member

Why is it bad to speak well? Is it for the same reason that it’s bad to be intelligent, articulate or an expert on something?

Is this country so sick that we celebrate ignorance, lack of education, emotional incontinence, bogus working class speech and sloppy manners?

Shuttup blud. 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

Gove.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a big difference between speaking correctly and being snobbish about it, the speaker’s accent has little to do with it.

v8ninety

Perfectly possible to ‘speak well’ WITHOUT being a condescending nobber with a superiority complex. It’s also possible to be a condescending nobber without being able to speak well.

fasthaggis

Indeed.

Alpha1653

Speaking well and speaking in a condescending fashion are not the same thing, it’s just that often they go hand in hand as for some people, education/privilege has endowed them with a good grasp of English and a condescending attitude! I am a bit a stickler for grammar and the correct use of language but (I hope) that does not mean I am viewed as being condescending. Conversely, it is entirely possible to speak very badly yet be hugely condescending at the same time.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Leeeeeeeeeza Tarbuck.

She’s not posh, but my word she’s condescending.

ransos
    Free Member

Why is it bad to speak well?

You have an odd definition of speaking well. People like Sewell speak with absurd affectations:

hair = here
    ears = yes
    orfleh = awfully
    rarely = really

etc.

globalti
    Free Member

That’s just RP; it’s what those people learned when they were children. Up to the seventies all BBC commentators including sports commentators spoke like that. How do you pronounce those words?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Arthur Scargill.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stoner.

lunge

This’ll mean nothing to anyone, but one of the directors at my old firm was the most condescending I’ve ever spoken too. Anything he said, to anyone, always sounded like it was a thinly veiled insult and that you were merely the dog muck on the sole if your shoe.

jekkyl

Is it Margot from the Good Life?

fasthaggis

Stoner.

😀

funkmasterp

Michael Winner

ransos
    Free Member

That’s just RP; it’s what those people learned when they were children.

Yes, upper class people were taught to speak in an utterly ridiculous way. That is not speaking well.

Up to the seventies all BBC commentators including sports commentators spoke like that.

No they didn’t. John Arlott began his BBC career in 1946.

Northwind

Mary Ann Hobbs, when she’s doing classical, she speaks to the audience as if she thinks they might die before the end of the show. And Fiona Bruce when she’s putting the oil into talking about royalty, urgh

I have a colleague whose voice sets me right on edge, she can make a totally reasonable comment and all I hear is A PEASANT! UNLEASH THE HOUNDS! Took me a while to discover she’s actually really nice but even now after years it can catch me out.

Stoner
    Free Member

What with all ‘is glo’al stops understanding DD is nigh on impossible. Raggish street urchin that he is.

martinhutch

Fill your boots.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXQKtdHNNbQ[/video]

ourmaninthenorth

John Humphrys, a Welsh former dairy farmer.

ransos
    Free Member

John Humphrys, a Welsh former dairy farmer.

Good shout. Sewell may have been comically posh, but Humphrys is an oaf, patronising everyone he interviews.

myopic
    Free Member

hard pushed to decide between William Hanson and Brian Sewell, but I think Hanson edges it as he has an additional layer of pomposity that he can apply to everything under the sun. If I ever had the opportunity to do anything with him, I would revel in offending him with every breath I took

andy8442
    Free Member

Nigella Lawson.

angeldust
    Free Member

For the same reason that it is really funny to start a thread on how VW Transporters (actually a pretty practical vehicle for moving bikes around?*) are a ‘trending’ vehicle in trail centre car parks by someone who couldn’t possibly afford one :twisted:. Sneering, inverse snobbery, basically**. 😈 😈 😈 😀

Seriously, judge people by what they say, not by their accent, dialect or how they been brought up/educated.

*Full disclosure, I don’t own one.

**Deliberate attempt at irony, for anyone that missed it. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘who has the most snobbish condescending voice you've ever heard ?’ is closed to new replies.