Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Who has the longest commute on a bike???
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

Who is doing the most 5 days a week?
    I do about 26mile and up to 30mile round trip 5 days a week. That feels a lot at 130 mile a week as a base.

BigDummy
    Free Member

In bed around 10pm, up at 4am

I think this is the bit that would kill me. 😯

AndyP
    Free Member

Are we all using Km to make us sound more butch than we really are?

In what way does it sound more butch? surely anyone with half a brain can work out that a value in one scale might be a different value on a different scale?

cookeaa

How many people do part train/cycling commutes? And do you tot up your pedalled miles?

cookeaa

AndyP – Member
    Are we all using Km to make us sound more butch than we really are?

In what way does it sound more butch? surely anyone with half a brain can work out that a value in one scale might be a different value on a different scale?

On please don’t pretend you don’t do it, my bike computer is set to Km, My Brain is set to miles I just like the bigger number on display, I’ll not lie yes we can all do the conversions but come on it’s a numbers game we’re playing…

AndyP
    Free Member

On please don’t pretend you don’t do it, my bike computer is set to Km, My Brain is set to miles I just like the bigger number on display, I’ll not lie yes we can all do the conversions but come on it’s a numbers game we’re playing…

no, I use SI units for everything.

faint
    Free Member

40km (25miles) each way, 1hr 30min is good going for me. Generally only twice a week this year.
    It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to travel through 2 towns which can really hold me up.
    Did log it all last year on mycyclinglog and got quite competetive trying to keep myself in the top 20.

samuri
    Free Member

80 miles in a day isn't a lot DezB, especially with a nice big gap in between. I'll happily to an 80+ mile ride all at once at the weekend with no ill effects.

I reckon I'll be getting up around 5ish, out of the house by 5:30. Maintain a nice relaxed 17mph average if it's mostly road and be there with plenty of time to cool down and have a shower. Coming home I'd probably up the pace a bit, maybe add a bit more offroad.

I doubt I'd do it more than twice a week though. Chuck in a couple of velo sessions, fun blast on Saturday and a nice big ride on Sunday, should be good.

cookeaa

I use SI units for everything.

Of course yo do….

I bang everything into Excell when I get to work (Time taken in minutes and Distance traveled) and get my Average journey speeds and total milage (and "Kilometerage") for the year in both Miles and Km, no particular reason to use both but like I said a bigger number looks better…

Aidy
    Free Member

Who is doing the most 5 days a week?
    I do about 26mile and up to 30mile round trip 5 days a week. That feels a lot at 130 mile a week as a base.

16 miles each way (32 mile round trip), 5 days a week.

woffle
    Free Member

And do you tot up your pedalled miles?

Garmin 705 and Ascent software on my 'puter means that I have scary amounts of data going back to when I first started commuting. Makes it easier to track improvements and plan training as well as different routes for when the weather improves.

And yes, the display is set to mph, not kph 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

Of course yo do….
    hmm. Can you tell me what I don't use SI for? I am, after all, both European and a scientist…

edit – actually, fair enough – I do sometimes ask for beer by the pint.

cookeaa

And yes, the display is set to mph, not kph

Good man! I'm going to change mine back to proper "Mans units" later… 😀

cookeaa

Well AndyP I like most people flip between units depending on what is convenient and how information is presented to me, us in the UK being Ludites I drive in MPH, I’m more comfortable buying my grapes in grams, than ounces, but I’ll go with whatever the shop works in…

For work (Engineering) I mostly work in mm, and Nm however I regularly have to deal with and convert Inches and Lb/ft etc as we deal with Yanks and on occasion some rather old plant equipment, it pays to be able to change…

I don’t think I’d make it through the day if I was as inflexible as you about units of measurement…

Gary_M
    Free Member

20 miles each way for me.

You guys doing 20m+ each way:

are you doing it every day – Usually 4 days a week but sometimes 5 in summer.
    do you have demanding/tiring jobs/personal lives? – Desk job, but busy personal life (mainly involving taxing junior around).
    are you under 30? – No, 43
    are you tired ALL the time? – No, I feel fantastic.

Fastest time is just under an hour, slowest is something like 1h40m into a 30odd mph headwind.

And I total my miles for the year on a spreadsheet – around 7000 commuting miles so far this year.

Oh and all the singposts are in miles so I'll go with that.

samuri
    Free Member

And to answer those questions for my current commute….

are you doing it every day – Normally twice a week dependinging on workload, where I'm expected to be and what other riding I'm doing.
    do you have demanding/tiring jobs/personal lives? – No social life whatsoever but the craziest work life on earth.
    are you under 30? – 42
    are you tired ALL the time? – Nope, feel great. The more I ride the better I feel.

acjim
    Free Member

18 miles each way 3 or 4 times a week. So between 108 and 144 miles a week

Desk job – leave by 7am home by 7pm (barring punctures!)

I'm not tired at the weekend but I don't have a massive urge to go for a ride which is a shame.

anderson450
    Free Member

Here s my two peneth.

are you doing it every day?

I do 40 to 50 miles commuting 2 to 3 times a week.

do you have demanding/tiring jobs/personal lives?

I'm a PM for an engineering company so my job is a s demanding as the next guys. The funny thing is the ride into work helps to clear ones head and clarify your thought process. I can get stuff done quicker so my work hours have dropped slightly. It also gives me something to look forward to ate the end of the day. Any stress accumulated through the day has evaporated by the time I get home. I have 3 kids (3, 7 & 9). My wife has noted that my mood is better at home.

are you under 30?

No I'm knocking on the door of 40.

are you tired ALL the time?

Sometimes, you need to pace yourself. If you try to spank it every time you will get tired and your average times will worse. I usually start the week going in an dout a t a moderate pace, by the time I get to the last working day of the week I'm spanking it. I ususally take the next day off from cycling and cross train.

I hope this helps.

jonnymojo
    Free Member

Are you guys doing 20 plus miles doing this on road bikes?

woffle
    Free Member

Are you guys doing 20 plus miles doing this on road bikes?

Rohloff equipped Airnimal joey folder with various bits of Hope and Magura…

oxym0r0n

Ha ha – Mostly balanced I've worked out who you are!

10 miles each way, mostly 5 days a week plus riding at the weekend. SS mtb with 1.6 slicks…

69er
    Free Member

Until very recently I had a 50 mile round trip on a fixed gear.

are you doing it every day?
    do you have demanding/tiring jobs/personal lives?
    are you under 30?
    are you tired ALL the time?

No, 3-4 times per week
    Yes
    Definitely not, what has that got to do with it?
    Tired by the end of the week.

You can sleep when you're dead 😉

Slacks
    Free Member

I do a round trip of 33 miles for my commute. I train at work as well as do funny shifts so I probably manage it every other day.

I thought cycling home at 3,4 or 5 in the morning would be awful. Turns out that the nicest time. No traffic and the occasional sunrise on my way home (not at the moment).

The more I do it the easier it gets. Get tired on occasions but usually I just haven't eaten enough.

Under 30? No.

woffle
    Free Member

I thought cycling home at 3,4 or 5 in the morning would be awful. Turns out that the nicest time. No traffic and the occasional sunrise on my way home (not at the moment).

Agree completely – out the door at 4am this morning – nice hour long ride through the Sussex countryside. Saw the usual barn owl and herd of deer and a grand total of 1 car the whole way to the station.

Slacks
    Free Member

I've never seen an owl whilst riding. I'm jealous. I've seen a few Badgers this winter for the first time. Seem to be more dead ones as well which isn't so good.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

right well…. I am signing off as I have a massive 20mins walk to get home!

A lot of you deserve medals for doing those kind of distances daily. Almost makes me feel guilty!

radoggair
    Free Member

my daily commute is now only 27 miles, though a few months agonit was 74 miles round trip (119km, hey it does sound better in km). That was taking me between 1hr 20 to 1 hr 50 each way wind dependant
    My new daily commute is a trifle over 13 miles and takes anywhere between 34mins and 48mins ( very wind dependant).
    Over 30 and in a very demanding job, leave house between 5am some mornings and 10am other mornings, getting home anywhere between 6pm and 3am ( shift dependant).
    Have to agree that your diet plays a part, that you need to rest your body and sometimes just spin into work and tiredness can play a part.
    Commuting is prob the part of my job i most look forward to

woffle
    Free Member

I've never seen an owl whilst riding. I'm jealous.

See it pretty much every morning at the moment. If I'm lucky it'll fly up the road away from me so I get to follow it for a few seconds. It did sit in the road once and let me ride past, did that whole rotating head thing owls do…

(the deer can actually be quite intimidating when there is a large herd or some big males about)

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

7 miles plus train on way in, 22 miles on way home – 2 or 3 times a week, lost 1.5 stone in 7 months so all good 🙂

Only way I can fit in riding around long hours (yes it is in public sector!) and family life.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

just 10 miles each way and loving it. Quickest time in was 33 minutes by bike, usually about 20 minutes by car……

Started riding in about March last year and been trying to ride 2 days a week ever since. I don't take it if its lashing down or I'm off some place else (I don't always work from my office) or if I'm taking the dog in ….

Riding on a Specialized Globe elite with an 8 speed Nexus hub and its's boss. Looks crap with its winter mudguards on but I still stay pretty dry even in the rain. 🙂

matt_outandabout

only 8 miles each way here, but it does have about 1200-1200ft of climbing (most of which is in one big climb at the end…). Mind you, home is a big descent to start with…
    Views are good, and its teh Highlands, so possibly a tad colder than you southern people.
    Pic of the commute – clicky for more:

View from work's back field ain't bad either. Quality not quantity IMO

chopperT
    Free Member

I'm currently riding a 26km each way commute, with 200m climbing, usually takes 56-58min on a slicked rigid MTB, though on the road bike it's 50min.

On the odd occasion that I drive to work, I will expect the trip to take 45-50min. It's a no-brainer really. Bike wins every time.

I like to have a rest day on the weekend, but try for a 60-70km Sunday ride.

As said above, the more you ride, the better you feel (even if you are 38), and yes I do "tot up" my miles, well, I just add up the odos of all the bikes. In the last 6 years I've ridden 41000km, commuting and rec.
    That does sound bigger in kms!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

radoggair – Member
    though a few months ago it was 74 miles round trip (119km, hey it does sound better in km). That was taking me between 1hr 20 to 1 hr 50 each way wind dependant

so you were doing 37 miles in 80 minutes? average of 28mph?

clwydrider
    Free Member

Matt I thought my 1200ft in 10.5 miles was bad! At least it's only 900ft on the way home! I have got into work in under 40mins before, but nice and steady now, happy if I can get in in 55 and home in 45. twice or three times a week depending on work/family commitments and extend during the summer if I've time. Get really grumpy if I miss a week or two!

curtisthecat
    Free Member

How many people that have replied have desk/office based jobs? Just wondering as I have a very physical outdoor job and find it hard to commute that much, although I am trying to do it more often.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

My commute isn't long, but I do at least 350mi/wk.
    I'm a cycle-courier. Interestingly enough, mileage isn't proportional to money earned in this job. (You can do less miles and earn more money…)

btw. matt-outandabout, those pics are amazing. Any jobs going? 😀

vdubber67
    Free Member

52km round trip, 4 times a week at present. Just started it recently. Riding by moonlight at 6.30 is quite weird!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I'm looking at a bike commute of 13 miles each way along a flat canal bank to my new place of work, door to door. I've done a few dry runs on my days off and it took me 90 mins to do 13 miles on the flat towpath, which seems a bit pathetic, but I'm not a roadie or particularly fit and I don't want to work up a sweat as there are no shower/changing facilities at work. On the plus side, If Carlsberg did bike commutes, this would probably be the one. It's lovely open countryside all the way with a few villages and a small town.

gothandy

I thought I was going good with 9miles each way, then was chatting to a bloke at a junction to the A46 he was going all the way across Bristol. Must have been 25miles each way easy. Crazy!

radoggair
    Free Member

radoggair – Member
    though a few months ago it was 74 miles round trip (119km, hey it does sound better in km). That was taking me between 1hr 20 to 1 hr 50 each way wind dependant

so you were doing 37 miles in 80 minutes? average of 28mph?

Not far off TBH, it was rough times but averaged 25.5mph one day!! – amazing what draughting a tractor at 34mph for 6miles of that can do!! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Who has the longest commute on a bike???’ is closed to new replies.