Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • who has the lightest bike on stw? and vise versa
  • taka
    Free Member

im not even contributing as i dont have a full bike at the mo 8) and i have no means of weighing it anymore as vets wont let me now 😥

lowey

Fizzer. 21.5 pounds I think. I could balance it on a semi.

dano
    Free Member

have a look at lightbike.com… some crazy stuff on there… they are mostly customized without a triple crank, but are quite impressive!

taka
    Free Member
    GNARGNAR
    Free Member

No road bikes or single speeds eh?

sc-xc

who has the lightest bike on stw? and vise versa

I have the lightest stw on bike….

dano
    Free Member
    taka
    Free Member

barry i mean heavyist duh.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I think what'd be interesting is the lightest bike belonging to the heaviest person.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Im 15.5st and ride a 24lb 5" hardtail, and a 23lb-ish 4x bike.
    Thats almost 10lb of me for every lb of bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

surely in any bike:body weight ratio contest Ton would win without trying?

Mountainbike 29.2lb with (burgtechs and tubes adding a good 2.5lb there!)

BMX 29.2lb (realy should put this on a diet at some point)

rolfharris
    Free Member

I built this for SSUK08 and it was 17lbs. This year I took the gears of my anthem and it was 21lbs.

Seems to work- it wasn't skittish, was very very fast uphills and capable downhills. I was leading for a while but I lost some air in the rear tyre and so finished 4th- both years I've finished 4th in fact. And it seems every other result I got this year was 4th. Maybe if I built a 14lb bike I'd win…

Kramer
    Free Member

Some really daftly specced bikes on that site. 🙄

Why put canti brakes on a Scott Genius?

GW
    Free Member

my daughter, 14lb

cinnamon_girl

22.42 and I still can't ride for toffees 🙄

grumm
    Free Member

Pretty sure it's me

17.2lbs exactly.

dano
    Free Member

what? for the table and chair set? the pitch must be more like 28 lbs…?

Kramer
    Free Member

ROFLMAO!

taka
    Free Member

must just be my pitch frame that weighs a ton then getit? ton ahahaha :mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

Dougal's is 20.5lbs for a bouncy bike IIRC, mine is a around 21lbs depending on tyres etc.

squarewheels
    Free Member

ss & ridgid Klein Attitude 20lb 3oz.

To be fair that is without any significant expenditure to lighten it and some frankly innapropriate choices of bits for a 'light bike' (including hope bulb front hub, cheap inners, old 4pot xt disk brake).

…and I'm about 12.5 st

fizzer
    Free Member

Semi what Dave???

20.9 actually.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I have a Merida FLX (can't recll the number – 5000? – ) that was one down from the Team Bike in 2008. About 22lbs. Only difference I think was XTR / Sram kit. £4k new.

It's going on eBay this weekend as I don't ride it much as I seem to have been bitten by the 29er bug!
    Tim

trail_rat
    Free Member

mines 21lb but its non bouncy at the back and has a stupid saddle on it- brooks need to get on the case of a light saddle ….

Keva
    Free Member

I weighed my Giant Xtc at the w/end to 22lbs. Loads of places to lose more weight quite easily, like changing the LX tripple crankset !

Kev

njee20
    Free Member

And what is your bike Fizzer?

No one done road bikes yet?! Chap at work had a 12.5lb 62cm Spesh Roubaix, he couldn't ride it, but it looked good on the scales, stupid!

druidh
    Free Member

My new XC Carbon weighs in at over 24 lbs. Excuse me for thinking that some folk need new scales.

mcboo
    Free Member

My XL Ti456 is 24lb, my Blur 28lb……

I saved 8lb in 3 weeks by cutting out the toast and butter. How much would that cost me in racy carbon bike bling hmmm?

njee20
    Free Member

I'm happy to have anyone weigh my bike, and I weighed Dougals, so arguably it's a comparative weight! But having weighed literally hundreds of bikes I'm confident they're accurate.

Having seen your Blur XCc I can point out where mine's lighter though Druid, if you're bothered!

DezB
    Free Member

I thought people gave up trying to make their bikes light at the turn of the century. Do you lot have anodised purple bottle cage bolts too?

Kramer
    Free Member

My new XC Carbon weighs in at over 24 lbs. Excuse me for thinking that some folk need new scales.

Agreed. My Scott genius 20 weighs about 28 lbs.

But having weighed literally hundreds of bikes I'm confident they're accurate.

Not unless those bikes were standardized weights then they're not.

njee20
    Free Member

Good point, but what I meant was I've weighed a lot of bikes where people say 'this is 22lbs, I've already weighed it' and its actually 25! Maybe they just overweigh things and my Epic is actually 18lbs… Doubtful.

I've never weighed a bike under a claimed weight either!

Kramer
    Free Member

Njee, I would suggest that means that your scales underweigh slightly less than other people's do.

Accurate scales = thousands of pounds.

avdave2

Well I've just calculated that there is only 4 pounds of me pushing along each pound of my bike. I think it's time to look for a something a bit lighter for longer rides.

fizzer
    Free Member

here's the lightweight

and the heavy hitter 😀

Offroading
    Free Member

I believe Njee has the same scales as me – the Alpine Digital ones… Mine are accurate to within 10 grams which i have confirmed.

Id put good money on it that Njee's are just as accurate.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee, I would suggest that means that your scales underweigh slightly less than other people's do.

It's possible, but how do you know that? That means the scales that manufacturers use underweigh by even more, what are you using as the bench mark for accuracy?

I have tested them with calibrated weights, and they do seem accurate, but I'm not really that bothered at the end of the day! I'd sooner spend thousands on the bike, than the scales 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

I'm just basing it on our experience in buying scales for weighing people at the surgery. To get accurate scales for weighing people costs a fortune, because the engineering needed to get precise measurements needs very fine tolerances, also they have to be calibrated regularly to stay accurate – which in most cases they're not. Similarly calibration weights are also very expensive, and have to be very carefully looked after.

In most cases in GPs surgeries and hospitals, the scales used aren't actually that accurate, because maintaining accurate scales costs a lot of money, and precise measurement isn't needed.

For those reasons, I find it very hard to believe that a set of scales costing £60 are likely to be particularly accurate.

Kramer
    Free Member

Manufacturers weights are notorious for being on the low side – after all, who's going to tell the truth about being a bit of a porker?

But to put it in perspective, Specialized are going mental about the fact that they've got a 22 lb full suss stumpjumper next year – it's the full carbon top of the range S-works with XX drivetrain and ultra-bling build kit. Scott reckon their Genius Ltd weighs in around 24 lb, that's got carbon hoops, hubs and forks FFS. When I see these weights, then what's been claimed on here for bikes that have heavier frames, and nowhere near as bling componentry, I find it hard to believe.

njee20
    Free Member

My Epic has a lighter frame and far more bling componentry than the Stumpjumper or the Genius. I drop nearly a pound in the tyres alone compared to the Stumpy. And it weighs a pound less than the claimed weight for the Stumpjumper. Seems plausible to me…

I'm sure they're not accurate to 0.05g, but they're probably within a hundred grammes or so, they were dead on with a 1kg weight, and like I say, it's interesting as a comparative as much as anything.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘who has the lightest bike on stw? and vise versa’ is closed to new replies.