• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by xora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • who has priority when bike lanes end?
  • jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i was cut up by a bus today crossing dean bridge in edinburgh (badly, this happens all the time but was close on this occasion) – https://goo.gl/maps/0Itcb

going about the speed of traffic, a bus started to overtake before the bridge and got about half way past by the time i came to the end of the lane, which just stops without any markings – ignoring the fact that the bus shouldn’t really run me down even if i am in the wrong, am i supposed to stop at the end of it and wait for a gap in traffic, or do i have priority where it rejoins the road?

martinhutch

You don’t have priority in the sense of give way lines. So you don’t have to stop, neither does he. But you have the right not to be overtaken dangerously, regardless of whether you’re on a strip of painted road or not.

Crap design that – gives the illusion of separate, protected space, when in fact, as you found out, you don’t have it.

neilwheel
    Free Member

It’s a common problem.

As above, unless there are give way markings then it should be treated as two lanes merging.

Best advice I can offer, is to check often, over your shoulder before you get to the point of conflict.
    Make eye contact with drivers.
    Adjust your speed or start to move out earlier, depending on the other traffic.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Bus wins. I ride in Edinburgh everyday and always give way to the big things. The bus drivers get super training but the bus lanes are intermittent, badly faded and dangerous in most cases. They may as well not exist, particularly up Forrest rd etc.

I’m a big give wayer.

imnotverygood

If it was a Lothian Bus you should at least report it to them. They are very good at dealing with these sort of issues. Bus should not overtake if it can’t get past safely, though clearly , it is you going to get squished.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

the general rule on the road is give way to the right, that’s why cycle lanes so pants I hate them as they deliver you into the traffic with no priority. Also plus poorly maintained and badly designed cycle lanes

imnotverygood

Incidentally. I never ever use that particular bit of cycle lane, for the very reason that has happened to you. Primary all the way around that corner.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

cheers all – yeah i usually would be in the middle of the lane too, was on my road bike though and tend to be a bit more law abiding on that for whatever reason.

Was a stagecoach bus – usually find lothian buses are pretty reasonable for the most part.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Ah. Deathcoach. Only beaten by First Fail.

steviecapt
    Free Member

my advice would be , never put your self in a position where you have to rely on the common sense of the driver, because alot of drivers dont seem to use it that often, and when you are in contact with any vehicle, your gonna loose and end up regretting it, wether you were in the right or not, its just not worth the risk, better to wait a few seconds longer and live to ride another day

br
    Free Member

the general rule on the road is give way to

bigger things than you…

imnotverygood

cheers all – yeah i usually would be in the middle of the lane too, was on my road bike though and tend to be a bit more law abiding on that for whatever reason.

Erm…. Would you like to expand on that last comment. I fear you may be labouring under a misapprehension.

brooess
    Free Member

[/quote]my advice would be , never put your self in a position where you have to rely on the common sense of the driver, because alot of drivers dont seem to use it that often,

^^ This

John Franklin in Roadcraft says pretty much all cycle lanes are dangerous or useless and you’re better off riding primary in the traffic…

Russell96

It’s Physics rules

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

Erm…. Would you like to expand on that last comment. I fear you may be labouring under a misapprehension.

don’t worry – i just mean i ride aggressively and dickishly to be safe when just going about town – i know i’m not required to stick in the bike lane but if i’m setting out on a road ride i sometimes can’t be arsed with the hassle of dealing with angry drivers

shortcut

You certainly have a right not to get squashed. Sadly right doesn’t always count for much. Especially when hospital or the morgue beckon.

Personally I would give way if necessary.

neilwheel
    Free Member

– i just mean i ride aggressively and dickishly to be safe when just going about town –

Assertive and defensive seem to work better.

xora

I am pretty sure that back in the 90s when I first moved to Edinburgh they got some European funding for cycle stuff. This translated into just painting random cycles lanes anywhere they would fit with no real thought. Overall pretty much all the cycle lanes in Edinburgh are stupid and dangerous.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘who has priority when bike lanes end?’ is closed to new replies.