• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by benz.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Who has fitted a triple LED to Lumi halogen can?
  • benz
    Free Member

Anyone done this?

Any issues apart from it being a bit of a pain unless you have small flexible fingers?

stumpy01

People have done using the Cutter kit from Oz.
    Looks to be straight forward, with the main issue being heatsinking the driver board adequately.
    You just need the Cutter kit & a different switch you can get from Maplin, plus someone who can do a bit of soldering.

I keep meaning to buy the kit & have a go, but never getting round to it. I have a file at home with some details regarding this I can mail over to you if you are interested. It'll be sometime this weekend, depending on when/if I use my computer. E-mail me via my profile, if you want a copy of it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hi

I have done one for a friend using the cutter kit – simple enough to do. I used a disc of 5mm alloy as a heatsink / to transfer heat to the case. It is a bit tight for room

BadlyWiredDog

Me, I also stuck a radio controlled car motor heat sink to the outside of the can with heat-transfer double-sided tape or something. The main issue is heat sinking the LEDs rather than the driver board, which you actually want to keep cool. You need to transfer heat from the LEDs to the Lumi can, interference fit with thermal epoxy seems to work okay, bit of card to help insulate the board from the heat. One piece housing would be better but more expensive, see Trout for a quote.

snaps
    Free Member

Lumi cans are slightly larger than these so should be easier, but this was not to difficult.
    Not triple but twin quad Cutter R2s!
    Fitted to Marwi nightpro MR11 halogen alloy lamp bodies, one narrow optic & one medium – these on the bars combined with a similar single triple conversion on the helmet means nights no longer restrict my riding speed.

grahamb
    Free Member

I've done a triple & a quad cutter into lumi halogen cans & very pleased with the results. Been running the 3 LED one for nearly 2 years now.

Used a plumbing 28mm copper end feed stop end for a heatsink. Cut the sides of the stop end to be "fins" that splay out very slightly to get maximum contact area against the side of the lumi can, & with necessary slots for clearance around the bolt etc. Heatsink compound between the fins & the case. Fixed the back of the LED board to the face of the end stop with some artic silver adhesive.

Tape up the control board & slot into the gap behind the end stop perpendicular to the LED board. Not had any problems with overheating, running at (iirc) 75C thermal shutdown. The end stop arrangement seems to conduct the heat to the case quite nicely.

I run both at 75% current rating. I can't say i detect that much less brightness for a lot of extra battery drain & noticeable extra heat generation compared to the 100% current setting.

With the triple with a narrow beam diffuser on my helmet & the quad with a middle-ish beam diffuser on the bars, they're overkill for the type of riding i do 🙂

cp

I've done it with the basic kit- mail mr if you want some pics of what I did along the way (not great but you get the idea!!)

mattsccm
    Free Member

I know there is plenty of info about LEDs out there but try this place for some great ideas
    http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk

trout
    Free Member

Not a cutter kit but fit in a darn sight easier and cheaper.

Eyup Scott I emailed you a week ago but got an out of office reply
    I need some contact details I have lost yours .

saladdodger
    Free Member

trout talk some more please

I have a lumi battery and cans to use sometime

trout
    Free Member

Saladdodger

This was done by special request dispite me advising against
    the housing is borderline at handling the heat at full chat
    but it all fit in and works and as long as the user keeps moving when it is switched on it should be ok but stood still and it will cook in 5 minutes – no thermal sensing and just a basic driver £5.99

triple XPE leds and 20 mm carclo optic ( approx 500 lumens out the front )

beam shot

as compared to the Bastid DX light early model

will run from your existing battery no problems

saladdodger
    Free Member

please tell more are they a single output or variable?

I have the bastid to which would be great on my bonce with 2 of these babies on the bars

trout
    Free Member

SD
    They can be basic on or off

or Hi LOW at more cost .

There must be thousands of those lights out there might be a market for upgrade kits .mmmmmmm

saladdodger
    Free Member

trout – Member

There must be thousands of those lights out there might be a market for upgrade kits .mmmmmmm

yes there will be shed loads and I will happily send you my 2 cans for a fettle, shame to waste the batterys (13.2v ) and cans

or do a light set up which works off the lumi battery's there is a good sale plug for you

boxelder

I've done it recently (or got a mate to). The Cutter kit came with a free upgrade of the motherboard/ship/circuit thingy – which was a pain as it is bigger so needed careful filing. Heat sink is a couple of 2p pieces and some compound stuff. Not used in earnest yet, but looks great for the cost.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Trout,

How much would it be to do two Lumi cans like that one (with a high low setting)?

Regards

benz
    Free Member

Trout, fantastic – thanks a bunch my friend.

Looks very, very good.

Apologies if I have created a potential new market for you… 😳

Dropped you an email…

Cheers to all who responded to initial Q.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Who has fitted a triple LED to Lumi halogen can?’ is closed to new replies.