Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Who has a road specific bike with discs, and what you think of them ?
  • iainc

No gravel or adventure/touring etc allowed 🙂

Purely road specific….

I recently got a Defy with hydraulic Ultegra. Compared to my 2012 Defy with rim Ultegra brakes it’s much the same so far, but haven’t ridden it in the wet !! I do notice the front end a bit stiffer, which I presume is the stiffer fork/hub…..oh, and the bike is a bit heavier.

I also notice no brake rub when out the saddle, and bike is a lot easier to clean down, as less sticky out bits 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

Went discs in 2010 and haven’t looked back. Still got rim brakes on other bikes, the TT bike etc but for normal days out discs have no disadvantages and I like being able to stop ! Add fat sticky tyres as well and life is so much more secure. I do notice the difference when riding the rim braked bikes, especially in the wet or on long fast drops where discs work nicely allowing intermittent braking rather than dragging. Suits y short arthritic fingers as well.

theotherjonv

I’ve got a Synapse disc. But I daren’t ride it in case I hurt someone with my unnecessarily evil sharp flaming rotors.

Real answer; I’m just used to disc brakes now, and know how to service and maintain them better than rims. Plus I have them on my gravel / cx / commuter bike, and wanted to have wheels that would cross over between both, so the choice was simple.

I like it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

both my commuter and ‘best’ bike are on hydro discs, and have been for 3 years. There’s not a chance in hell I’d go back to rim brakes.

remoterob
    Free Member

Focus Cayo 3.0. THe Ultegra hydros are light years ahead of previously cable disc’d bikes and the RAT axle is easier to use than a QR.
    I went for post mount due to my early concerns about the new standards (brake callipers are basically revised XT) but flat mount seems to be sticking. Axle standards aren’t a concern if you buy versatile wheels.

iainc

i wonder if I will be allowed to ride mine in sportives this summer now….. 🙂

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve had a Volagi Liscio with Ultegra hydros for 2 years now, I love the bike, and love the brakes.

I’ve done one Marmotte on Ultegra rim brakes, and one on the discs. I’ll take discs every time.

andcarson
    Free Member

I have recently built up a Genesis equilibrium disc and love it. I went for this because I had previously built some nice disc wheels and they needed a home.

I had a Mango Point AR prior to that and didn’t get on with it.

robertgray05
    Free Member

Got a carbon Defy with Ultegra discs end of last year. Utterly brilliant. I can single-finger brake to a standstill from the hoods, no problem. And they use the same pads as my MTBs 🙂

neilforrow

I’ve a dale synapsis. Di2 disk. Love it. Loads of confidance on the downs. Allows late hard braking and a nicer shape to the tyre imo. Would never go back.

eshershore
    Free Member

I had a £2.5k carbon fibre road bike with hydro discs and quick release dropout. 8kg. Noisy front brake when climbing or sprinting. Rear had tendency to move in dropout under heavy braking(regardless of skewer choice) causing clicking under power until reseated.

I’ve since had 2 carbon fibre road bikes with caliper brakes. Cheaper/lighter/no noises or wheel movement. Swisstop blue pads in wet winter, dura ace pads in dry summer. Brakes work fine… Not missing the discs?

Would be open to a disc bike with front/ rear through axles and carbon fibre rims…but you have to spend considerably more to get comparable weight especially in wheelsets.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Who has a road specific bike with discs, and what you think of them ?’ is closed to new replies.