Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Who has a Hammerhead Thumper/ Switchback unveil
  • roverpig

I won’t repeat (too much) what these last few post have said, but +1 for demos even if it cost you money

Good advice z1ppy. Remind me, how did that test ride on the Evil go 🙂

Seriously, it probably is good advice. It certainly gets repeated often enough. But my problem with test rides is suspension set up. Probably just because I’m a numpty, but it takes me ages to get suspension set up to suit me and when its wrong the bike feels horrible.

Since we’re offering renton unsolicited advice, might I suggest that the bike might not be the issue. Don’t get me wrong, I’m the world’s worst when it comes to over analyzing stuff. In fact I enjoy pouring through geometry charts and posting endless questions about the nuances of different designs. But even I’d have to accept that there is a lot to be said for just buying the bike that you really want (for whatever irrational reason) and riding the crap out of it. Let’s face it, there are hardly any bad bikes out there these days and there is no real consensus on sizing (or anything else for that matter). Whatever your dimensions you’ll find people who are the same shape riding larger and smaller bikes quite happily. They all work and if you ride them often enough and long enough they feel right.

The problem is the old buyer’s remorse. When you’ve dropped a load of money on a bike you can find yourself endlessly questioning yourself about whether it was the right choice. Maybe it should have been bigger, smaller, slacker, longer travel, shorter travel, with different sized wheels etc. But really it’s just a bike. There are people out there riding the same trails as you on bikes that are far worse or far less suited to the task, but with a big smile on their faces. Be one of them. Here endeth the lesson 🙂

renton
    Free Member

^^^^^^^ :mrgreen:

I think thats my problem to be honest, over analyzing everything !!

roverpig

Don’t worry mate, you’re not alone 🙂 Thanks for taking the “advice” in the spirit it was intended.

st

I’d echo all of the above and add to it the question of wheel size.

All the geometry and sizing might appear to be approximately consistent but it’s not exactly like for like when comparing a 26″ and 29″ set up.

In all the previous discussions I’ve not seen any mention of the wheelbase, bottom bracket height (or drop) etc and given that manufacturers measurements can’t be absolutely relied upon it’s still seems to much of a click and hope when buying purely based on internet research.

Good luck though. I’m actually looking along the same lines.
    Given the importance of the fit and feel of the bike it’s still just a click and hope if the only way to buy is online.

z1ppy

😯 @ RP.. Evil demo due next week, maybe this week if were really lucky (doubtful), though my demo may also be described as ‘owning’…. in my defence no one can demo a bike that hasn’t appeared & I have thought demoed a number of different ‘similar’ 29er FS bikes and taken that experience (& geo figures) forward but yes I am having to take a leap of faith 😳

roverpig

Sorry z1ppy, just pulling your leg. It would be a pretty boring world if we only ever did the sensible thing. We wouldn’t be riding bikes down mountains for a start.

Hope the Evil turns up soon. I’m sure you’ll love it.

z1ppy

I know & was a fair call, and I bloody hope so (on it “turning up soon” and loving it)..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

the bike had the same top tube length and an even longer reach than my previous 5 spot and yet it still felt smaller? how does that work?

Perhaps you’ve had a growth spurt since you had the Five Spot?

I’d definitely consider trying quite a few different bikes in various sizes, just to get a good idea of what suits you.

I mean, is it wise to trust a load of unknowns on the internet? They may just be bullshitting you about their bikes & sizing, in a bid to get another slightly amusing thread about the trials and tribulations of your life/bikes.

I’d also suggest taking a long, hard look at the sort of riding you do; I thought most of your cycling was commuting to work and then a qucik blast round the woods? In which case, is a long travel 29er really the best tool for the job?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I know & was a fair call, and I bloody hope so (on it “turning up soon” and loving it)..

You also don’t have quite the same “unique” fit requirements of Renton, neither do I!

z1ppy

😀

sillyoldman

Test ride.

Manufacturer’s geo charts are quite often wrong. Take them as a starting point rather than gospel.

chakaping
    Free Member

You should consider the Bird Aeris instead Renton.

They make a point of having longer frames, so it’d be a safer bet if you’re determined not to try before you buy.

legend
    Free Member

longer frame can lead to wrist issues though……. we really need a full requirements list here.

Also long will need an even higher front end for gut room – ahem – I mean control!

renton
    Free Member

I really like the Aeris and have been in touch with Ben about them.

I still think the front end will be to low for me as its not to dissimilar to the trance stack wise.

Fantastic looking bikes though.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Who has a Hammerhead Thumper/ Switchback unveil’ is closed to new replies.