• This topic has 29 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bol.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Who had the bright idea to make MTB shoes white?
  • bol

My Specialized BG Pro shoes are coming to the end of their life. The new ones are white. Surely that’s stupid?

Mackem

My Shimano white ones are surprisingly keeping their whiteness.

bol

I struggle to keep the black ones black. It would be nice if Specialized offered a choice. They fit me perfectly – otherwise I’d be looking elsewhere.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think I’ll produce some ‘proper UK clarts’ coloured ones.
    They’d have to be multicoloured cos of the multitude of clarts colours.

bol

Yeh, cammo. That’s the answer. But not sure it would go down very well with the leg shaving brigade.

oldgit
    Free Member

It was Stephen.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Californication.

nick3216
    Free Member

White shoes are only inappropriate if your legs can’t cash the cheques they write. they are fab. I know I’m on a road section in this picture but these shoes were the ones I wore for dusk til dawn last year.

Dovedale loop by nick3216, on Flickr

Oh, and on the road sections you get many more nods from the roadies.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    It was Stephen.

Hmmmm….Steve…..

phiiiiil

My shoes are a fairly uniform brown colour unless it has snowed in the last week or so, when their original colour is briefly restored for a bit…

njee20
    Free Member

S-Works ones are a sort of white patent. Which is 62% more awesome, but does mean they come up absolutely perfectly with a quick squirt of Muc Off and an old towel.

Brilliant shoes too!

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Tell me about it! Couldn’t use my new S-works shoes for 3 months due to illness then on their maiden ride got covered in mud which in turn stained them. They stayed sparkly white for all of 15 mins. Brilliant shoes mind. 🙁

muckytee
    Free Member

Who had the bright idea to make MTB shoes white?

😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If you’re on a MTB and got time to be staring / worrying at the off white nature of your shoes then you’re doing something wrong IMO.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Oh, and on the road sections you get many more nods from the roadies.

Well that something to aim for then isn’t it?

njee20
    Free Member

Tell me about it! Couldn’t use my new S-works shoes for 3 months due to illness then on their maiden ride got covered in mud which in turn stained them. They stayed sparkly white for all of 15 mins

You want the new S-Works ones then like I said, mine still look good as new after a year!

showerman
    Free Member

i went for mavic still bright yellow very bright bright yellow 😯

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Njee20, mine are the new ones. They are only 4 months old. I will try using muc-off next time and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

terrahawk
    Free Member

mine don’t look quite as bright as this any more…

hock

Funny thing about Specialized and GB really.
    What must they be thinking about British taste? 😉

Because they do absolutely positively offer non-white alternatives of most shoes outside these greener shores. US, EU, you name it.

Just choose different country in the top right of the Specialized HP and – magic – you’ve got the choice!

BG Pro

Funny enough they offer different, newer shoes, too.
    E.g. these lovely BOA-endowed S-Works Evo MTB shoes.

Again in two colours.

Have a look at their US country version shoe section. And for ordering purposes the German or French version etc. have more or less the same diversity of choices. So continental retailers should be able to help.

A bit of a pitty for UK retailers, though. 😕

Leku
    Free Member

I got these for £55 from LBS reduced from £110. Bloody love them.

hock

very white though! 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The marketing doood who thought that as I-pods are trendy and white, shooz should be trendy and white, with the added advantage that the shooz will be percieved by the owner to be minging far sooner than would otherwise be the case. If you don’t like it, DON’T BUY IT!

nick3216
    Free Member

The Mavic yellow shoes look like they came from Morrisons to my Northern eyes. Sorry

hock

Exactly! The Mavic shoes! What were they thinking? Next iPod yellow?!

In any case the marketing dude responsible for GB must be especially trend-happy.
    Or think of Britain as being the land of fashionistas. Or fashion victims. 🙂

Then again it can get worse…

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSPXIjtgs-GLd-rW1e1GwXexki5-5OPljb-vUNzdsIsO8_7rbj1A[/img][img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg64PaMZublg2gPDUf1lAfBUH-WjZYuYGPVXd1kPUWAjfiouvE[/img][img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyoUBGQ7gmDnde88E0l6lKDtW80Ba48ttq8fpuLQwg_aqXocZL_w[/img][img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHcyAeKHd7ZNqgKxuK0LV2U6XAAKYU-cxLi8QEM1_C_WAojd25fw[/img][img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaPvM6r9cHpuz10F6acPbu7fRLisEvzYKVBdGM4Cn-3M6fiPol[/img][img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKa7r6yokMhR8MKhmKbHsQoTjevVKwFG4C-vibeGglMz2MFzx2[/img]

EDIT: at least IMHO 😳

rocketman
    Free Member

Quite a lot of XCJ going on in the above pictures 🙂

My MP66s are two-tone brown

hock

Same here! Vintage brown suede Louis Garneau shoes based on the old Shimano SH-M110 sole.

Sadly died recently, so now have half-white Specialized Rimes (all black version only available outside UK…). Good shoe and white starts to “fade” away now, so will be dirty and okay soon.

Look what they have/had abroad:

hock

Apropos brown suede shoes:

I had these in their days. Really good shoe, helpful heel velcro fastener, but didn’t last long. Have to admit that suede is better for the cafe than being covered in mud and soaked in sweat on a regular basis…

nick3216
    Free Member

The multi coloured suede Sidis were my whippet slipper of choice back In the day ™

Sidi Fetish by nick3216, on Flickr

bol

I went and had a look at them this morning. The thing that might swing me towards the disco look is the fantastic price I can get them for. A self import would be a lot more expensive. Whether I’ll be able to sneak them past the bike gear police in my house is another issue.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Who had the bright idea to make MTB shoes white?’ is closed to new replies.