Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Who else in the north can smell pies?
  • johnellison
    Free Member

how anyone can be proud of a factory that churns out third rate baked goods is beyond me.

You’ve clearly never been to Baxenden. If you had, you would know why they are so proud of Hollands… 😯

RustySpanner

Quiche?

Flan, you mean?

zbonty

Quiche? Flan? Bit OT really guys. This is a pie thread!

freddyg
    Free Member

A pie without a lid??? Witchcraft.

failedengineer

Haffner’s pies. Mmmmmm. John Haffner’s an old friend of mine.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I used to live a stones throw from the McVities factory. I had to move before my arse became permanently wedged in the door frame.

RustySpanner

Off to Haffners this afternoon.

Which do you recommend?

Cougar

Now that’s a sandwich…

It’s a Wigan Kebab.

You’ve clearly never been to Baxenden. If you had, you would know why they are so proud of Hollands…

In Accrington, Baxenden is considered to be the posh end.

failedengineer

Rusty Spanner – meat and potato, of course. The prince of Pies.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had Sausage Pie for breakfast this morning, I now have an urge to speak Northern, like, init.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Will you lot give it a rest………. you haven’t had a pie till you’ve tried a Pooles meyt n spud

Wigan is the land of pies

konadad
    Free Member

with or without gravy? i don’t like too moist meself

trailmoggy
    Free Member

No don’t be daft and it must be eaten out of the foil, non of this knife and fork rubbish

Cougar

You need to add gravy a drop at a time, ideally with a pipette. It separates out the gravyphilic and gravyphobic flavours in the pie.

*loses everyone who’s not been reading other threads…*

trailmoggy
    Free Member

You can’t tell a Wiganer about pies

Spongebob
    Free Member

The Spongebob bachelor pad will have a dedicated pie oven – the homemade ones – I’ve 25 years of homemade pie deprivation to catch up on!

maccruiskeen

A friend of mine witnesses a major street brawl erupt in Wigan over who’s turn it was to get the pies in. Its not why Wiganers are referred to a Pie Eaters though – thats to do with eating metaphorical pie, not meat and potato.

An old friend of mine went to college down in Bucks, and when his birthday was approaching his brother tried to persuade a certain well respected St Helens pie proprietor to send a box down for his birthday party. Some wires got crossed and the pie vendors understood this to be some sort of media event, not a student party, and sensing an opportunity – sent not a box, but a van load of free pies.

maccruiskeen

Actually Trailmoggy – talking of Wigan…. I wonder if this distinction still applies:

In your opinion which of these is a moggy?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Or soup.

Bloke at work said that if you woke up in Wigan after being in a coma for a year you could tell what day it was by the smell from the Heinz soup factory.

Is this true?

thejesmonddingo

You can’t tell a Wiganer about owt,nivver mind pies.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

It’s true we aren’t called pie eater because we eat a lot of pies, it’s because the minors of wigan were the first go back after the general strike in 1926 and were said to be eating humble pie or something like that

but we seem to have taken a little too far and even have a pie eating championship……and our pies are the best

Oh and a moggy is a mouse, not a cat.

maccruiskeen

Oh and a moggy is a mouse, not a cat.

Good, thats not changed then.

When I lived in St Helens my GF at the time was reticent to go camping because of the Moggies. I thought she meant she though the site would full of feral cats but in St Helens a moggie is a spider or general creepy crawly.

johnellison
    Free Member

It’s true we aren’t called pie eater because we eat a lot of pies, it’s because the minors of wigan were the first go back after the general strike in 1926 and were said to be eating humble pie

Child labour was still a major factor in Wigan until well into the 20th Century… 🙄

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Who else in the north can smell pies?’ is closed to new replies.