Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Who else has moutain biking as their mental 'happy place'?
  • ernie67

Doesn’t work for me – i start imagining i’m being chased by a dog …& a bloody vicious one at that !

Karinofnine

I do. When I worked in an office I used to visualise bike rides to cheer myself up. I like road riding too, especially in the winter, less cleaning to do afterwards. However low I feel I guarantee that within a few hundred metres of cycling I will be smiling and laughing. Love it.

ferrals
    Free Member

From my office, if I look one way I can see my favourite local riding spot, if I look the other I look up a valley into the proper mountains beyond. It’s bloody distracting if the sun is shining!

Had horrible insomnia last night. Only rarely get it these days, had a phase last year when it was more often than not. Tried the visualising trail thing, while it distracted me from thinking about work, I was still wide awake. About the only thing that gets me back to sleep is trying to soley concentrate on my breathing in a kind of mindfulness style. Hard to do though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colournoise

BillMC – Member
    Check it ‘flow theory’ on Wikipedia , I can never remember how to spell that Hungarian’s name.

Cool stuff, but strikes me it’s just a modern codification of what the Zen and Taoist guys were saying way back about being in the the moment?

big_scot_nanny

Awesome stuff folks, just wonderful. Feels very ‘Oddball’ 🙂

I was so inspired yesterday I squeezed in two filthy muddy rides just to give me enough brain fodder. A nice morning spin on firmer singletrack, and a night ride in pure slop. Loved it!

Brain’s got enough to keep it mostly occupied for a while. Now, where’s the Gillian Anderson instagram apge again… 😉

CheesybeanZ

Pedalling the crazy away 

+1000 , helps keep the voices quite .

beagle
    Free Member

It’s temporarily not my happy place at the moment 🙁

After 2 months of putting everything on hold for a drawn out promotion process at work, on Thursday they renegaded on an agreed process and failed me at the last hurdle.

I went to clear my head Friday the only way I know how – on the bike. Going well until I broke my collarbone. Waiting for the surgery to pin it today. Trauma nurse just called and cancelled it today and booked me in for Friday. What a difference a week makes.

Thus, dreaming of things 2 wheeled at the moment is difficult. I know that will pass though. Ever since being 12 or 13, with girls/homework stuff going on, it’s always been a getaway…..

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Yep, whenever I go to the dentists for anything; scale & polish, filling etc, that requires a bit of discomfort, I always daydream about a good ride, and for some reason, jumping down steps.

Used to always be I used a ride as a place to think about things, but now I’m in a stressful job and have 2 young kids, its the opposite, it’s used to forget everything and just ‘be’ on the bike.

rocketman
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s a happy place but Im pretty much addicted to the workout and the endorphins or whatever they are that come with it

I don’t derive any enjoyment from being on a bike and simply pedalling I have to be going for it 100%.

Lakes_Puma

Last summer I drove to Chamonix for a weeks riding and on the way my car broke down, what followed was a week of hell, including being dumped in a shopping centre will all my kit and no car and phoning the breakdown service ever evening to find out what was happening with my car which was being moved from garage to garage in the wrong direction (further away from where I was staying).

But every day out on the trails I didn’t have a moments though about the car, I was too consumed by the joy of riding and the amazing scenery.

So in short YES I totally know where you are coming from.

zinaru
    Free Member

i suffered a bit from depression quite a few years back (still lingers on occasion)

the doctor suggested that meditation may help me to switch off from job and home worry but i could never chill enough to get any really benefit from it. however, i continually mentioned biking when talking about things that made me feel better or even great.

thats when he mentioned the idea of ‘active meditation’, that apparently grew out of long distance running. in effect, clearing your mind to do an extended simple task. worrying about the mortgage whilst running or riding over slippy roots and your end up on the floor. if you only think about cycling when cycling your actually in a state of mind thats as different from your normal ‘worry laden one’ as some zen calm.

and pedalling over wild remote places alone 99% of the time only increases the effect. and the fresh air, encounters with nature, a bike that rules etc and cycling is most definitely my ‘happy place’.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Who else has moutain biking as their mental 'happy place'?’ is closed to new replies.