Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Who else bikes and wild camps?
  • freakyansell
    Free Member

So decided to go out after work head up the hills and find the first decent spot (room with a view) and camp…Who else does this and lets see your pics and vids. Mine is here [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM3B84s7t_Y[/video]

boxelder

This lot

EDIT: I see you’ve been already

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup.
    Just not as much as I’d like too tho.

shermer75
    Free Member

Good video that 🙂

househusband

Yup – several times over the years!

freakyansell
    Free Member

Great to get out in the middle of no where and thanks for liking the vid…Any pics or vids guys and what do u take with you I took as little as possible…Tent, sleeping bag, roll matt, gas stove and food, some warm gear and some trainers so can relax…Oh and a bottle of Whisky just to keep warm lol

yunki
    Free Member

Me and the other half did a couple of train/bike/campsite style weekends last year with a mountain of inappropriate kit.. We’re definitely looking at getting some lighter weight gear this year for an attempt at something a bit wilder

househusband

One of the more memorable weekends away – Glen Etive a few years ago:

Set off in fair weather and the first night was fuelled by whisky and lots of fire:

Woke up to horizontal sleet and Baltic conditions:

Conditions did improve but next night we slept in a bothy and woke up to a glorious day:

And rode through some beautiful ancient woodland:

freakyansell
    Free Member

Look like a good adventure and Whisky always helps lol…Great pics

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m heading out later today.
    Hopefully.
    Spent the afternoon dicking around with kit choices..

aracer
    Free Member

No, surprisingly. But I definitely plan to this year – probably a trip by myself and one with mini-aracer.

keefmac

yep, not for a few months though. last one was the day before new years eve. got the train to bangor and rode over to anglesey on the fatbike, ended up at porth eilian lighthouse and slept in the rough ground close by. beautiful clear night, very cold but no rain. no whiskey but a great nights sleep and two good days riding.

amedias
    Free Member

I’m heading out this sunday with a couple of mates for a bit of Dartmoor action, hope the weather holds!

duckman

Don’t recognise the weather you lot seem to have there though…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perfect for ducks 😉

chrisgibson
    Free Member

This is something I really want to try. Any advice for how to ‘start’ with this?

amedias
    Free Member

Any advice for how to ‘start’ with this

There’s lods of info around on the web, several forums, including a MASSIVE thread on here somewhere with just about all the info you need, but nothing beats jumping in and giving it a try!

Get a couple of mates together, get your kit together, strap it on any way you cna and find somewhere local to go.

For the first time you don’t need masses of expensive lightweight gear, and you don’t need to go on a big epic trip. Just use what you’ve got, borrow what you can and if you need to buy anything new then don’t go overboard to begin with.

I’m a newbie as well and started with a small handful of Alpkit dry bags (< £10 each), a tarp (£35 but can be had for less), used an old stove I had, bought an alpkit bivi bag (£35), I was going to use my existing sleeping bag but spotted a really good deal locally for one and I needed a new one anyway, shoved it all into the dry bags in various ways, strapped them to my bike and went off for a trip with some friends.

You can worry about paring down kit, getting posh bags, lightwight bits and bobs later if you get hooked 🙂

lots of info and inspiration here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sick-as-a-dog-so-show-me-you-bivi-bikepacking-adventure-racing-gear

benp1

These pics should go on the sick as a dog thread, its the best thread on STW

Also check out bearbonesbikepacking, great forum for this sort of thing

duckman

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/redspeedster

No need to spend a fortune,I find the K.I.S.S. method works well. Pot holder/shield and stove from this guy for less that £20, light as a gnats fart as well. Nor do you need a drop bar dandy chariot. (The Goretex pro shell is not a luxury though!)

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Cracking vid!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Well, I was going to head out today..
    But due to a cock-up ( mine, kinda) regarding work, It will have to be another time.
    But soon.
    Very soon.

crash_gav
    Free Member

First of the this years jaunts undertaken last week. North West Coast, Scotland.

Beautiful Weather but mental freezing when the sun went down. Fat bikes here too.

crash_gav
    Free Member

Should have added one bit of advice from experience. Be careful not to block view of front wheel if doing techy stuff, point and shoot has limitations.

Enjoy.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

crash_gav – Member

First of the this years jaunts undertaken last week. North West Coast, Scotland.

Beautiful Weather but mental freezing when the sun went down. Fat bikes here too.

My favorite bit of the country. Quiet at the busiest of times but i bet it was cracking this time of the year if solitude is what you like. 😉

40mpg

I need to get back into this, haven’t done one for a couple of years. Only seemed to happen in winter, so generally cold and wet. Or just very cold!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/bsXXPH]2012-02-11_08-08-24_335[/url] by Newforce Photos, on Flickr

Perhaps some beach bivvi’s this year!

crash_gav
    Free Member

It is always great Griffiths, perfect places to Wild Camp. Solitude has its place, thats for sure. But this time I went with my mate.

We also went into Fionn Loch (Carnmore bothy) and out by Gruinard River. If you ever get the chance, thats a topper. Although, no midgies at this time of year does help.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Who else bikes and wild camps?’ is closed to new replies.