Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Who doesn't have a car?
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Mine hasn’t moved for 6 weeks now, i’ve just taxed it for 6 months at £90 and the insurance is £98 per month and simply don’t see the need for it. so, it’s going to be sold. I quite like the idea of having no car, makes me think outside the box in terms of transport and journeys. i either cycle or get the train. anyone else done this?

tomdebruin
    Free Member
    alpin
    Free Member

yup, last three years, but i’m in germany and infrastructure is much better here than where i was living in the uk (essex).

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I don’t. never owned one. mInd you, MsD owns a car and i own the house…

starsh78
    Free Member

I dont own one, however Mrs Starsh does, I have my camber for…. well everything 🙂 she is selling hers, she will be Giant-bound for her daily commute!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Done to death about four days ago. Happy reading!
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/has-anyone-chosen-to-be-car-less

uplink
    Free Member

I have to have one for work but I haven’t driven it for 3 weeks now – seems a waste

Mrs has one that does all the shopping duties etc.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve never owned, nor driven a car. Why would I?

rossi46
    Free Member

I only ever use the car (which is my wife’s not mine) for ‘lugging stuff around’, doing the weekly shop (you cant stuff much in a rucksack) and taking the kids to nursey (which is 10 miles away, so car is convienient).
    99% of my non cycle distance journeys are by motorcycle. Yes in all weathers apart from snow! That would be silly…..

traildog
    Free Member

I sort of don’t have one. Well, the wife has sold hers and now has mine, so I’m a bit of a fraud really but as you say, it makes you think about transport a bit more and I enjoy the train and riding far more than driving. But I do find it very useful having the ability to use a car when I occasionally do need one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Me – neither me or Mrs TJ has owned a car for the best part of 30 years.

What we do is to mentally put aside a couple of thousand a year that a car would cost and dip into that for taxis and hire cars as needed. We rarely actually spend more than a few hundred.

You have to be imaginative and creative and some things become harder to do – on the other hand some things are better – like using trains to do linear rides or walks rather than circular ones and pushing you into wild camping rather than driving tot eh highlands and back in a day

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/has-anyone-chosen-to-be-car-less

molgrips
    Free Member

Saying you don’t have a car when your wife/partner does doesn’t really count 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Only got one and learnt to drive this year, perfectly happy cycling or using public transport. I hardly use the car, but need it now for work stuff and it’s given me a bit of independance. I hate driving unless it’s on a sunny country lane with no one around. When my situation changes and I don’t ‘need’ a car I will sell it and just hire one when I need to. The expenses on running a car can be better spent on things I enjoy like artwork, cigars, cycling stuff and holidays in the sunshine.

Grimy
    Free Member

When my fiancee and I moved in together we sold my car and changed hers for a more practical estate. I choose to ride to work as its less than 10 miles away, I enjoy cycling, and I have shower facilitys there. Sarah could get the bus, but we werent ready to make the leap from two cars to nothing straight away. Glad we didnt. We use public transport or ride when and where is reasonably practicle, but the car is just too usefull to live without whislt we have a choice.

The Long term plan is to get her mother to move closer so we can care for her easyer, at which point the car will be less important. But even then, I cant say for sure that Id go without. Last week alone I made four trips to the local refuge center with my trailer full of garden waste and rubble from the new Patio im laying. It would have taken a couple off skips, at much less convieniance and greater cost had I not got the car and trailer. As would have been shifting all the conifers at her mums house the month before. I know theres ways around it, but I dont belive they would be any more financially viable, and certainly more of a headache.

We do our bit to be a little more green, but were not going the whole way yet.

My fiancee car shares with a collegue too BTW 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t have a car.

I’ve got 9 motorbikes* and two 4x4s.

*possibly more, I lose track

Grimy
    Free Member

Christ, that must cost a few quid in tax! lol. I’d love a motorbike, but I dont trust myself enough to get one. 😳

5thElefant
    Free Member

Most are race bikes.

Militant_biker

I sold both my cars when I moved to the States. And despite what people say, you can exist in the USA without a car – thankfully the supermarket is within a walk, and there are weekday local trains to Philly and NYC, and the trails are within a 5 mile road ride.

I existed in Edinburgh for many years without a car, used to get the train to Pitlochry area to ride on occasion or ride to Glentress/Inners, or car-shared with others. Tesco delivered the groceries. However, once I got a car, I did a lot more varied riding, and it made getting stuff for the house much easier. Car was generally only used at weekends; I am quite pleased with myself that I continued to commute by bike even in nasty weather

RealMan
    Free Member

Never driven a car. Pretty sure its a passing fad.

molgrips
    Free Member

And despite what people say, you can exist in the USA without a car if you are lucky

FTFY 🙂

Militant_biker

I think the

thankfully the supermarket is within a walk, and there are weekday local trains to Philly and NYC, and the trails are within a 5 mile road ride.

bit covered that molgrips… 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was car less for ages, I’d rather pay the idiot tax that is car ownership though.

Unless you happen to live, work and play in the same area then a car just makes too much sense.

molgrips
    Free Member

I do tend to get a warm glow when I’m a long way from my car. Currently 17 miles from it, which is giving me a sort of tepid feeling.

StirlingCrispin

I’m with molgrips.
    I lived in the US without a car for a year.
    A small town in Ohio.

All buying a car did was increase the radius in which there was nothing to do (but ride my bike!).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Who doesn't have a car?’ is closed to new replies.