Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Who does voluntary work?
  • Mounty_73

Who gives up their time for voluntary work?

If so, what do you do?

boxelder

Used to do a lot with the BTCV

School governor now, if that counts?

luke
    Free Member

Assistant Scout leader
    Scout activty support – I take other Scout/youth groups climbing
    I’m on a planning commitee for a County level Scout activity weekend for 4000 kids
    I’m on the school ptfa
    I help out with a homeless shelter
    I’m helping out at another homeless shelter over the festive period up in London.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wingnuts

School Governor as well. Really important work now that local authorities collapsing and academies are taking the world.

littlei
    Free Member

I run workshops and give talks offering information and advice about cancer

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Help organise/run events for the village. Also looking into working with kids in care at the mo.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Seriously thinking about doing voluntary work at the mo. Looking into it. Feel like being a driver for blind or old people. Will be looking into it sooner rather than later.

Trekster

Currently help out with local Go-Ride club.
    Tomorrow and into Dec working with local school and Active Schools to deliver the first Bikeability 3.
    In the past have helped run a school swimming club for 16yrs and 5yrs with special needs. Helped start a special needs club which is still going.
    Done the school pta & board

Bunnyhop

The council used to run ‘Health walks’ (which stopped last year due to the funding cuts).
    I was one of the walk leaders.

Very enjoyable as it got people out into the countryside and walking, something which a lot of them hadn’t done for years.
    The aim was to get for example an ex-heart patient into some easy low input exercise. When they were able to walk at least a mile without getting out of breath they were sent to the ‘one a day’ walks (which is what I led).
    They had a choice of at least 5 walks during the week which would be 2-3 miles long lasting 2 hours, with a short break.As a leader it only took up 2 hours once a fortnight.

I loved it and got as many as 26 attending at any one time. However illness put paid to it as I wasn’t able to commit to definite dates.

It’s so rewarding when a complete stranger comes up and thanks you for helping them and giving up your time.

simon67
    Free Member

I’m a teaching assistant – that’s almost voluntary!

tootallpaul

Just spent the last 18 months in Ethiopia helping set up a network in a teacher training college with Voluntary Services Overseas.

Now unemployed…

And awaiting on Disclosure so I can do some voluntary work with the RNIB.

stumpyjon

Regularly trail build (with the land owners support, FC). Also a member of a local MTB pressure group. Wife’s a school governer.

Northwind

I do- trailbuilding in a couple of places, all legit and approved. Though tbh it doesn’t really feel like proper voluntary work.

Simon

+1 for what Northwind wrote.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I work full-time for a local youth work project. Wife and I agreed we should try and live off her salary for a bit so I could help them out with a bit of development work.

It’s good fun and very rewarding, but we do miss the cash at times…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve done voluntary work with Sustrans for about the last 12 years, including spending 2 or 3 weeks every summer building cycle paths – good fun driving dumpers and rollers 😀

bazookajoe
    Free Member

A lot of people judging by that working hours thread…only jesting.

Do two jobs at the mo but if that ever reduces I would definitely be interested in voluntary work, probably forest school and outdoor learning stuff with the kids school.

Previously done bike club committee stuff, though I do have to recruit volunteers as part of my work.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve volunteered with a down syndrome children’s charity. Do drawings and graphics for an animal rescue. Looking at setting up a horse riding charity with girlfriend and her friends. I started doing charity work when I was unemployed with depression, it helped me as much as them 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I sometimes get the washing in if it starts raining when there’s no one else at home except me

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I did a season helping coach a youth football team a few years back.

Will soon be volunteering in the audit dept. at the local hospital, but there is a remarkable amount of paperwork that needs doing before they let you in!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Voluntary crew member for our lifeboat station.

We are not RNLI so all funds are raised and all work is voluntary!

I get to do some thing interesting stuff, go out on the RIB and get good experience and knowledge for the navy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Who does voluntary work?’ is closed to new replies.