Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Who do you think you are?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s dead interesting, other times – well.. the people are nice and all, but their families aren’t that interesting are they?

Ambrose

I enjoy the programme, but do not set time aside to watch it. One day however i caught the John Barnes episode and it seems that he and I share/ have quite a few places, times and people in common. Never met him though, that I’m aware of at least.

SaxonRider

The Miller and Armstrong piss-take is brilliant!

In the meantime, I love the idea…

flashinthepan
    Free Member

It depends entirely on the personality.

I enjoyed the Greg Davies and especially the Sir Ian McKellen episodes. My (late) father was at school with Sir Ian and had already shared a few stories of him.

Other episodes leave me pretty cold

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not seen it…but I recently found out that my official family tree literally goes back 1000 years and includes a norse king of Northumbria, the founder of an Oxford college and more recently…the Fiennes family.

So apparently, I’m distantly related to the royal family – but my lot married some descendants of Hungarian Jews and Gypsies so were probably cut off or talked about in hushed tones. 😆

I’m trying to decide whether this makes you lot peasants…

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you’ll find almost everyone is related to a Norse king or some other ruler.

Jamie
    Free Member

Of course we’re all related to rulers. As we all have a helix in our DNA.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I think you’ll find almost everyone is related to a Norse king or some other ruler.

How many can actually trace that far back though? I’d be interested to know 🙂

The Fiennes lot aren’t that far back though.

It was amusing for about 10 minutes anyway.

frankconway

No idea

Harry_the_Spider

As we all have a helix in our DNA

chapeau.

My dad has traced back my mother’s side of the family. If you go back far enough the spread is such that all sorts of interesting people can start showing up. The more famous they were the better documented they are.

I’m very distantly related to J Bruce Ismay, The Duke of Wellington and Henry Bowers, who was one of Scott’s Antarctic team and is also related to someone else on STW.

andyl
    Free Member

Ronnie Pickering?

bodgy
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t think of many less interesting things than watching someone I don’t know trace their family history. Maybe watching them play a computer game might beat it for dullness.

johnx2
    Free Member

What about reading someone criticising it for dullness?

Or, (ah ha!) reading someone criticising someone criticising it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe watching them play a computer game might beat it for dullness.

…and that’s the story of how Dez didn’t invent Twitch.

sands
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Of course we’re all related to rulers. As we all have a helix in our DNA.

^^^ Very good 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Dez didn’t invent Twitch. .. or YouTube

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s usually a bit meh whenever I’ve bothered to watch it – but the Danny Dyer one is hilarious!

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/funny-video/articles/watch-danny-dyers-family-history-will-freak-your-nut

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How many can actually trace that far back though?

Statistics mean we don’t need to. 1000 years, assuming most generations spaced 20 years apart and no in-breeding, would give you 1,125,899,906,842,624 unique ancestors the last time the Vikings invaded. In the doomsday book it’s estimated there are less than 2million people in England eight decades later. Which obviously means;
    a) we’re all quite a bit inbred
    b) we’re probably all related to you and your norse king.

My surname at least goes back to Feudal times in the North West which is still where most of my family live, although I’ve bumped into one other with the same name who’s family tree involved emigrating to Russia from there several hundred years ago so we clearly got about a bit. And my dad’s side all have big noses and afro’s (proper 70’s microphone afro’s) so clearly someone was playing away from home down at Lancaster docks.

footflaps

The Miller and Armstrong piss-take is brilliant!

Just watched that again, very good..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65QRaR16io[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m still Jenny from the block.

molgrips
    Free Member

They should’ve given up after the Boris Johnson one.

johnx2
    Free Member

Boris’ johnson is responsible for a few family tree complications already

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Who do you think you are?’ is closed to new replies.