Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 185 total)
  • Who do you boycott?
  • kayak23

Just recently started knocking about with a nice lady who has a habit of making me aware of the consequences of my purchasing choices in terms of human rights, animal cruelty etc.

My favorite ‘soda’ maker, Coke is apparently responsible for violence and intimidation towards workers in Columbia and Guatemala, the electric toothbrush I just bought is made by Braun who test on animals, the Rolos I bought for us to enjoy are made by Nestle who have dubious advice to offer African mothers….etc etc etc…

It’s a minefield out there seemingly and I guess I tend to be happily ignorant for much of the time but would quite like not to be.

So who do you boycott, why do you boycott them and how far out of your way either in convenience or financially do you go to make ethical choices?

Maybe you fall in the apathy camp like I’ve been guilty of?

It’s tough to be ‘clean’ these days…

coke article

bedmaker

Harrods

binners

Porsche, Ferrari and Bentley

druidh
    Free Member

I would just boycott the “nice lady who has a habit of making me aware of the consequences of my purchasing choices in terms of human rights, animal cruelty etc.”

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sky

trail_rat
    Free Member

local bikeshops with bad business ethics.

yossarian
    Free Member

tesco – for a myriad of reasons. Get all of my groceries from little, local producers or a couple of decent independent shops. More expensive and timne consuming but still better than tesco.

Northwind

Macdonalds. Well not exactly boycotting, it did start off as a feeble studenty protest around mclibel time, but now it’s just because they’re not very good.

wrecker
    Free Member

It would be easier to just boycott the nice lady.

kayak23

So why folks?

wwaswas

Superstar Components. The way he behaved on here and in other places was unacceptable.

Stuff from Israel.

kayak23

It would be easier to just boycott the nice lady.

True….but she is VERY nice…. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Rapha.

Their appropriation of cycling history and tradition to sell over priced fashion clothing made in various cheaper-than-the-UK countries get on ma nerves.

AlasdairMc

Israeli produce in any form.

yossarian
    Free Member

tesco – for the immense damamge they’ve done to our high streets and local shops, for the noose they put around the necks of our food producers, for the trillions of plastic bags scattered across the countryside that they refuse to remove.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

the electric toothbrush I just bought is made by Braun who test on animals

She objects to animals having clean teeth?

crikey
    Free Member

yossarian
    Free Member

oh yeah i’d forgotten israel – nothing from them either. How a nation formed from the despair of the holocaust can knowingly inflict civilian suffering on a neighbour is beyond me.

voodoo_chile

Frankie and bennys
    Maplin
    sports direct
    b and q
    All done to bad experience, the ethics of their personnel and retail practice leave me fuming

And breathe

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would just boycott the “nice lady who has a habit of making me aware of the consequences of my purchasing choices in terms of human rights, animal cruelty etc.”

I stay away from the unenlightened.

yunki
    Free Member

tobacco companies

smett72

Go Compare, purely because I hate their TV adverts.

wrecker
    Free Member

True….but she is VERY nice….

May I suggest a game then?
    You try to consume as much product from as dodgy a moral source as you can without being found out.

She objects to animals having clean teeth?

That is a classic. 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

Domestic and general.
    Any French car

andytherocketeer

Boycott is probably a bit strong a word, but there’s a few brands that won’t be getting my hard earned € any time soon.
    Nike, plus 2 of the most popular global consumer gadgetry/computer companies. Oh and the Guardian. And $ky.

edit: oh and Peugeot (^^ thanks for the reminder)

footflaps

How a nation formed from the despair of the holocaust can knowingly inflict civilian suffering on a neighbour is beyond me.

I think the two are related, the suffering from one has instilled such a sense of self preservation (at any cost) that they seem to blind to the suffering of others. Ironic and rather sad really.

stewartc
    Free Member

For his controversial cricket commentatory I have always wanted to boycott Geoff Boycott?
    I do try to avoid buying French if possible and anything involving Murdoch or The Guardian, two sides of the same coin.

porter_jamie

tesco, sky, macdonalds

FuzzyWuzzy

Go Compare, purely because of the world’s most annoying adverts

StuF

Nestle due to their dubious practices of giving away free baby milk to mothers in africa – which in turn leads to the mother becoming dependent on said baby milk to feed their babies

uwe-r
    Free Member

The Guardian? What paper do buy instead? They are all tainted in some way but I would of though the Guardian must have the least mud stuck to it?

scuzz
    Free Member

Starbucks, ever since they’ve started installing ‘one button coffee machines’. I don’t care if it’s exactly the same, I want my coffee being accompanied with the ‘whack’ of emptying coffee filters.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Married to a midwife so Nestle products are not allowed.
    Try to avoid the big coffee shop chains and find local independents if possible.
    Also stopped taking any papers that make Murdoch any money, never buy red tops.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Geoffrey

hilldodger
    Free Member

Anything from local shops for their failure to form a coherent brand image and market presence
    Anything from local producers for having a supply strategy based upon “what’s in season” rather than “what can be obtained”
    Any consumer goods named after fruits
    And anything Scottish

binners

You boycott the Guardian? On what grounds? I could understand employing George Monbiot, but…

andytherocketeer

I wouldn’t buy a paper now anyway, and wouldn’t pay to get thru online newspaper firewalls either. But Guardian is down there with the Daily Wail (which is a given), in the likelihood of getting money from me.
    Being ex-pat also means I don’t need to explicitly “boycott” all those insurance companies with seriously annoying ads.

edit: and I refuse to click any Mail/Guardian links in posts too. Even if they are free to read.

wrecker
    Free Member

But Guardian is down there with the Daily Wail (which is a given), in the likelihood of getting money from me.

Yep, the other extreme for me too.

cinnamon_girl

Poncy coffee shops.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sky and anything else touched by Murdoch
    Food products with Palm Oil, eg Nutella
    Unethically produced food, eg cheap chicken etc
    Companies I’ve had poor service from

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘Who do you boycott?’ is closed to new replies.