• This topic has 60 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Who commutes in their work clothes?
  • ads678

8 Miles, with hils + 16 stone & hairy = SWEAT!

Bike gear but not the full team sky issue. Shower at work and put trews and shirt on.

I thought commuting was a unofficial race anyway?

tootallpaul

Graham- my commute is only a couple of miles, and I was walking it.

Bu, as it comes to a choice between 30 minute walk, or a 15 minute cycle for me, and I know which one I choose.

As for mud and wet clothes, waterproofs and mudguards resolve that issue.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I thought commuting was a unofficial race anyway?

I must admit that I take great pleasure in racing the MAMILs on my ride home along the Etape du Embankment some days. 🙂

Giant_Hedge_Stack
    Free Member

3 mile but no. Would be especially tricky in bad wether. Save my shower for work.

maxlite
    Free Member

Only 5.5 miles but in summer sweat like hell plus in winter I don’t want to work in wet clothes 🙂

Plus do interval sprints, great fun

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Weren’t Aldi and Lidl invented for this sort of riding?

fathomer

I have to change as I’m a sweaty mess even though it’s only 5 miles each way. Though I wear baggies as I’d never hear the end of it if I wore lycra!

IanW
    Free Member

6 miles each way, rarely a drop of sweat so my work clothes are the jeans and jersey top I rode in wearing.

TBH I find commuter cyclist racing as anti social as cars speeding. (Their usually embarrassingly crap cyclists too)

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t wear special clothing for a short walk, so why would I do so for a short bike ride?

D0NK

TBH I find commuter cyclist racing as anti social as cars speeding.

assuming it’s just commuter racing (putting in some effort and passing other people) and not commuter ****tery (RLJing, weaving in and out oblivious to other road users, etc) then I’m having difficulty seeing the problem.

Weren’t Aldi and Lidl invented for this sort of riding?

amen

nedrapier

I have the same difficulty as D0NK.

The commute gives me 60 miles a week, I cycle partly because I like the exercise, so going faster means I get more benefit. And I don’t like being in that gaggle of cyclists in front of traffic, slowly stringing out as they decide whether to tuck in behind or go ahead of each other. And once you’ve stomped away, you really owe it to yourself and others to keep it up.

I wonder if anyone else thinks I’m racing.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Work clothes as it is only 3.5 miles. Im still half asleep so Im not going to rush and sweat. Im sometimes wearing Road shoes though if I am doing a proper ride straight from work.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Couldn’t do it, we have showers at work and although its only 5 miles each way, on the cargo bike uphill I do get a bit warm, so I prefer to shower and change when I get there

hjghg5
    Free Member

I wear a skirt for work most days, and as I’d need to shower at some point in the morning anyway it’s easy to cycle to work in Lycra and shower when I get here.

ton

12 miles a day every day in normal work clothes, which for me is combat type shorts (endura) or trousers (endura), base layer t shirt, work polo shirt.
    I wear these all day everyday on a trade counter. nobody has told me I stink yet.

core

I guess it all depends how much you sweat, generally, not just your ride.

I’m hoping before too long to plan my week a bit better and have set days in the office, at which point I’ll likely commute, but I’ll have to have at least a spare shirt and some anti-perspirant at work, I sweat at the drop of a hat, even very mild temperatures, uncontrollably so, there’s no way I could sit there all day and subject my colleagues to my post cycle b-o.

IanW
    Free Member

assuming it’s just commuter racing (putting in some effort and passing other people) and not commuter ****tery (RLJing, weaving in and out oblivious to other road users, etc) then I’m having difficulty seeing the problem

IMO theres a difference between a weekend club run on open country roads and cycling furiously through urban areas shared with loads of other people who just want to get from A to B. It unfortunatly does often include weaving, excesive risk taking etc which can be intimadating to other road users or pedestrians.

Whilst its mostly harm free, I cant help feeling it puts cycling and cyclist in a bad light, its just a bit knobish.

callous
    Free Member

I take a longer 5.5 mile route with hills as fast as I can to get some exercise. I am usually a sweaty mess by the time I hit the office. I get changed and have a sluice to get clean, spray on some deo and I’m good to go. I usually wear jeans or shorts in but change from a cycling top into t-shirt. Thanks to the casual wear office policy.

D0NK

It unfortunatly does often include weaving, excesive risk taking

so ****tery then? don’t see much of it myself round here but then again I retired from commuter racing a while ago 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

I retired from commuter racing a while ago

you never retire. you just lose more often.

D0NK

🙂
    9months ago I switched to an xc commute anyway, I see about 1 rider a week

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Who commutes in their work clothes?’ is closed to new replies.