• This topic has 41 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Who can rollerskate?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

My girls are both rollerskate mad at the minute, 5 & 9, I was thinking of having a go with them. Never see any men skating. I appreciate I’d look a total **** but the girls would think it’s great and that’s what counts.

Can anyone skate?

Bregante

Yep. Or at least I could on Thursday nights at Roller City in Rochdale in the early 80’s…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Loads and i mean loads of my biking mates do roller derby.. so men do indeed

thegreatape
    Free Member

I can, although not without singing Starlight Express songs under my breath.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Yes I can skate, spent too many years at Granby halls with my Bauer’s.

jools182
    Free Member

You might get away with it in Germany or California..

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I used to Rollerskate. In fact I used to play Rollerhockey. Bauer Turbo 24’s ace!!!

binners

Used to skate loads. Another roller hockey player here too monkeysfeet. And former Bauer turbo owner (Tracker mid-track and Santa Cruz OJ’s) They’ve just opened a new rink near us. I’ve taken my girls a couple of times, and I’m presently trying to resist the urge for another set of Bauers

julianwilson
    Free Member

I can. A mate is a rollerderbyist, it looks well fun, but there are only so many things you can fit in your life, and boys roller derby down here would mean a lot of travelling compared to the many girls teams locally.

Pik n Mix – Member
    Yes I can skate, spent too many years at Granby halls with my Bauer’s.

I believe it is like hoovers, my wife tells me that in Leicester you can call whatever (2×2) skates Bauers, regardless of the make. Also mandatory to have them poorly laced up with the plastic tongue thingy stuck out front. Wife and i used to go skating at zanzibar near the bus station when we were just starting out, Granby Halls was/were a pile of rubble by then. 🙁

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I used to rollerskate then watch my friend compound fracture his arm when I was 14…. Put me off it to be honest

EDIT

Which is a bit weird considering I have a decent number of MTB injuries and that doesn’t bother me.

takisawa2

Can rollerblade. An old chap runs a roller disco in a local sports hall every Saturday afternoon.
    It gets packed. I bet there’s 100+ people there most weeks. Very popular. Best £3 you can spend. My boys thought I was joking till I got my blades out the attic. The old chap running the disco had a chuckle when he saw them. They are quite old fashioned apparently. 🙂

Russell96

I used to work at a local ice rink and play ice hockey. My challenge on roller skates has always been resisting the urge to apply the lean angles I could easily do on ice skates, rather than ending up with a nasty bruising from rollerskates slipping away from underneath me. Also on the ice some of your falling energy is directed into sideways motion sliding along the ice, rather than the painful straight down thud on rollerskates.

chip
    Free Member

Guilty, also in the eighties.
    Roces skates, fat laces and the obligatory leg earmers over the top.
    Happy days.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

This place worries me. Leg shaving threads and now this complete with legwarmers.
    Take your kids if they would like to go. That is what being a parent is about.

racefaceec90

i used to be able to roller skate as a kid.

aracer
    Free Member

Can inline and ice skate (have played roller hockey, but only at a fun having a knock about level). I’ve never got the impression people think I look a total **** – people and kids in particular tend to be quite impressed if you can skate.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Never had the leg warmers, did have the ACS 651 Skateboard trucks for that extra awezum look. Used to skate at a huge roller rink in Warrington and the YMCA in Southport…speed skating to “Blue Monday” by New Order..(yes it was the 80’s) happy happy days. 😀

eddiebaby
    Free Member

We used to publish an inline magazine. I have two pair of skates, one a five wheel long frame speed set and I occasionally blast up the seafront in Weymouth. It feels like flying when you get it right. And tastes like tarmac when you don’t.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member
    We used to publish an inline magazine. I have two pair of skates, one a five wheel long frame speed set and I occasionally blast up the seafront in Weymouth. It feels like flying when you get it right. And tastes like tarmac when you don’t.

That made me lol 🙂
    I am the only one on my own, old, Decathlon rollerblades, in a cycling helmet, when I take my 5 year old roller skating. Go and be thankful you don’t look like me! Good fun though…

kayak23

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xEcMG2Jvx3k[/video]

M6TTF
    Free Member

Yes. Take my two lads every now and then to the roller disco, it’s ace! However people kept staring at my gold crop top and hotpants

mogrim

I can rollerblade, as someone mentioned above it impresses kids no end. Don’t do it often, and could really do with some new blades as mine are over 15 years old now…

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, another one of the roller hockey generation here.

I never played at any kind of level, and haven’t skated for years, but I’m pretty sure it would all come back pretty soon if I put on a pair of Bauers..
    I did have a look at prices for new quads on line a while ago…

Beagleboy

My wife just bought herself a new pair of roller skates yesterday. Apparently their called ‘Quad Skates’ now. She’s looking at me to accompany her down to the Helix park in Falkirk where she’ll skate and I’ll fall flat on my face trying to relearn what limited abilities I had to balance on my Bauer FX4000 roller blades that I last wore 17yrs ago. 😐

I dug them out from under the cupboard last night and they just sat there, with a malevolent look about them. I’m truly scared of a pair of boots. I think I’m going to have to man up…..and tell Kerry that I’ll cycle along beside her. 😳

Mountain biking? No problem. Snowboarding? Really starting to love the whole ‘off piste’ through the trees rush. Strapping a set of wheels to my feet and wobbling around a flat park? Terrifies me! 😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

had a period of scooting about the streets on these i the mid 80s! 😆

chomp
    Free Member

Used to roller speed skate until I passed my driving test and the lure of doing other things got the better of me and I didn’t want to spend evenings training and racing on a Sunday on a come down after a Saturday night out clubbing wasn’t really going to be a great idea.

Took my kids a few weeks ago and the result was one of them in a sling for 3 weeks (which was a shame as for the first time on a pair of skates they both really picked it up quick)

binners

monkeysfeet – Warrington was where I used to skate. A couple of times a week. Happy days indeed. Though I didn’t bother with the leg warmers either. 😀

A fantastic rink. Mahoosive. With the half-pipe at one end. Did you used to do the insanely life-threatening figure-of 8-speed skating? Managed to avoid getting my legs broken, but saw a good few people carted off to hospital. The new rink they’ve opened in Bury is a fair old size. Biggest I’ve been in in a long time. I’ve ben taking my daughters. I’ve bought them both their own skates, and I’ve been eying up a pair of thee babies….

Though, like a lot of things in life, once you start speccing them up how you’d ideally like them (Bel Air Hockey on decent bearings) , it soon starts getting pretty bloody expensive. Not sure I can justify £200+

stumpy01

I can probably roller skate.

I used to skate loads when growing up, on some cheap skates from Zodiac, the toy shop.

We lived in a cul-de-sac with an alley through to another cul-de-sac and used to be play cops & robbers with both streets and the alley as the area of the game; one team on skates & the other on bikes.

Not been on a pair in years, but did a bit of rollerblading a while back and didn’t disgrace myself, as well as the occasional lap of an ice rink.

These skates:

unovolo
    Free Member

I can do a passable attempt at it on both Ice or Roller rink wish I had a bit more confidence like these lovelies.
    [video]https://youtu.be/hi4pzKvuEQM[/video]

thomthumb
    Free Member

yep. back in the 90s had bauer turbos (wide trucks) then blades. bauers would still be cool I reckon.

I see loads of blokes skating along the seafront in southampton.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Says it all really.

the-muffin-man

Yep – I can. I was bought up on Roller Discos at the local leisure centre.

We usually end up at Roller World in Derby a few times a year with my daughter and friends. There are usually a good few dads skating on a Saturday afternoon.

And for the time being I’m still faster than my daughter! 😀

Everytime I go I keep thinking I need some Bauer skates.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I could rollerskate pretty well when I was a kid, except our skates were the ancient ‘strap to your shoes’ jobs. We played hockey on the school yard using a large shoe polish tin filled with sand & wrapped in black insulating tape. I soon got into ice skating & was decent at that too, played recreational hockey at Durham with the old guys team in the early 90’s, hence my love of watching NHL.

chip
    Free Member

I think the leg warmers were in fact called hockey socks. 😀

D0NK

Yeah I can skate a bit, if it wasn’t so laughably unfashionable (and the roads/pavements so poorly surfaced) I would probably do more, still got some cheapy bauers in the cupboard. Blades and ice skating I can get around ok, crossover, bit of backwards. Went to a skatepark once, never again, not my thing I just like getting around/going fast on them. Took the kids to roller disco a few weeks ago, it was tricky adapting to the hired standard skates, inline seems a lot easier.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Yep, well i could, can’t say I’ve tested those skills for a few years. Used to have quads and play a bit of disorganised hockey after hours in the local MFI car park. Then had inlines a few years later. Preferred the quads.

tthew

Used to skate at a huge roller rink in Warrington

Ahh, the Empire Skate Building. Takes me back, used to love that place. Just about fast enough for the speed skating sessions on the hire boots.

I still have my skateboard bought from the shop there!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Yes, often go to local park, prefer skateboarding though.
    On a side note, the wife has agreed to get a skateboard and go to the park with me, 😯 we’re both on the wrong side of 50.
    Most our age are settling into pipe/slippers mentality, not us, we’re going down fighting. 8)

saxabar
    Free Member

First DJ-ing gigs were playing rave tunes at Roller Disco in Hull 1990. Great fun 🙂

footflaps

Cliff Richard can…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn9mLnKmPco[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Who can rollerskate?’ is closed to new replies.