Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Who can I talk to when it feels like there's no one to talk to?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Kind of feel myself in a position where I’m feeling a bit down and a bit of a waste of space, want to talk to someone but don’t know who to talk to.

Can’t talk to the missus as I feel a bit of a failure, parents a no as one won’t understand and the other will tell me I’m being stupid. Mates not really, but feel like I need to talk, and not just vent on a forum!

Pook

Pff. Don’t deny yourself the benefit of the folks on here..

I’ve made some cracking mates through here. Behind each user name is a person with their own worries, concerns and challenges that you will never know about. Talk to them/us and you’ll no doubt find a sympathetic ear

wors

Spit it out fella. We are all here to help.

properbikeco
    Free Member

samaritans if it’s really tough, GP and get referral for counseller if that is more appropriate, DO NOT bottle it up – secrets make you sick.

good luck fella

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Samaritans, SANE, MIND, etc.

There are literally dozens of mental health helplines. Give one a call.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Someone on here is bound to be near you, I’m in Peebles if that helps and can go a cycle and a chat right now.

soops
    Free Member

I went to the doctors and they sent me in the right direction to talk to somebody.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I watched this programme last night http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06mvx4j/professor-green-suicide-and-me

The message contained within it is crucial.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have you bought a new 650b bike and now wondering why you can’t actually tell the difference from your old 26″? No need to worry as im sure its very common.

jimmy

Spit it out. Even typing out your thoughts will help. Post it up if you feel like it, someone will be up for a pint and chat if you say where you are. You’re not alone, that’s for sure.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Type it up or write it down then tear it up?

Everyone has a tough time, you’re not alone so don’t be too hard on yourself.

Met one guy who drove to my town, got a hotel room and came into my local pub to drown his sorrows and told me of his Mother’s death and spiralling funeral costs but he cheered up after a pint.

Good luck O.P. hope you’re ok.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

You don’t need a Dr referral to see a counsellor. I had many issues over the years and am now a much better (calmer, more relaxed, less stressed) person thanks to lots of counselling. There are lots on here have have been through it all as well so don’t be afraid to shout!

scotroutes

Is this because of the Phil Collins thread?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s easier to speak to someone you don’t know be that a professional or just mates you’ve made on here as there isn’t the emotional involvement or worry of being judged in one way or another. BUT never underestimate the value of speaking to those closest too you. Yes it can be more difficult and really awkward to open up to them, but it’s those that are closest too you that have the biggest interest in you being happy and well, and don’t assume you know how they will react – more often than not they will surprise you with their understanding and compassion – that’s why they’re around you in the first place

wrightyson
    Free Member

Here is a good place .
    One thread that always sticks in my mind is from maybe a year ago, a guy was very close to the edge, as in suicide. The amount of compassion and care from basically strangers was amazing. People checking in and posting at all hours.
    I’m sure someone could post a link to it.

augustuswindsock

Has it just come on Ashley, or have you been feeling like this for a while? We all feel down from time to time, nothing wrong with asking for help, please go and see your GP. But start by writing some stuff on here for now, we’re all here for you!

augustuswindsock

Yeah wrighty, that was my nephew, support was incredible!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Stick it up on here mate; I have done lots of times in the past when friends/family aren’t around. Always get a good response 😉 Nice getting stuff off your chest. Have a chat with a mate though, always helps. I was struggling a bit on Monday TBF, a few texts and quick chat and she pretty much sorted me. That’s all it took.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Augustus, hope he’s doing well.

divenwob
    Free Member

You have made the first move Ashley. 🙂

augustuswindsock

He is wrighty, really turned himself around, I’m sure you can as well Ashley, he’s pleased he didn’t do something daft whilst in a dark place!

bigblackshed

Spit it out. I’ll guarantee that someone on here has felt similar and has advice to give.

I’ve been through the wringer a few times, a counceller helped, but you need to talk to your other half. You’re not a failure, you just need her to help you out for a bit until you’re ready to pick things up again.

deepreddave
    Free Member

ivnickkate – Member

Someone on here is bound to be near you, I’m in Peebles if that helps and can go a cycle and a chat right now.

Well done that man, quality offer.

To the OP, as people have said above, share here or elsewhere but make sure you do talk it out.

jamj1974

Ashley, most of us have felt like that at some time. I know how supportive people here can be. If you can write about it, I know we will listen.

If you need to talk to a person – give Samaritans a call. They will listen and they won’t judge.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ashley, good for you for coming in here in the first place, but please (if I may say that) phone the Samaritans * now or see a doctor tomorrow.

Talking is very important

* Mrs THM is a volunteer at the Samartitans – I can assure you that nothing ever gets passed on. NOTHING. So you are talking in compete confidence to people who are experts is listening. Call them.

brooess
    Free Member

You’re a long long way from being alone if you’re feeling down right now… I suspect it’s far more prevalent than we really know – 2008 and the lack of real recovery has been a hell of a shock IMO…

Either way – there’s always loads of support on here when people need it…

Also, you have your GP and you have Samaritans. I got so stressed by my job in 2006 that I went to my doc for help. Didn’t feel I could speak to anyone else. He was ace and put me back on track. I can highly recommend CBT/therapy if it’s a long-standing problem, it can transform how you feel about yourself…

Good luck, takes balls to admit you have a problem

miketually
    Free Member

As above, Samaritans and/or your GP. A referral for CBTfrom my GP helped me a little, but just acknowledging the was an issue was the biggest thing, along with realising that others felt the same way.

bensales
    Free Member

I found a professional was the best person to speak to. And joining a running club.

In hindsight the CBT fees were less than the race fees the latter sparked, but they both worked. I’d recommend the former first.

gordimhor

Lot of good advice on here already. Talk to someone. Don’t be worried or embarrassed about going to a counsellor I did and it helped.

augustuswindsock

Give us all a shout to let us know you’re OK Ashley

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Wow, cheers guys. Nowt to do with buying a 650b.

It’s been going on a while, and it feels petty compared to some of the things I have read on here.

I guess commuting for an hour each way a day gives you too much time to think.

binners

When I’m feeling like this, I head down to the local park with a bottle of white cider. Take 2 bottles and you’ll have no end of new friends prepared to listen to you. And they’ll also freely dispense their own wisdom in return.

Then you can all shout at buses. Never underestimate the therapeutic effects of shouting at buses.

On a serious note, if you need to talk, drop me an email. I’m sure anyone on this thread would make the same offer. Theres some great people on here.

I’ve been borderline suicidaly depressed a few years back. I despised myself, and felt a total failure. I got through it with the help of some great people (you know who you are), and now, a few years down the line, I have honestly never been happier. I could never have seen that from the dark place I was in back there, though.

Life is ****ing brilliant. Its just that sometimes you need to take a step back to appreciate it. And that not always easy

bubs

Use that hour commute to do some headspace/mindfulness rather than stewing on things?

MoreCashThanDash

I was in same place in the summer, lots of relatively small issues piled up and got out of control in my head. Seemed nothing compared to what some go through, felt stupid and a failure.

Some useful posts on here, excellent help from GP, local mental health team and also employers. In a much better place now. It will get better, best thing you can do is start talking about, you’ve taken that hard first step already.

See some of my posts around June and July time. If you need to talk/ride/drink and are near Derby, email me, email in profile.

scaredypants

Camberley? – only an hour or so drive for me

I’m working at home today, and have a bad hand so can’t ride and I’m actually working 😯

If you need a chat & a beer or a cup of tea, I’m in.
    Maybe you could tell me how to deal with my eldest daughter while we’re on – that’d be you doing something REALLY useful

project
    Free Member

Everyone of us in some part of their life has felt the same, someone has listened and just listened, nothing else, some offered advice to us, some laughed at us,if it was funny or possibly not funny to us but it was to them, but in the end we all felt better for talking and just having someone listening.

Everyone of will listen, and we will all probably have our own take on your problems, but we will LISTEN,give it a try.

milkyman
    Free Member

I don’t know if this will help, but I packed in my job last week which I had been doing for 6 years permeant nights, I hated it at the end, I also had a lot of thoughts going through my head most of them negative I really wasn’t in a good place and felt like I couldn’t talk to any one, my mum just didn’t listen, my dad couldn’t care less, lots of things, any way I went to see a councillor on Monday just gone, I went with the opinion what a load of rubbish and came away with a totally new out look on things, it really was a revelation for me, not sure its for every one but it was for me, actually talking to a stranger with my voice rather than typing really helped me, best of luck with it

Bunnyhop

Ashley- thats typical of someone that needs help to think that their problems are petty.
    Your problems are not petty and you’ve made the first step by admitting something is wrong.

I find a good cry helps (I’m a women though and men don’t seem to do this).

Don’t keep this bottled up. Also just try telling your wife. I feel she will end up being very supportive.

Good luck.

Coyote
    Free Member

Hi. Lots of folk on here have helped me with numerous things over the years. It’s the beauty of the place, there’s always an expert on something.

Don’t think it’s petty. It’s clearly affecting you so it’s not petty.

I find a good cry helps (I’m a women though and men don’t seem to do this).

I beg to disagree young miss! I am very manly and often find that a good sob works wonders.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Who can I talk to when it feels like there's no one to talk to?’ is closed to new replies.