Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Who are you buying your brake pads from at the moment?
  • Harry_the_Spider

My stash has run dry.

Who are you getting your sintered pads from at the moment?

binners

Superstar Kevlars are where its at Homey! BOOM!!!!

Cheap as chips for 4 sets

Harry_the_Spider

Kevlar eh? Do they last in our neck of the woods?

squoglybob
    Free Member

Just ordered two pairs from CRC only because I know they can deliver by Friday as I’m off to the Alps and I kind of forgot I’d got none

Lester
    Free Member

marshalls cycles welwyn and Contour cycles stevenage

rondo101
    Free Member

bikediscount.de for shimano. I don’t use third party pads, regardless of whether they’ve fixed the de-bonding issue.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-disc-brake-pads-g01a-resin-53981

binners

Kevlar eh? Do they last in our neck of the woods?

In summer they’re great. Very…erm… stoppy! In the winter, you’ll be lucky to make it to the end of the road before they’re down to the metal.

Harry_the_Spider

In summer they’re great. Very…erm… stoppy! In the winter, you’ll be lucky to make it to the end of the road before they’re down to the metal.

Awesome. Sintered it is then.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

+1 for shimano from de, may not have the stopping power of the ss’s but they last much longer, don’t crumble and most importantly for me they don’t announce your presence on cheeky trails from miles away by squeaking like a banshee

squoglybob
    Free Member

The none branded ones I bought a few months back made it up Jacobs ladder “I pushed” but then disappeared into the trail somewhere before getting to the nice bit of Kinder. ‘Twas a long way back to the car in the Peaks on only one brake.

jossrennocks
    Free Member

Uberbike Race matrix.

Nothing else for me to say really.

Harry_the_Spider

Ah… Just checked… The new bike has those fancy Shimano integrated cooling fin jobbies. This could get a bit spendy.

Tracey

We are all on XT Uberbike Race matrix, been using them for a couple of years with no problems

MSP

Ah… Just checked… The new bike has those fancy Shimano integrated cooling fin jobbies. This could get a bit spendy.

You don’t need the cooling fins, in fact I have found that http://www.rahoxbrakes.com pads work better than the original pads on my xtr brakes, and brake authority ceramic are far superior on my saints (although also quite expensive).

hopkinsgm

Uberbike do finned now – with the finned bit being a separate part so you only replace the actual pad bit. They’re a bit more fiddly to fit as 5 elements (finned plate/pad/spring/pad/finned plate) to align and get the retaining pin through rather than 3 (finned pad/spring/finned pad), but having run a set with race matrix pads in Zees on the rowdy hardtail at the weekend initial reaction is positive.

Harry_the_Spider

Interesting… the stash that has run out were from Uberbike.

Thanks.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Superstar – 25% off at the moment with JULY25 discount code.

Kevlar FTW

raisinhat
    Free Member

I persevered with superstar kevlar for ages just because of how cheap they were, but finally went back to shimano sintered pads and they’ve been so much better. Last much longer and don’t have a hideous constant squeal no matter what the conditions are. More expensive, but I think its probably worth it because their lifespan is a lot longer.

I tried uberbike ones as well and found that in the alps the heat got rid of the noise, but they glazed immediately and then never had any bite to them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Uberbike sintered squealed like buggery and lost power on Spanish bike hol this year, really bad – Mate had some Clarkes organics with him, gave me a set – what a difference. Even back home in the mud and wet they are excellent.

4 quid odd a pair, win win.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Second for Rahox for ultimate stopping.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

wot Binners said…
    SS kevlar are great on dusty trails. Two sets lasted me for a week of uplifted riding in Garda. I had more than 50% left on the second set when I got back to the UK.
    …BUT…
    That remaining 50% was gone within half an hour in Calderdale grit & slop.!!!

Great in the dry.
    Useless in local grinding paste.

Only Sintered seems to last.
    Recently been using the race matrix pads and they seem to be lasting better than the SS kevlars but they haven’t had a proper prolonged gritty “eat your pads and drivetrain” test yet.

cp

I use Superstar Kevlar in dry peak district or damp anywhere else

I use superstar Sintered in peak district damp or wet anywhere else

As above, 25%off braking bits with the code on SS homepage.

brassneck

Any ideas which pad TRP HYRD callipers require? (For Superstar, been good for me in the past)

cardo

+1 for Uberbike Race Matrix..Powerful and no squealing, very impressed, first Alps trip on only a single set of pads, the fronts would probably of lasted another week!

andy4d

I use kevlar from disco brakes, and they last me fine in summer. Less noise than sintered.

matt_outandabout

I needed a set today,having had a pad fall apart on sons bike yesterday.

Halfrauds lived upto thier name, wanting £21 for a set of Shimano pads…I went to walk out and the price came down to a (slightly) more palatable £12.

I have been trying to buy pads at my LBS’s of late – one never has them in (tried three times), one charges £16. No wonder online does well for some things…

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I am enjoying Disco pads at the moment and using their Kevlar pads. Seem to have plenty of bite and moreso than the Zee shimano finned pads , which seemed average or the Uber matrix which required throwing the anchor as didn’t seem to work on a set of Zee’s or Avids, which I tried, even with Uber floating discs.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Who are you buying your brake pads from at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.