Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • who are the nutters who put sticks across woodland trails?
  • Gooner
    Free Member

while out yesterday (Ringhay woods near Micklefield) i was amazed at the amout of sticks across the trails. Some were large but many were very small.

Who does this and why?

have you ever come across anyone doing it and if so what you said to them?

i am guessing it’s the red sock brigade but can’t understand it really

shedbrewed
    Free Member

On the bridleways near me I think it’s the horsey riders as an obstacle for the horses, get them used to picking their feet up. It’s annoying.
    Almost as annoying as trees being felled and placed so you struggle to get by.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Redsock, wool jumper, bobble hat wearing miserable people

gazc
    Free Member

happens often where i ride, they make good bunny hop practice! if big i just move them off the trail and carry on, not worth getting worked up about imo

Scamper
    Free Member

The ellusive Stickman on Cannock Chase.

McHamish
    Free Member

confused beavers.

khani
    Free Member

Horse riders near me, one tried to shout at me when I threw it off to the edge, I took a photo of him with my phone and said I’d be reporting him for deliberately blocking a bridleway,
    He called me a **** and rode off sharpish 😆
    I met him again a few weeks later and asked him if he wanted to get off his horse and repeat what he said
    He didn’t………

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Take a shovel and put a loads of soil behind the bigger ones, make nice little kickers.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

confused beavers.

Thank you for the mental image that created for me.

brooess
    Free Member

Secret skills coaches offering stealth bunnyhop practice

scu98rkr
    Free Member

To be honest I’m sure alot of them are just a natural occurrence.

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s true the Stickman has a lot to answer for but more than once I have seen dogs dragging branches/logs/sticks and then they drop them.

The ones that have been deliberately placed need to be treated with the contempt they deserve – ride over the small ones and carelessly hop the bigger ones. It is quite satisfying to see the number of other riders who think the same way and in a few days the sticks are broken in two with a tyre track through the middle.

woody2000

Wind + dead wood = sticks on the trail. Occam’s razor FTW

scruff
    Free Member

Cannock Chase Stikman gets extra points for ones at head height rammed between 2 trees, found whilst on a night ride. Further accreditation is awarded for hammering nails into exposed tree roots and clipping the heads off to leave lots of nice metal points sticking up. A nice touch.

cookeaa

:shakes fist: That bloody Occam!!!

gusamc
    Free Member

I get it quite a lot from the horsey brigade (who I get on with well apart from woman with large pointer that chased after me at full tilt barking – I had words with her, a few of them limited to 4 letters)

Mind you
    “while out yesterday (X) i was amazed at the amout of illegal tracks across the trails. Some were large but many were very small.

Who does this and why?

have you ever come across anyone doing it and if so what you said to them?

i am guessing it’s the red lycra brigade but can’t understand it really ”

rewski
    Free Member

Happened to me last week in Marden Park near Woldingham, they were strategically place on steep tight bends, some were definitely a two person lift, or I’m a wimp. Anyway, I assumed it was walkers that may have been given a scare from riders not slowing down or being inconsiderate, no excuse though. Let’s all try and behave, slow down, say hello and just respect each other and the environment. Peace

carlphillips
    Free Member

down here in plymski we have an ex FC volunteer who takes great delight in dragging all manner of debris across any tracks he finds..this is pretty annoying and dangerous, we know its him as he told us he does it.
    he even aggresively shouted at my mrs and julian wilson’s mrs for riding on a trail that was close to deer and they would be scaring them, which considering he always has a collie dog and a alaskan mamalut off the leads and roaming pretty much where they want to go is a bit of a pith take. (dogs are to be kept on leads in our forest due to the dreaded fungal spores).
    dog walkers and wind fall all resonsible too

thepodge
    Free Member

in Wharncliffe its the forester and in Melbourne it was kids.

McHamish
    Free Member

Thank you for the mental image that created for me.

mysterymove
    Free Member

And what is it about mud, horrible stuff means i have to wash everything when i get home and it’s slippery so a fall off – who ever puts that on trails should be strung up 🙄

carlphillips
    Free Member

mm i think you may be missing the point..the type and volume of stuff our logman puts down means that, that trail is destroyed and end of yet another trail on our already limited riding.
    its not just a few twigs you can hop over!

julianwilson
    Free Member

woody2000 – Member

what does: “sticks all perpendicular to trail” equal?

Perpendicular (ie walker-‘induced’) logs, like perpendicular roots, are far easier to ride over when its wet, whereas random windfall is not so.

I’ve seen our log man a few times in Cann Wood lately, *waves* but no new loggage. The other day mrs julian rode past him straight into some proper cheeky trail and in contrast to dog/shout nonsense last time she met him, he didn’t say a word this time.

MrSparkle

There’s a Stickman near us, placing sticks and large branches across footpaths. Without getting back into that whole can of worms (there aren’t many bridleways near us) this clown is putting obstacles that actually stop people walking on the flipping paths.
    There’s an offshoot of Stickman over Rivington way. Its …. Dry Stone Wall Man. This delightful creature must spend hours pulling down bits of the farmers walls to build mini walls across the track thus achieving the effect of pissing off bikers, walkers, the farmer and, er, God (possibly).
    Going back to the orginal point though haow many have actually seen anyone doing it? I know I haven’t.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

piedi di formaggio – Member
    Redsock, wool jumper, bobble hat wearing miserable people

You forgot ‘ with silly ski poles’, today’s human being can’t walk without them. 😉

Scamper
    Free Member

Not sure anyone has caught Cannock Stickman. Been more sightings of the werewolf.

Beagleboy

Up my way it’s bike riders who’ve been laying sticks down on the trail! They’ve built chuffing great jumps over the original track and laid logs across it to prevent anyone getting in their way. Grrr! Young whipper snappers. Baggy trousered, Stormtrooper armoured louts the lot of em’.

Might have to slip a saw into my pack and start doing my own ‘trail improvements’. 😈

B. 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

Top tip, carry a small saw, to deal with windfall or sabotage. If you can’t cut something itself you can often cut a lever from some other bits of wood to move things. I’ve moved some pretty hefty logs on my own this way.

No need to tar all walkers with the same brush as above – I enjoy a good ramble, and have a walking pole 😳

steveoath
    Free Member

One of these should sort ’em out…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the only person I have seen trip over and fall down a hill was using walking poles…

Waderider
    Free Member

One of these should sort ’em out…

Can’t see how disorganised shelving would help myself.

nacho
    Free Member

Happens a lot in certain parts of Woodbury, we think it’s dog walkers. It’s always in the same small area. Small ones we can hop or build kickers to get over but they then drag huge ones and put them at the bottom of drop offs etc to ruin the flow 🙁
    I wouldn’t mind so much but they do it on trials that are only there as bikers built them!!!!

ventanarider
    Free Member

you ought to try woburn. It seems to be a full time job for someone up there laying branches and logs over the trails.

One of our riders (showerman) said “that isn’t going to stop me” promptly followed by flying OTB

Waderider
    Free Member

If dog walkers are making your trails less attractive I say take the war to them.

Human jobbies in the middle of the trail may be a good starter for ten.

(This post is not serious).

As an after thought though, if you were really determined you could collect dog poo on a wee spade and arrange it in piles about where they step out of there cars.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Alternately, over here in Aus it’s all windfall stuff. Some pretty big stuff mind, and trails end up going round them unless a ranger gets in there. But not had any malicious trail damage that I can recall.

One is always cautious of overly regular sized sticks mind, lest they have a mouth and poisonous fangs at one end – always better to be the first person in the group when riding…

Junkyard
    Free Member

never seen dry stone wall man – who does it on footpaths- but have seen his work
    More worryongly he has also put wooden planks with nails sticking upwards into the mud and hidden in undergrowth or at the side of blockades – utterly dangerous nutter
    Lowey found some of these and pooste dn here as well as his blog

Whitish
    Free Member

in Wharncliffe its the forester

Never experienced any of this there myself (and I’m there quite a bit!)

Although that’s as famous last words as it gets I suppose…

chunkypaul
    Free Member

was out around south delamere last night and someone (within the last week) had dragged an entire dead tree – only a small one mind (4-5m long) across the trail

noticed plenty of dog walkers around that part of the forest last week, but that tree completely blocked all users from using that track

quick stop and two minutes later and the trail was cleared and biking resumed 😀

why? because some people are cocks

devs
    Free Member

A lot of perpendicular to the trail sticks are the work of those 4 legged trail vandals! Dogs carry branches and logs like that and then just drop them. Of course the big ones are down to the work of potential punchbags.

glenp
    Free Member

Most of it here, happily, is more an annoyance than a danger. But some of the stick putters seem to have realised that branches on a diagonal are more irritating than perpendicular ones. Even so, if they’re a few inches or less thick you can still just ride over them, r deal with in whatever way you fancy.

Ironically, my main objection is for walking – it just makes the paths much more annoying to walk on, screws up the aesthetic of a meandering woodland track and – most importantly are a bloody hazard when you walk in the dark. I realise that I’m probably the only one that actually walks through the woods in the pitch, but boy does it screw things up when you trip over something that isn’t supposed to be there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘who are the nutters who put sticks across woodland trails?’ is closed to new replies.