Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Who always rides with some form of personal ID?
  • zangolin
    Free Member

With the obvious cycling incident up in the Lakes today it brings home how important it is to have some sort of personal ID when out riding solo.

I know it's a personal choice etc, + maybe it's patronising but make sure you get some + carry it with you. If not for yourself then for family friends etc.

In fact on the subject of solo off-road riding in remote places or forests/woodland always carry a perry whistle.

Road ID is a good source. I have dog tag for cycling + wrist id for running.

Kramer
    Free Member

I always have my debit card on me. Just in case I pass a bike shop.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don't carry any id.
    It's worked so far, and the odds are it will carry on working 🙂

SeanOrange
    Free Member

I always carry my phone. As good as ID IMO.

Lummox

my phone has an ICE number on it

In Case of emergency then name of person eg ICE Girlfriend

It's a good check and one i believe the ambulance service/police will look for

Drac

It's a good check and one i believe the ambulance service/police will look for

Don't kid yourself.

I very rarely ride alone.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+1 for Road ID – I have to admit it's an important part of my kit and I'd turn back if I got to the end of the road without any ID and was off on a solo ride (as most of my rides are).

In addition to family contact details, the Road ID wristband has the avantage of having my medical info on as well.

jonb
    Free Member

Normally a phone and wallet or debit card. Both pretty useful even if it means you can buy an icecream or phone the other half to say you'll be late home.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Ditto Jonb

Kramer
    Free Member

Always have a phone on me.

Kuco

Road id when I run or cycle alone.

brant
    Free Member

I have a sort of sick fascination in hoping to one day twitter that I've fallen off and need help.

Drac

With a link to google maps of where you are?

IHN

Don't kid yourself.

That's disappointing. I seem to remember there was a campaign backed by the police/emergency services to get folks to add an ICE number into their phone.

ajf
    Free Member

I always carry my phone. As good as ID IMO.

I always carry a phone when I go solo up into the hills running for a couple of days and told the wife thats my emergency ID. Same with biking.

She just replied "so what happens when you break your phone when you fall?"

As someone who was there at the scene at the incident in the Lakes it has got me thinking about buying some proper ID as I think my wifes right. A phone can break. Proper ID won't.

There was a similar incident with Steve Cram's brother, who fell and died after cracking his skull when he fell. None of the family could find him for two days.

aracer
    Free Member

I almost always ride alone (on or off road). Never carry ID. Don't always even carry a mobile.

<shrug> Don't have any particular medical issues or allergies, common blood group, fairly sure I will be missed, very confident the medical services will do whatever is needed without needing consent if I'm so out of it I can't give consent myself.

ajf
    Free Member

<shrug> Don't have any particular medical issues or allergies, common blood group, fairly sure I will be missed, very confident the medical services will do whatever is needed without needing consent if I'm so out of it I can't give consent myself.

The point is its not for you. Its for your family and loved ones to know as soon as possible.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Since I was deliberately run down riding to work, I now always wear a set of dogtags with my details (including allergies) and my next of Kin details.
    Probably a little morbid, but vital in my opinion.

druidh
    Free Member

Something I never think about. I rarely carry a wallet and am more likely to have £10 tucked away in a saddlebag or "camelback". I guess I've usually got a phone with me though.

As a motorcyclist, I used to have my blood group sewn onto my leathers, but then I was told that the emergency services would never assume that was correct as they could have been borrowed.

Oggles
    Free Member

I've got an ICE number in my phone, which I try to always carry (but sometimes forget). Usually ride in club kit so that would help I suppose. I think the RoadID is a good idea and am tempted to pick one up.

Oggles
    Free Member

Might just get a long gold chain with a very small tag engraved with a contact number to hang out of my open jersey. Then I can pretend I'm a tour rider, AND be safe.

Drac

That's disappointing. I seem to remember there was a campaign backed by the police/emergency services to get folks to add an ICE number into their phone.

Yup big campaign few years ago now so drifts away a bit but most people look for 'Home' or parents tags i.e. 'Dad' in the mobile safer bet.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

I always have my phone and a marked ICE number.

miketually
    Free Member

My Giro helmet came with a little sticker for writing name, address, etc. and sticking inside. I also always have a wallet, phone, etc.

Denno17
    Free Member

I use Utag dog tags all your medical info on a impact resistant usb stick and a spare dog tag to engrave.

http://www.digitaldogtag.co.uk/

roper
    Free Member

I always have medical card,bank card, helicopter rescue card and ID with me. Stuffed in a sandwich bag they don't take up much space.

franksinatra

I have N.O,K, phone number, address, blood group, allergies and choice of breakfast all tattoo'd onto my left buttock.

Seriously though, why spend monry on tags and stuff. A debit card in the pocket, phone number in the helmet or a late back procedure will all work.
    Don't need to over complicate things

allyharp

Generally speaking I carry a wallet unless I'm riding from home, even then I always have a phone.

higgo
    Free Member

When I'm riding I've nearly always got a phone, bank card etc on me that would be a big help in identifying me. When I'm running alone though I carry as little as possible so wouldn't have anything that would help ID me.

There was a similar incident with Steve Cram's brother, who fell and died after cracking his skull when he fell. None of the family could find him for two days.

As a result Steve Cram launched and promoted the 'CramTag' system, ID for runners. I did have one but after a while it became too much of a faff to swap it between running shoes. I don't even know where it is now and I'm back to running alone without ID.

AndyP
    Free Member

no ID, no phone. Cash in pocket.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I usually ride alone, and carry my phone and wallet. Wallet has credit cards, business cards and various club membership cards all of which would identify me.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I too use Road ID with my name, DOB, two ICE numbers and allergies, which are Penicillin and Diclofenac, so quite important that any medics know this as i become quite ill if I have any of these. Have the wrist band on whenever I go out, whether i'm on my bike or car. Recommend them to everyone. Delivery only takes about a week from the US.

hora
    Free Member

You should always carry a phone with you regardless if its road or trail. Imagine you have a major mechanical out on the roads. What are you going to do?! At least a phone you can blag a mate or taxi etc. I have my driving licence otherwise.

AndyP
    Free Member

You should always carry a phone with you regardless if its road or trail
    I don't have a phone extension lead long enough

AdamM
    Free Member

Always have my drivers licence and phone with me for any ride, no matter how short. As above, the ID is so your family can be contacted rather than for yourself. Even more important if you have allergies relevant to any potential treatment, as noted above.

You could just write all this stuff on a piece of card and leave it in your camelbak inside a ziplock bag, cheap, cheerful and always there.

AdamM
    Free Member

I use Utag dog tags all your medical info on a impact resistant usb stick and a spare dog tag to engrave.

Is it just me or is this Utag thing just overcomplicating everything and slightly missing the point? I can't imagine that an ambulance person is going to look at the contents of a memory stick to check for allergies, etc, whereas they might look at an engraved dogtag type thing.

firestarter
    Free Member

i have my keys in my saddle bag or pack. And on it have a tag with my name and nok details. I made it at the local pet shop as they have a machine for engraving pet collar tags only cost two quid too 🙂 and you can even have it in the shape of a bone if you wish 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

You should always carry a phone with you regardless if its road or trail.

Good grief.

Google
    Free Member

Weirdly enough i noticed a sticker on the inside of my helmet the other day. I dont remember fillingit out, but at some point I must have.
    Has my name, bllod type, emergency contact and a space for allergy info.
    Very sensible I thought.

Shame its in the helmet I dont use very often.

nuke

Road ID is a good source.

These look pretty good from havinga peek at their webiste but is there a UK based version as it looks like it could take a while to be delivered from the US?

You should always carry a phone with you regardless if its road or trail.

I always carry a phone…mostly for the fact it has a camera and I can take ride photos with it. No ID. Still having fallen off yesterday combined with the realisation that network coverage on the Surrey Hills is pretty poor, suppose it would make sense to carry some ID.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Who always rides with some form of personal ID?’ is closed to new replies.