Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Who actually wants to go 10 speed?
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

It's just going to cost money and be fiddly for little benefit isn't it?

Emporers new clothes anybody?

clubber
    Free Member

I'll consider it when I need a new cassette/chain. Can't really see an issue.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Go nice with my Hammerschmidt.

Does my coat look nice to you 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

i really don't mind if other people do or don't.

but i would very much appreciate the option of buying a chunky 2×5 system – one that still worked after going a bit rusty from being left in the cellar for a few days.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd like to do it. 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

TBH, I was more than happy with 7 speed. The kit was better quality, lasted longer and worked fine. Certain innovations such as v-brakes and discs have been good, but gear systems have got flimsier and more fragile as more cogs have been added.

ryan_c

If i deem the cassette to have a wide enough of possible ratios i wouldn't mind 1×10, but theres very little stopping me going 1×9 at the mo but i still don't!

I'll wait to see where mountain biking fasion and fads are when my current gear wears out 8)

ibis
    Free Member

Must have it!!!!!
    You wont be albe to rde without it!
    God knows haow we have managed so far without it!
    (waves willy to others that only have 9spds at the trail centres)!
    Rides around car park and goes home to clean mud off rear tyre where he rode on grass by mistake.

scaredypants

nope, but I'm not a "proper" rider

on the road, I almost always shift at least 2 gears as I can't tell a useful difference between adjacent ones

reckon I'd be happy with 1×9 11 to 36

Onzadog
    Free Member

I only went 9 speed about 18 months ago when I could no longer get high end parts in 8 speed. I think the same will happen again this time. I'll stick 9 sp[eed until I can no longer get the level of equipement I want.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I've used 1×9 for years and its fine for all the stuff i do. I guess an extra gear in there somewhere would be a benefit, but I dislike spending money on bike bits and i imagine it will wear out quicker so i wont bother.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Rides around car park and goes home to clean mud off rear tyre where he rode on grass by mistake.

😆

It's funny because it's true Marge…

clubber
    Free Member

but gear systems have got flimsier and more fragile as more cogs have been added.

People keep saying this but I've just never seen it on my or other peoples' bikes – at least going back as far as when 8 speed came out and people all said that wheels would constantly break (less dish) and then 9 speed when everyone said it would clog in the mud and wear out in two laps of the car park. None of these have happened.

Talkemada
    Free Member

7-speed cogs and chains etc lasted me longer than 9-speed stuff does. Just simple observation based on experience of using stuff. Nowt scientific.

falkirk-mark

I think its just like quattro razors and triple glazing, all the marketing B/S to sell you summit you really do not need or get any real benefit from. IMO

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not me, still on 8s, but it's "must have" for some.

Mackem

I'd rather have a 10-speed hub gear.

I agree with Talkamalda, stuff doesnt last nowadays.

glenh
    Free Member

Not me.

Rickos
    Free Member

I'll switch my 1×9 to 1×10 when it wears out, just for the extra range in the top (fast) gears.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I almost always shift at least 2 gears as I can't tell a useful difference between adjacent ones

same here

ahwiles
    Free Member

how many people on here are riding round with 9 speed systems that aren't so much:

'1 click 1 glear'

and a bit more

'1 click, RATTLE, nudge, RATTLE, nudge, 2 gears, back off one, nudge, 1 gear, rattle, fnck it that'll do…'

down with this sort of thing.

tron
    Free Member

I like the idea of 2×10. Should make front mechs easier to set up, which is a job I loathe, whilst providing a decent range of gears.

That said, I'll have to wear out my entire 9 speed drivetrain before I think about swapping!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't want to particularly but I daresay I'll get there eventually.

oldgit
    Free Member

This is going to go on and on, there was a mahoosive thread about Shimano and XX.
    I've decided that for me it will depend on the quality of shifting, and further to that it's only about three gears where this really matters in racing. 10 speed road is far smoother than 9 so I can see myself changing.
    The big Q is if to go 3×10 or 2x10XX.

@clubber
    you'll need new mech and shifters as well.

uplink
    Free Member

I can't really see any end user benefiting from it more than – say – another half a dozen shopping channels on Sky

tinsy
    Free Member

I will when I have too, but its an expensive change just for the closer ratio when you figure in the new mech, and rear shifter too.. will probably stick with 9 speed for a while.

Or will a 10 speed shifter run a 9 speed mech fine across the new cassettes?

MrBlond
    Free Member

I know some roadies that'll be *really* excited about this – MTB cassettes to get a very low gear on their 10 speed stuff while maintaining the veneer of double / compact respectability…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Mr Blond- that's sadly very true!

I'll be going 10speed as soon as the Shimano stuff appears.

clubber
    Free Member

tinsy – it won't need a new rear mech.

soobalias
    Free Member

ive not really looked, what range can we expect on a cassette.

as above i'd happily go to 2×5 so long as i keep my 22/32 and 36/11 gears.

VanHalen

9 speed was pointless and now 10 speed is even more pointless.

less is more i recon.

i`ve an old casette so i might experiment with gear ratios.

what diameter pipe do i need as a spacer?

hilldodger
    Free Member

I won't be happy until my shifter 'goes to 11' 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

Clubber, thanks, then I guess at some stage I will swap to 10 but I wont break my neck about it right now.

To really get the benefit of it it seems you would need the 10 specific rings at the front so for me its definately a wait until the whole lot of kit on my bike has had it…

Will be an expensive change, on the cheap it will need a RH shifter new chain and cassette, to do it properly to get the most out of it will involve a new crankset, and at that point you might as well have everything bar the front/rear mech!!!! So not much change out of what, maybe £300 to swap to 10 speed?
    And then its a toss up as to wether to do a Sram and drop to 2×10 rather than Shimano's close ratio 3×10.

nickc

but gear systems have got flimsier and more fragile as more cogs have been added.

I'm with clubber on this, IME this isn't true at all, my 9 speed stuff is fine, maybe once or twice in the deepest depths of winter the 11t or 12t get clogged, no biggie, haven't noticed a particular increase in wear or set up hassles either, in fact I'd say Shimano stuff now is easier to set than it used to be. I'm intrigued by 2×10, I'd want to have a go on it before splashing the cash though, and like normal, I'll wait for a year or so to make sure it works.

Did do 2×9 for a while with a Middleburn duo, couple of things I noticed, Duo chainsets are pretty bendy, and you tend to chase the ratios a bit, and each change from big to "middle" was a bit of change-a-thon, but that was again a ratio issue. If those are sorted out, then can't see that 2×10 wouldn't be OK for most folk..

njee20
    Free Member

I've done it already, it's pretty good, not gonna change your life though!

tinsy
    Free Member

nickc Shimano is still a triple up front, at least for XT/SLX it is.. Of course for even more outlay you can run the Sram size rings on the Shimano kit….

clubber
    Free Member

No new chainset needed – SRAM XX does shift amazingly well but that's the only 'advantage' and it's not like current stuff shifts badly at the front. It's perfectly compatible otherwise so 10 speed 'upgrade' will require a cassette, chain and shifter. Assuming that you do it when you're replacing a worn out cassette and chain anyway, that leaves only the shifter cost which since SLX will be going 10 speed, isn't going to be prohibitively expensive.

nickc

I'd imagine though tinsy, that Shimano will do a double chainset, wouldn't you?

not gonna change your life though!

njee20 has it, I think. In a couple of years we'll all wonder what the fuss was about, like the change from 7 to 8 to 9 etc etc

sofatester
    Free Member

Singlespeed anyone? 😉

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 has it, I think

Did you read who posted the comment you quoted? 😉

It will bring the idea of a double chainset to more people, if you were happy with 9 speed, 10 speed won't really change much, just as 7-8 and 8-9 didn't. IMO of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Who actually wants to go 10 speed?’ is closed to new replies.