Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • muddyfool

As nobody had said they were coming by the time I was due to leave work, I stayed to finish up a few things so I’m not going to be there either. I think that means this week is off so don’t rush to try to meet anyone, Scandal!

Fathomer: just to satisfy my curiosity are you fat homer, or someone who fathoms? 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Ok then people. Who is up for Saturday?

No worries if the answer is ‘no-one’, I’ll be going anyway!

Suggested meet is the layby on the A512 heading into Loughborough, just after you come off the M1 at J23. I think 8-15 am is a reasonable time(?)

Let me know if you want to come, if no one does, I’ll just blast straight up to the peaks.

Cheers.

muddyfool

I’m a definite no I’m afraid, the weekend has rapidly filled-up with various other commitments – shame as I’ve not been on my bike since last Saturday, still hoping to sneak a quick ride in at some point this weekend but it’s not looking good…

Enjoy the ride though!

fathomer

I’m a definite no as well due to having tickets at the Tigers. Probably going to head up Sunday on my own and do something around Hope/Edale.

muddyfool – Member
    Fathomer: just to satisfy my curiosity are you fat homer, or someone who fathoms?

I’ll be honest, it was originally fat homer, but it’s now someone that fathoms as it doesn’t make my sound like a five year old 😀

daftdom
    Free Member

Sorry Danny i have to work saturday and sunday this week. Have a good ride, the weather is supposed to be good too.

dannyh
    Free Member

No worries fellas. Looks like I’ll be solo-ing it, then.

On the plus side, the weather looks great, so I won’t miss you all too much!

See you next Wednesday?

scandal42
    Free Member

Let me know the next time you are out there, I’m desperate to try it.

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, I don’t want to make you all jealous (well perhaps just a bit).

I had a bonza ride in the Peaks today. Weather perfect, trails firm but a bit slick under the trees due to wet leaves starting to drop. Five climbs and five descents, all classics. Hagg Farm, Blackley Hey, Lockerbrook and Whinstone lee Tor in both directions. I was totally shot by the end.

I won’t be able to do an away day for a couple of weeks at least, but the next time I do, I’ll try to coax some of you along.

Good luck for the Viking tomorrow scandal.

See you Wednesday evening!

scandal42
    Free Member

Sounds fantastic, glad you had a great ride.

Sadly my day consisted of watching the mist boring game of football I have witnessed in a good while, in fact I spent most of the game thanking my old man for making miss the ride.

Anyway, had a cracking ride locally today and I’m desperate to get back out on Wednesday, so who’s game?

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m there!

Next away day not for a few weeks, I’ll be consulting the kitchen calendar over the next few days, subtly of course.

And yes, we do have a calendar with our names and social engagements on it in the kitchen. Sadly, my kids seem to have more of a social life than I do!

Anyhow, Wednesday at 7 it is.

rascal
    Free Member

Touch and go for me at the mo.
    New lights – check 🙂
    More pitches in work – check 🙁

Will take everything to work hoping I don’t get roped in.
    If I’m not there by 7.05 go without me – have fun you crazy kids.

dannyh
    Free Member

Try to play the ‘grey man’ at work. There, but not really noticeable!

Had to do some extra hours yesterday, and am going in earlyish tomorrow to make sure work can’t screw this up for me!

Hopefully see you there.

rascal
    Free Member

Doesn’t work like that here.
    A mugging is always imminent.

muddyfool

I should be able to make it but I’m not certain, so leave without me too if I’m not there by 5 past.

scandal42
    Free Member

Im going to be there, rob from t’other week should also be coming.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes, deffo for me too – goody two-shoes that I am means I have done all the work I need to before tomorrow, so away on time tonight.

See you there at 7pm

fathomer

I’m going to make tonight as well, without trawling the thread, I assume the new meet is in the pub car park?

scandal42
    Free Member

Depending on numbers I have a route idea.

dannyh
    Free Member

More than happy to be led this time!

dannyh
    Free Member

Good ride last night folks (five of us made it out).

We basically rode our legs off for two and a half hours (at least that’s what it felt like to me!) A good mix of trail riding and xc type hacking.

Only one over the bars, one failed light, one knackered brake pad spring and one snapped dropper cable to report – BTW that means the Bardon descent now has a 100% take-down rate, two rides, two crashes.

Here’s to next week…………

muddyfool

Yeah, really enjoyed last night. Legs are feeling it a little today but it looks like my trip to Snowdon tomorrow is probably off thanks to a combination of strong winds, fog and cowardice.

100% take-down rate

😳
    Luckily we also have a 100% record of landing on the soft bits and not the big rocks!

dannyh
    Free Member

Right then folks, I’m going to put a date ‘out there’ for a peaks ride.

How about the weekend of 9th / 10th November? Just a one dayer, no stopover or anything flash!

Multiple route choices, I’d be more than happy to do one of my faves. Either day will do at the moment, but if we could firm up on that in the next couple of weeks that would be great.

It has also been suggested that one of the Wednesday evening rides could be over this side of the NWL riders range. Perhaps Wednesday after next (23rd oct)?

Again I’d be more than happy to concoct a route for that.

Let me know what you think about the above ideas.

Cheers.

scandal42
    Free Member

Excellent, ill consult she who must be obeyed when I get in.

pryth
    Free Member

I think this is worthy of my first post. Both outings sound good to me. I will just go with the flow (unlike my riding skills!). Rob

scandal42
    Free Member

Saturday would be better for me, but Sunday not impossible.

She’s a good gal 😀

rascal
    Free Member

Count me in on both chaps!

muddyfool

Sounds good. I should be able to make both, and I’m fine with either the 9th or 10th.

Looks like it might be a wet ride this week!

dannyh
    Free Member

Wetter than an otter’s pocket methinks. Probably not the best time to be carving a rut through a nature reserve 😉

Still, more than enough good stuff to be had. 7pm at the Rag n Mop as usual – see you there.

My little local pootle yesterday was ‘moist’ to say the least, although the ground hasn’t given way yet, so there wasn’t much actual deep mud – just loads of puddles and the odd mini-stream where there usually isn’t one.

I’ve also had to manufacture a longer bender fender as cleaning my eyes out with cotton wool buds after the ride is not something I enjoy!

We can discuss next week’s ride starting near mine as well. I’ve got a few ideas – including a cracking start along a gun-barrel straight mud over hardpack path through six foot high maize stalks!

muddyfool

Or as Rob Warner put it recently, “wetter than a dolphin with a bladder infection” 🙂

Will be good to see some more trails over our side of the M1 actually – I know a few but I’m sure there’ll be some new ones. All bridleways of course!

The way the rain is today I think it’s not long until the proper mud starts unfortunately…

scandal42
    Free Member

I can report that there is a fair amount of proper mud in places in the woods.

scandal42
    Free Member

Also, quick question chaps.

If a frame has 135x10mm dropouts I take it I would need new wheels if they were 9mm quick release?

Or is there a way it can be done?

Cheers

dannyh
    Free Member

9mm qr should be fine in the bottom of a dropout for 10mm, shouldn’t it?

I might be talking bollox, though.

But surely it is the act of doing up the qr that compresses the frame against the locknuts (and their slightly serrated edges). This, I believe, is what holds the wheel in place rather than a tight fit inside the slot itself.

Might be bollox, rob used to work in a bike shop, he’ll know.

Can I please not be following you when you try this out for the first time, mind?

scandal42
    Free Member

😆

I did think that but just wanted to be sure, just thoughts rather than a real life issue at the moment so don’t expect my wheel to fall off just yet.

dannyh
    Free Member

Roll call for later then?

7pm in the Rag n Mop car park – wetsuit and snorkel optional.

I’ll be there.

scandal42
    Free Member

Currently trapped in the car due to a directionally confused hurricane.

Still hoping to be out.

phil56

But surely it is the act of doing up the qr that compresses the frame against the locknuts (and their slightly serrated edges). This, I believe, is what holds the wheel in place rather than a tight fit inside the slot itself.

Kind of – but you’ll need to make sure the wheel is square in the dropouts – I did this once and it’s surprising how much out of line the rim/tyre can be.

fathomer

Doubt I’m going to make it tonight, if I’m not there by 7.05pm don’t wait around, I’m still on site unfortunately 🙁

muddyfool

Meeting overran so still at work but I should be able to make it thanks to the 7pm start!

(I should start taking my bike to work I think, would increase my chances…)

muddyfool

Slight change of plan, I’m now stuck in the anstey co-op car park waiting for the AA. Guess that means I’ll be giving this week a miss! 🙁

rascal
    Free Member

I’ll be there.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.