Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’m in..er, out…I’ll be there. Just recovering from Happy Valley…any of you guys watching it?

asbrooks

I think I’m out for this week, I’ve picked up a twinge in my right knee. I don’t want to aggravate it.
    Have a good one gents…

scandal42
    Free Member

Yes Danny, I took the dog up on a scouting mission this evening, there are 2 rather techy options off the very top, both look challenging but possible.

There is a particular run I would like to try off to the right hand side of the woods, however its a bit of a maze now so will do my best to remember it.

Rest that knee up AB, from experience it is better to be safe when it comes to that particularly delicate region.

Caught a glimpse Rascal, will make an effort to watch it on catchup as it looked interesting, I think.

See you tomorrow

fatbob44

I will be there. Will try to bring some ‘Gnar’ if we are ‘sessioning some lines’

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Think I’m in, assuming there’s no trouble at t’mill.

Man with Compass this week innit? Looking forward to shredding some ill gnar

theglover
    Free Member

I should be there too. Black eye un’all.

asbrooks

I’m gutted about missing tonight, the weather is great, should be a good night.

scandal42
    Free Member

**** ****!!!!

Had a major issue with forks, currently sitting in garden defeated and downtrodden.

Won’t be there, sorry boys

dannyh
    Free Member

Good ride tonight folks, a bit stop-starty, but I contributed to that more than anyone else, so no complaints really.

Great condition, trails plasticine-like with just a hint of dust here and there. We decided on a sessioning/mincing approach and stuck to the woods to explore some new bits and also to repeat a few in sessioning mode.

Some lovely riding from Bob and Matt again, showing that uphill prowess on singlespeed is not a bar to technical skill. I was well chuffed to make it down one sketchy bit (at the second time of asking), but if you can’t risk a crash with five other riders around then when can you?

Wayne played the part of the unfortunate rider this week. We lost him for a good fifteen minutes, then he snapped his chain, then lost the power link when trying to fit it as the rear mech sprung it off into the undergrowth. As mechanicals go it was only matched by scandal destroying his forks ten minutes before he was due to leave the house. Joking aside, I have had episodes like that where a seemingly simple job escalates into a tailspin of broken parts or stripped threads or the like.

Good to see Jez back from his ‘soiled’ hotel room. He hasn’t specified whether it was already ‘soiled’ on his arrival, but I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

A big thanks to the local dog walkers as well, those trails might have been too dusty without the covering of dog shit gluing them together. In all seriousness I don’t think a fine is good enough. If caught they should be made to kneel over said hound mound and have their faces shoved in it. With a pistol to the back of the head if necessary.

So it’s on to next week for more thrills and spills, it seems everyone is scattering at the weekend with Llandegla, the lakes and others being visited.

I am in two minds where to go t’peaks on Saturday or Llandegla with Matt G. I’ll post up here when I have decided.

Next week, Woodhouse Eaves Village car park Wednesday 7pm.

theglover
    Free Member

Yeah was good fun in the woods last night. Surprisingly long runs… may even bring my enduro next time we play there!

We are still going to Deggars on Sat – but a change of plan with logistics as we are going in my mates van. Still room for you though Danny. Will be leaving Tutbury at about 8:45am.

rascal
    Free Member

Last night was average at best for me.
    Not sure what the opposite of a riding god is, but I was it.
    Wasn’t feeling the love at all even though the weather and conditions were bob-on.
    The amount of unseen boulders causing jarring unexpected pedal strikes was unbelievable.
    The chain snapping was shit – losing half the powerlink was the icing on the cake.
    The not having a cold (and barely deserved) beer was the cherry on the icing on the cake.
    Might get the road bike out this weekend instead as a mini protest 😉
    Enjoy ‘Degla you homes.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m going to head to the Peaks on Saturday – but thanks for the offer, Matt.

It’s better if I’m in control of what time I go and come back family-wise, so I’ll go and shred some gnar around Ladybower instead.

Rascal – don’t punish the MTB by turning to the dark side!

jez130
    Free Member

Good ride. Nice to be back. C u all next week.

scandal42
    Free Member

Me and rob are possibly going to attempt the Ticknall loop with a bit added on this Sunday if people are interested. Roughly 30 miles.

Let me know

fathomer

rascal – Member
    Good turnout – be good to get a few of the original NWLRC disciples out again too (Sam, Steve are you listening?)

I was out a few weeks ago, you where in the valleys on the piss (or something like that :D). I’m currently on our belated honeymoon in South West US looking at things like this:

Oh and tomorrow I’m riding a bike for the first time in two weeks, a Santa Cruz, in Santa Cruz, on dry dusty trails.

placid_casual
    Free Member

Hey folks – was searching for Welsh trail information and came across this thread!
    I’ll keep an eye on what you guys are up to and maybe join you on one of your rides out of Woodhouse (I live in Cropston)

jez130
    Free Member

What time were u thinking of starting tomorrow? Is it the route that starts at Ticknall village hall then goes by foremark, Repton then back by the resovoir?

dannyh
    Free Member

Can’t do tomorrow as I spent most of today rattling around the Peaks. I did the route from last November (five up five down). No mechanicals! Weather started of iffy, turned into bad, before finishing vile!

I pissed around with my fork last night and got it sitting more nicely into its travel. The bike felt much less choppy over the rough stuff. One big-ish sideways moment cornering on the loose rocks on Hagg Farm, but otherwise a great ride on some proper rocks again.

Sorry it was short notice, I was intending to maybe do Llandegla with Matt G, but decided that I needed flexibility on timings, so opted for the Peaks. Don’t think that I was trying to ditch you all!

It was definitely one for the dedicated rider, my summer waterproofs were overwhelmed coming down Lockerbrook and so I was absolutely soaked to the skin by the end, proper ‘wring all your clothes out’ wet.

See you all on Wednesday.

Those of you who are away this weekend, have a good’un.

scandal42
    Free Member

Jez,

We were planning on extending it and actually riding most of the day and starting from Whitwick.

It will be a fairly long day but not too strenuous. Starting at 10am

dannyh
    Free Member

You lucky buggers will be getting the best of the weather tomorrow as well, enjoy!

I can also confirm that, with the seats down, it is possible to climb into the back of a Ford Focus to get changed sitting down in the boot! It really was pissing down that much.

We can compare notes over a pint on Wednesday night. See you then.

jez130
    Free Member

Can’t really do all day. Might go for a evening ride over the beacon if it turns out nice. C u all Wednesday.

jez130
    Free Member

Went round Cademan and Thringstone woods today and after the rain yesterday it has turned into a bog again. Spent most of it going sideways and no grip at all. Nearly had a few close encounters with a couple of trees. Anyway bedded my new Slx brakes in nicely.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Swithy woods was proper grotty last night too – a real swamp with steam and smells and everything. Kept expecting Yoda or a dinosaur to jump out at me

scandal42
    Free Member

Well we did 38 miles on Sunday, cracking ride but easily the muddiest stint of the year.

Lovely xc style route that we should attempt when it’s a bit drier on a Wednesday evening (not the full 38 miles)

Cademan is proper boggy at the moment.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

So who’s brave enough for a bit of bog-hopping tonight? I’ll bring the fatty so I’ll be OK. The rest of you will just have to sink 🙂

asbrooks

Can’t make it tonight, I was away in France visiting the inlaws over the weekend got back late last night. I’m knackard! My knee has eased a little so hopefully be OK for next week.
    There looks to be some good riding around northern France, just wish the UK roads were a bit better, it could make for a good weekend of riding. Not really worth siting in traffic for 9 hours on the M25 though.
    Anyway have a good one tonight Gents…

mrbelowski
    Free Member

A feeble excuse if ever I heard one 😉

asbrooks

I’m full of them mrbeloski 😆

rascal
    Free Member

I’m taking my bike to the doctors tomorrow (schmiken) as it’s currently a bag of shite, so as Duncan Bannatyne would say ‘Arm oot!’. Enjoy – should be wetter than an otter’s pocket.

scandal42
    Free Member

Looking like a low turnout tonight chaps.

I am out with ‘she who must be obeyed’ this evening 🙄

Have some sideways fun on my behalf

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m up for a slitherfest if anyone else is – I assume that’s a definite ‘yes’ from mrbelowski(?)

If so, I will be at the Woodhouse Eaves village car park at 7pm………

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ll be riding. It’ll be a stinky grotty ride 🙂

lucabazooka
    Free Member

… I can’t make it again! tonight chaps….be sure to get your swap on…..whatever that means…..
    …I have to build a bike that I’ve never ridden before, to take up to Scotland for the EWS round that I haven’t trained for, to race this weekend which if history repeats it’s timing self will be the weekend that baby no.2 arrives. Quickly.

Should be an interesting weekend!!

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Is racing wise, if you’re about to give birth? Won’t giving birth on a mountain bike sting a bit?

lucabazooka
    Free Member

…that is a reasonable question…one that we’re pondering at the moment…when I say ‘race’…what I actually mean is do a stage on day 1, cry…then done my pompoms and cheer the manly men on with calves of steel for the rest of the weekend…

A 6hr drive is a bit of a risk though….

No, similar approach to holding a core ball between your knees whilst shredding some gnar.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Surely she can hold on for 6 hours. Took my missus 24 first time round (lazy sod…).

Anyway, is it just me and Dan then? Or are there any more brave souls looking to get cold and miserable?

dannyh
    Free Member

A bit of a different ride from recent weeks tonight. Conditions encouraged some serious mincing as ‘winter brains’ had to be re-engaged as it was as wet as a mermaid’s brassiere. Jez had a ride-ending mechanical as he put a good two inch gash in his tyre, but across the tread rather than down the sidewall. Foul play was suspected in the bottom of one of the Swithy bomb holes, but he couldn’t find any traps in there.

That left Jim and I to continue the mince. Wheels were rarely pointing in the right direction as we took in a lot of the best local stuff. Thick mist added to the whole ambience of an evening that saw most sane people on their sofas. My bike made it back in one piece despite a completely goosed bottom bracket, a rear brake in dire need of bleeding and a (bit worrying this one) failing mtb batteries light. I’ll be on the email to smudge very shortly!

Still good fun all round and another ‘I can say I made it out’ ride for those who made it. It’s always nice to have a ride in unusual conditions, so long as they don’t become the norm. See you all next week……

BillOddie

Jez had a ride-ending mechanical as he put a good two inch gash in his tyre, but across the tread rather than down the sidewall. Foul play was suspected in the bottom of one of the Swithy bomb holes, but he couldn’t find any traps in there.

Thats the bitey swithy slate! I have sliced a few tyres in there as have others.
    The latest victim:

Tube was visible, how i didn’t puncture i’ll never know.

scandal42
    Free Member

Well done lads, good effort.

Not sure what it was like down in the valley there but at Copt Oak I could barely see 5ft in front when driving.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

‘Twas a murky grotty ride indeed. Got utterly soaked, so much that I couldn’t even face the prospect of sitting outside the pub with a pint (or rather, the prospect of getting back on my bike and freezing my nuts off the last 3 miles home).

It was really a fun ride though – felt like a bit of an epic with the conditions the way they were.

Shit luck with your tyre Jez 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.