Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • alanl
    Free Member

I’ll be there, except for death/limb loss, I dont know the area, but here’s my number 0787 548 4190.
    Alan

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers – see you there…at some point.

muddyfool

Room for one more? I’ve been meaning to pop over there for ages so would be good to go with people who know the area. I’m about 10 miles away so will probably come in the car to make it for 6.30.

alanl
    Free Member

It’ll be good to put faces to names, anyone else interested?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Would be but Im between bikes at the moment which frankly was the most stupid oversight on my behalf ever!

twonks

Not that I quite made the ride, but it was good to bump into a few peeps above 🙂

The young un told me off for going up the road on mountain bikes when we passed the car park – she really wasn’t amused 😀

Told her she’d moan a lot more at the rocks and mud through the woods, but it fell on deaf ears.

Hope you had a good ride.

rascal
    Free Member

Well tonight saw the inaugural NWL Riders Club (just made that up – shit innit!).
    Me, dannyh, fathomer and alanl met and minced around the Cademan Woods area for a couple of hours…bumped into twonks. Torn to threads by brambles but nice pint in the local helped.
    Good to meet a few bods off here – tidy bunch – hope to make it a regular thing same time every week.

If you fancy coming along use this thread to announce your arrival.

Cheers

muddyfool

I was too late to meet up unfortunately but came along anyway when I could. i didn’t bump into you (unless you were aged about 14 and riding scooters and dirt bikes… I didn’t stop to ask…) but will be up for other rides in future so i’ll bookmark the thread. Some good trails around there. And plenty of evil muddy overgrown ones!

haydnw
    Free Member

Work got in the way so I couldn’t make it, but definitely up for any other similar meet-ups in future.

KidCragg
    Free Member

I’m based in south Notts but would be keen to get involved.

Any more rides planned?

dannyh
    Free Member

The inaugural NWL Riders Club Wednesday night ride was a success – very enjoyable and a few tracks that I didn’t know existed. Indeed one that has quite a nasty drop of to the left!

I am definitely not available next wednesday as I am away on hols, but I’m up for the week after – assuming work doesn’t get in the way.

The idea would hopefully be to get a standard Wednesday evening ride going – we could then agree a consistent meeting place and time, and just take it from there.

Come on everyone – this club will be like the communist party in soviet russia – if your membership number is in single figures you will attain god-like status when world domination is complete. Or perhaps not!

We rode for just shy of a couple of hours last night, and came nowhere near to doing all the trails in the area – so there is easily enough good stuff for a regular evening ride.

See you in a couple of weeks.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just an afterthought – has anyone (or can anyone) let scandal42 know that we are going to give this a go?

This was his thread after all, so it would be nice to involve him.

alanl
    Free Member

Yes, thanks to the others for turning up, it was good to get out locally, even if I was panting at the back most of the time!
    I’ll definitely be there next Weds, if it carries on, we can maybe arrangement a different meet point each week to vary things.
    Thanks
    Alan.

scandal42
    Free Member

😀

Sorry for my long absence from the thread guy’s, I have been on holiday with no access to the internets.

I was absolutely delighted to log on just now and see that this thread has resulted in the formation of the NWLRC.

Glad you had a good blast, I’m really surprised at the amount of peds in the woods, I have never ever come across one which is crazy.

I should be available for future meets.

Nice one!

rascal
    Free Member

I’ll be there if I don’t get dicked* in work.

*Given the usual more-than-one-day’s-work-finished-by-tomorrow scenario.

Same time and place…though will be needing lights in the next few weeks I think!

rascal
    Free Member

Bloody hell – it’s got dark quickly tonight – makes me think lights is almost a must if the ride’s gonna last much more than an hour 😕
    Anyone else taking theirs?

daftdom
    Free Member

Is there a ride this week and where are you meeting. I live in LFE so not far and would be up for a ride!!
    Dom

rascal
    Free Member

Every Weds 6.30 at the carpark at the top of Swannymote Road, Whitwick.

scandal42
    Free Member

Im going to try my best to get out tomorrow. Managed to pull in 10 miles tonight and after being out of the saddle for over 2 weeks I felt it 🙂

Just out of interest what type of riding do people usually prefer? I usually ride xc with some trail riding mixed in.

I imagine you guys ride fs? I only have a ht at the moment so you may have to wait for me at the bottom of grace dieu woods whilst I amble down 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

Have a good ride this evening folks. I’m a 90% for next week. In Cornwall at present, so no-go this evening.

I’ll get the lights charged up for next Wednesday evening. Scandal, the inaugural ride featured three hardtails and one full-ie, so no need to worry about bike choice.

Last week involved ratting around in Cademan and Gracedieu woods with a pop out to ride the path around Whitlock quarry down to the Copt Oak road out of Whitwick. Nothing crazy, but no head-down XC hacking either, just a nicely rounded play-ride!

Future weeks may well include the Monastery track down to the reservoir and, perhaps Bardon as well, but you guys are in the driving seat this week, so whatever suggests itself.

Make sure you pop in to the Rag and Mop, though!

fathomer

Sorry I’ve been quite since last week but it was a good night and good to put names to faces.

Unfortunately I’ve just been dumped with a load of work which means I’m highly unlikely to be there tonight. If I’m not there by 6.30pm don’t wait around, sorry!

muddyfool

I’ll be along tonight (barring any work emergencies in the next 30 mins!) I don’t have lights though so will have to leave you to if it starts getting dark…

dannyh
    Free Member

Any good last night?

rascal
    Free Member

Hey Daniel – how’s Cornwall?

Yep – good ride last night.

4 again – me, Scandal, daftdom, and Steve (sorry – forgot your username! – muddyfool?).
    Usual run from the top – got split quite early though and didn’t see each other til we bumped into each other at the pub! Loads of other locals about so was shown some cracking little runs I never knew were there so that was a bonus.

Deffo won’t be long before lights required though as gets gloomy in them there woods.
    Steve has some super-dooper Chinese cree lights on the way so if they’re any good I’ll be getting some too 1200 lumens for £20 – ridiculous!

That’s 7 different riders in 2 outings – good if we could all make it next week and add a few more – c’mon people. A few of the other riders might tag along too so might be a bit of a gathering next week.

Same time, same place next Weds…cheers

scandal42
    Free Member

Alright chaps

Despite the logistical issue last night it was still good to get out and meet a few new riders. I should have a mate joining us next week so that’s another one to add to the growing list of members.

I already have one of these and will be buying another set today, they are simply blinding (pun intended) for the money,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-Bicycle-bike-Head-Light-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Head-Light-/330958001861?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item4d0ea256c5

I was thinking yesterday that if we got a steady group going we could also organise some group rides at centres further away, wales etc.

Cheers lads

dannyh
    Free Member

Nice one for keeping the ride going.

Those lights are great. I use one on my lid. Quite spotty in beam terms, but very bright and focused light.

I had a 3 x Cree equivalent, but had some issues as the build was quite tinny compared to the single led. I eventually burnt the light unit out trying to do a controlled battery discharge in my kitchen!

I now have an mtbbatteries lumenator. A bit pricier than the amazon ones, but not as expensive as the very similar magicshine m880.

Well up for next week.

Also away days, I’d be more than glad to show anyone my fave routes in the peaks and long mynd.

Perhaps a Saturday or Sunday in September or October.

rascal
    Free Member

Long Minge was mentioned last night.
    I’m doing a Peaks ride (camping at Coopers, Edale) with a few mates in September sometime…Hollins, Rushup, Mount Famine, Hayfield, Jacobs…beer

Will see if they don’t mind a few stragglers 🙂

fathomer

Yeah, nice one keeping it going, I was gutted I couldn’t get out last night!

I’m going to order some lights before next week, it’ll have to be an early birthday present, but I’m looking at the Lumenator which I’ll run on the helmet.

See you all Wednesday baring no work disasters again!

muddyfool

Yeah, good ride last night all! (Ok technically two separate good rides!)

The light arrived today and it is definitely bright. It appears to be exactly the same as the one scandal posted although I paid a whole extra £3.21 from here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007WAAO70

As mentioned above it does have a fairly narrow beam so will have to see what it’s like, but if its ok I’ll probably get another one for bar/helmet use before it gets properly dark. Not sure how reliable it’ll be either so probably worth having an extra for backup.

Anyway, was good to meet you all and the riding was great. I should be along next week too and could also be interested in trips further afield too sometime – long mynd definitely sounded interesting.As long as you don’t mind having to wait for me to catch up occasionally, that is! 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

You wouldn’t be on your own straggling on long mynd!

Historically, I’ve started the ride either climbing out of carding mill valley or The Batch.

Both are long and steep in places. I have managed to ride up all of The Batch until the really steep scramble at the end. Only to be confronted by the less steep, but grassy and 95% cert to be into a headwind climb onto the ridge proper. Burned.

In a way I prefer the climbs in the Peaks as they have more technical interest, tend to be a bit more sheltered, and they don’t egg you on by seeming do-able when they get really serious!

Many peaks climbs just prompt my inner voice to say “no chance, sunshine, save your legs and walk”!

But some people have cleaned Jacob’s as a climb! Literally unbelievable. I’ve stood at the bottom numerous times and been absolutely mystified as to how you could ride up that, even if you were inhumanly fit.

scandal42
    Free Member

Me and my mate did a 55k marathon over Long Mynd last month, was awesome but the climbs are full of false horizons, which when it’s blistering sunshine with not a tree in sight can be hard work 🙂

I wouldn’t mind going back there, plus the Peaks sound good, unbelievably I have never ridden there.

As I was saying to the lads last night I have some unfinished business with the Penmachno in Betws-y-Coed after getting caught out in the most horrendous weather last time.

dannyh
    Free Member

55k’s?!

You’ll have me for breakfast, then!

I did a 29 mile route there last year. Five times up onto the ridge and back down.

It ended with my legs so cramped that I couldn’t get onto the bike and feet into pedals without jumping off and hobbling around like C3PO.

It was one of the few times I’ve been glad to end a ride. My legs cramped up so badly driving home that I had to stop on the hard shoulder of the M54.

hidetherum
    Free Member

Hi Rascal and all,
    Glad to hear you’re enjoying the woods.
    I’d like to join you one a Wednesday night soon, if that’s OK? I’ve been riding the woods since 2004. I’m nursing the after effects of a broken wrist at the mo, but should be back on the bike pretty soon.
    I’ll pop along and say hello, if I can this week.
    I’m based off Hall Lane, Whitwick.
    Cheers
    e.

rascal
    Free Member

The more the merrier.
    Bring beer tokens 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Heading over Swithland Woods area this afternoon (Sunday) if anyone fancies hooking up…

dannyh
    Free Member

Unfortunately I am nursing a hangover after a 12 pint epic yesterday at the T20 slogging finals! Otherwise a rattle around Swithy might have appealed.

My personal favourite moment was some bloke dressed as Darth Vader stand up to chant something and getting his pint absolutely totalled by a beach ball, soaking him from the chest down.

iain1775
    Free Member

Cycled down to Thingstone and Cademan Woods today from South Derby
    35 mile round trip including a blast through the woods and a detour on way home through Robin Woods at Ticknall
    Good day on the bike

dannyh
    Free Member

Who’s in for this Wednesday, then?

I’ll be there. Usual time, usual place.

I’m feeling a bit podgy after a fortnight off the bike boozing and eating, so it’s an absolute must for me this week!

I will be puffing, panting and, above all, sweating my way around the riding spots of NWL again.

dannyh
    Free Member

P.S.

I’ve charged my lights as it looks pretty dusky out there tonight at 8-15pm so will be poor visibility in the woods from about 8 onwards I would have thought.

scandal42
    Free Member

I went for a spin the woods tonight, was dark but I was wearing a pair of those yellow tinted glasses, amazing breakthrough, almost like mid afternoon in the cover of the trees 😀

P.S. Take lights

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.