Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Yep – not going to be a frosty one, but I’ll settle for it not blowing a gale and horizontal rain for two hours like the last Wednesday night ride!

Should be OK – a nice couple of hours followed by a pint, just the job.

There’s an organised ride in the Peaks on Sunday 23rd Feb led by the bloke I normally go on organised rides with. We can discuss later – but the ride takes in some lesser known, but really good stuff out of Hayfield. If you are up for going, I’ll give you the details……

theglover
    Free Member

I will hopefully be there too. If I am not there at 7 dont hang around for me.

scandal42
    Free Member

Currently arguing with an angry Russian woman on a TC at work.

If I am not there at bang on 7 leave me behind as it’s looking like a long one.

Typing quietly**

jez130
    Free Member

Going to give it a miss guys. Still full of flu.

scandal42
    Free Member

Danny I hope you get this

only just got in after taking 1 hour to drive to Whitwick from Loughborough. A closed for some reason.

was well up for it this week as well.

Sorry pal

dannyh
    Free Member

Jez / scandal

No worries, got your earlier post about 7 on the dot, so we didn’t loiter.

Just the two of us on a very slip-slidey set of trails. Did just over two hours with some fairly major sideways moments (especially in my case). And another bastard pinch flat for me into the bargain.

Got to Curzon, but shut 🙁

Don’t know why, but there was a skip outside, so guessing some kind of referb.

Let’s set the meet as 7pm next Wednesday in the car park of the rag n mop Whitwick.

dannyh
    Free Member

Ok.

The meet is 7pm man within compass car park Whitwick, tomorrow evening.

Who’s in?

I’ll be there.

scandal42
    Free Member

Hi Danny

Yet again I’m out, been collared into going out with the missus :x.

I must say though, the trails are utterly saturated around there at the moment so I would recommend something to sit on in the car 🙂

theglover
    Free Member

Hi Danny,
    I am going to head to Cannock tonight so wont be joining you.

Sorry.

dannyh
    Free Member

No worries fellas – thanks for letting me know.

Is anyone else going to be there tonight?

If no one is going, I don’t fancy loading bike into car, getting changed into bike gear etc……….

I’ll scour this thread when I get home at about 6pm – if no one has replied in the affirmative I’ll bin this week as well.

If this leaves someone standing in a car park – sorry.

We probably need to come up with a better way of communicating 😕

dannyh
    Free Member

Popped out for a very local ride this morning as our youngest kept us up most of the night due to the cold he has, which I am now getting. Anyhow, spent nearly three hours slithering around like a landed mackerel on the deck of a ship in Swithland wood and environs. Good fun, the highlight of which was a lovely result of my ‘killing them with kindness’ approach to grumpy walkers.

I arrived at the bottom of a naughty bit at the same time as an old bloke and his missus, who just had that ‘self-appointed local magistrate’ look about her. As he was about to open the gate I stepped in, opened it for him and held it open for the old battle axe with a cheery “there you go, I’m not really meant to be here, so after you”. The look on her face was like watching someone’s brain short circuit in slow motion. She tried to be uppity but polite at the same time, the combination of which was toe curlingly embarrassing and awkward. This was added to by my parting shot of “enjoy the rest of your walk”. Mint.

Anyone up for Wednesday evening round this way?

jez130
    Free Member

Can only think of two words to say to people like that. Starts in F and ends on OFF!

Yet again im in flooded Dorchester next week so no bikies for me.

scandal42
    Free Member

😆

Excellent, you can rest assured that it will have ruined her entire week.

I am going to make every effort possible to get over this Wednesday (Yes I know)

I am also up for the Peaks ride Danny so will have to discuss.

dannyh
    Free Member

Ok.

The time: 7pm Wednesday (tomorrow) evening

The place: Woodhouse Eaves village car park

The theme: The bit in ‘Predator’ where Arnie covers himself in stinking mud to throw off the predator’s infra red. Or standing behind a muck spreader, either is appropriate

The payback: Pint in the Curzon. Plus the company of the NWLRC for a couple of hours.

What’s not to like?

scandal42
    Free Member

🙄

Erm, I have been off work for 3 days with this **** Novovirus shit that I managed to get at a wedding at the weekend.

Needless to say you will not want me there.

I have had the shittest start to 2014 biking and illness wise.

I really hope at least a couple of you make it out.

dannyh
    Free Member

Not good to hear that Scandal. I’ve had that a couple of times in the last five years. You can’t beat a bit of uncontrollable vomiting and pissing rusty water out of your arse to make you want to stay indoors until May.

Anyone else going to make it? If you are, please post up here – I don’t want to make a big effort to finish stuff at work, get changed, put the lights on the bike and waste a pair of contact lenses to arrive in an empty car park(!)

I am up for it if someone else is!

fathomer

Not me I’m afraid, busy tonight and for the next couple of Wednesdays 🙁

BillOddie

Swithland woods is under water.

dannyh
    Free Member

Swithland woods is under water.

Could be construed as ‘fun’ or ‘character-building’ though!

I would like to go out for a social ride this evening, but riding solo doesn’t really appeal.

dannyh
    Free Member

OK folks, looks like it’s a non-starter (again) 🙁

I might nip out for a bit on my own later, but no group in tow(!)

danrandon
    Free Member

I’d love to join in one night if you can put up with a fat, unfit 40 year old with a buggered knee and ankle

dannyh
    Free Member

Danrandon,

You’ll fit right in (at least with me). Some of the fitter ones amongst us mash around on singlespeeds – I suspect it is so they can still get a workout whilst they ride at my pace, but they are too polite to say so!

Anyway, keep an eye on this thread and I’m sure we can meet up at some point.

dannyh
    Free Member

I actually made it out for an hour and a half this evening. Three times up and down a well-known local hill 😉

I have to say conditions at the top of said hill were not that hospitable, and I didn’t linger………

Still, better than sitting on the sofa fuming about work.

It’s quite eerie riding a bike with n/w chainring and clutch mech at 20-30mph down a hill with a 20-30mph tailwind. Almost total silence other than a bit of wheezing from the fork.

So I guess we could say I kept the ride alive, but it’s vital signs are fading. Come on folks, let’s keep it up til we don’t need lights at all!

scandal42
    Free Member

Due to the utter shitfest on the trails near me I’m heading off to Cannock in the morning.

Going to be the 1st time iv’e been out in weeks so will be utterly leisurely.

Glad you got out Dan

danrandon
    Free Member

Scandal42 May just see you there, Keep an eye out for a Whyte T-120 being ridden by a fat, unfit 40 year old with a buggered knee and ankle

fathomer

I’m over at Cannock tomorrow as well with the wife in tow. I’ll keep an eye out for you both 😀

danrandon
    Free Member

sound almost like an unofficial meet up anyone else there?

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ll be indulging in the ‘utter shitfest’ around the local area tomorrow morning – can’t really make Cannock, ride and back.

Enjoy yourselves – with the thousand other MTB riders who are likely to be there as well!

Remember a mile ridden in winter is worth two in the summer…………

scandal42
    Free Member

I think the key is to start fairly early. The forecast from 12 is looks a bit brutal.

Have a good ride chaps

danrandon
    Free Member

Well cannock was not that bad mud wise. Some puddles as to be expected but overall fairly unmessy. Had a great ride. 2 laps of the dog and 1 of the monkey with coffee and cake inbetweeners.

Funny moment of the day: blowing my front tyre of the rim on the last rock of rock and rollers on my last lap of the day. Perfect timing for a flat with just a couple of hundred yards to push the bike to the car.

schmiken

Lucky sod, everything round here is just a bog 🙁

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes, I can confirm that the local trails are a bit moist. Ok with a bit of ‘this is good exercise slogging up/along/through this track that takes a quarter of this effort in the summer’ attitude, though.

It also keeps walkers to a minimum, so swings and roundabouts really. Cademan was fun yesterday, the wheels were rarely pointing in the same direction and some ‘body english’ was required to keep it rubber side down in places. Needless to say I felt on quite good form yesterday, if it had been an ‘off’ day I would now be complaining about the state of the place!

Anyway, look on the bright side, still light at 5-15pm now. Nearly summer again…….

Anyone up for Wednesday evening?

danrandon
    Free Member

Any of you guys and girls ride at hicks lodge on Thursday night?

dannyh
    Free Member

Not to my knowledge. We try to do each Wednesday evening alternating between my neck of the woods (Woodhouse eaves) and the ride’s spiritual home (Whitwick).

We meet at 7pm and ride for 2 to 2.5 hours finishing with a pint.

Nothing super-serious, but not just tootling along lanes and field edges either (although these are a necessary evil as NW Leics is not exactly the Lake District!)

Generally speaking if there are two or more people interested, then a ride happens.

If you want to come along, then keep an eye on this thread and let us know.

Blackhound

Could anybody send me a gpx (email in profile) of any of the rides in the Whitwick area? I live in Derby and tend to ride in the day as I am retired.

I ride to Hicks Lodge and back sometimes often via Breedon and Rough Park and Repton Shrubs. I see Breedon is only ~4 miles from Grace Dieu area and probably bits to do in those woods round there but don’t know where to go. Not been in the woods around GD, High Sharpely and Swithland in over 25 years and never on a bike so memory a bit hazy.

From posts above may need to leave it a few weeks for water levels to reduce. Thanks.

danrandon
    Free Member

Dannyh, I’d love to join in one evening. Only problem is making it on time, I work over in long eaton and sometimes don’t get out until 6:30 which is pushing it a little for time.

danrandon
    Free Member

anyone riding tomorrow, if so where is the meeting place for this one.

Just started snowing in coalville.

dannyh
    Free Member

Right then – can I please set the meet for tomorrow evening?

7pm Woodhouse Eaves Village car park.

If anyone is interested, I will be there!

Snow’s just melted in Coalville!

dannyh
    Free Member

P.S. The weather for tomorrow evening looks vile, but we can call it ‘character-building’ if necessary.

As above, if anyone wants to come, I will be there……..

danrandon
    Free Member

sounds daft but where in the village is the car park

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.