• This topic has 25 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pj11.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Whiteways nr Arundel
  • chris36860
    Free Member

So, I’ve just returned home from a very muddy but great ride around my local trail. I’ve been riding Whiteways for about 15 years ish and over the years new trials have popped up especially lately. This morning, 4 of us were stood having a chat at the start of Northern Edge, when some guy drives up in a land rover on the SDW path and tells us to get off the land as it’s private. In all my years of riding there, I have never seen a sign or been told it’s private. We asked him who owns it and we were told it belongs to the Duke of Norfolk and it’s his shooting land. Can anybody confirm this please? He was pretty rude about it and we mentioned that some signage would help as there is nothing (we did check when he left). Cheers

hodgynd
    Free Member

Get an OS map ..should be easy enough to determine ..

Jamze

OS map won’t show land ownership? Sounds about right though, as Duke of Norfolk owns lots around Arundel Castle.

So bloke was prob technically correct if you weren’t on the cycle trail (which is on the OS map.) However all down to what the owner tolerates in the forest.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Obviously it won’t show land ownership..but it will show rights of way ..
    All land is private / owned by someone ..sounds as if because of the recent activity in terms of new trails sprouting up the landowner has taken the hump and has decided enough is enough ..

towzer

re row, this is pretty useful

http://www.rowmaps.com/

Splash-man
    Free Member

AFAIK the woods are owned by the Forestry Commission. It was the FC that was trying to put some lodges up in the woods a few years ago.
    I know the trail you mean (I think) and that isn’t exactly new.

I’m heading over tomorrow btw.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Houghton

Here you go….

Splash-man
    Free Member

Actually, having checked the Interactive map the North East corner of the forest where the trail starts looks to be outside of the forest boundary so I stand to be corrected.

I’m often use this map link to check ROWs.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean with that link Splash-man.
    As far as I can see all it tells us is that it’s not property of “Woodland Trust”

Splash-man
    Free Member

@Littlenose – it states it’s owned by the FC.

LittleNose
    Free Member

missed that – my error… oops 🙂

Splash-man
    Free Member

I’ll be on the look out for the Landrover brigade tomorrow when I do that trail.

chris36860
    Free Member

Cheers guys. There was a shoot going on further over the downs and the land rovers were coming back from it. The trail is years old and is well used. We did question what the guy said, but he insisted we moved off the land.

efcwils
    Free Member

Ridden there loads over the last 18 months and never been told to move on.
    Think he has his wires crossed or he’s just looking for an argument. It’s well used by dog walkers, hikers, horses and MTBers and has been for quite some (as you’re aware).

fisherboy
    Free Member

Had a similar conversation with a game keeper about four years ago with much the same message although on rather more friendly terms.

Basically only a small section immediately behind the the cafe is Forestry commission land. Most of the rest of is owned by the duke of Norfolk estate with this then leased to local farms. Yes these farms and land are used for shoots in the season.

The game keeper basically told me we were welcome in small groups but to take care. Keep noise to a minimum to avoid scaring the nesting birds and wear bright clothing to avoid being shot at. Also be aware at night there will be marksmen present in the woods culling dear.

Basically they did not like noisy groups and aggressive trial building.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I still think it’s just the extreme North East and North West corners which aren’t FC.
    After all it was the FC that wanted to put the lodges right through the middle of the forest to the north of Denture bridleway.

Was rather ‘damp’ today after another night of rain !

daver27
    Free Member

I could.do with finding out where this is as it’s on my doorstep..

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I had “issues” with the FC as I used to do MTB coaching there. As far as they are concerned the only trails you can legally go on are the bridleways running through the area, all other paths are off limits.

Of course we all take notice of that 😉

Splash-man
    Free Member

@daver27 – it’s a good place to go and explore. Park by the cafe then either get someone to show you around or go and explore the tracks. You are never far from the car park so can’t really get lost.
    Don’t forget to stop at the cafe for a hot chocolate and a slab of cake.
    Whereabouts are you based ?

@hummer Jim – we can’t help it I’d we occasionally fall off the fire roads on a deer track, we always find our way back 🙂

sr0093193
    Free Member

FC dont own everything they manage. Could be leasehold with the land owner retaining sporting and recreation rights hence no access beyond rights of way. As always…dont be a dick.

Splash-man
    Free Member

As always…dont be a dick.

Exactly this, luckily nobody has built jumps etc, just using the natural features and deer tracks.
    As mentioned before all of the tracks are used by cyclists, walkers, horse riders, deer etc.
    Always seems to be very harmonious.

daver27
    Free Member

@Splash-man, I’m based in Storrington, have been for 2 years and haven’t really explored as much as i should have…

chris36860
    Free Member

Splash-man, does that mean you haven’t found the 20ft gap they have made in that new trail that cuts across the little long jump one? Somebody has been very busy up there. There is now a new entrance into No Brake challenge further up, which launches you into it a high speed from a kicker. I love jumps, but just hope the builders haven’t pushed it to far. I think land owners were happy with us using deer tracks, but gaps and kickers are a different thing all together.

ade9933
    Free Member

Wow. Not seen any of that. I haven’t been there for a month or so… will have to take a look.

Splash-man
    Free Member

@chris36860 – not aware of the big gap jump. I did notice the new entrance to NBC yesterday but didn’t get round to riding it.
    Ive tended to stick to the original lines Tbh, I’m not a jumper so not bothered looking.

pj11
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve been riding up Whiteways for the past 22 years. Never had any issues tbh but noticed the jumps being built over the last year or so. I think this is what pisses off the Foresty etc. It’s fine to clear trails but gap jumps etc is going to ruffle some feathers.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Whiteways nr Arundel’ is closed to new replies.