Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Whitelee wind farm spine road (for Iainc)
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Went up to Whitelee today Iain, on the road bike with the intention of riding the 13 mile spine road. Rode up the a77 into a fierce wind, along the moor and onto the spine road. It's tarmac on one side with speed bumps and dirt road on the other side, unfortunately the tarmac stopped at the control centre and I didn't go any further onto the dirt road – don't think the pro 3 race tyres would have liked it 😉

There is a gate a wee bit after the control centre and I couldn't really see what the surface was after that but I'll take a trip up on the cx bike and explore further. The road was quite busy with site traffic so will probably go up at a weekend.

iainc

Gary – thanks for posting up – I'll set that one as a target for my 'recovery' training. 😛

Cheers

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Take a map! It's a huge development.

I ended upon that road one evening after work. Took a wee jaunt from the EK office (where I keep the 5), along to Auldhouse and trudged across a boggy marsh, shouldering the bike, to have a look at the turbines.

It was getting late, the skies were darkening, and my elevated position allowed me to view a lotta rain coming in from the west.
    I went back and forth in both directions looking for a way out, but it wasn't too easy to get my bearings.

Eventually found a turbine with a telephone number on, called it and got through to a control centre. Gave him the turbine ID number and he guided me out to safety.

I think it has the potential to be a fairly dull run though. However, I'll reserve judgement until I experience it 'properly'.

iainc

Hi Mike,

I was involved in the construction and got lost a few times then as well, even with a map 😆 I have ridden up there a fair bit on the cross bike, as I stay pretty close at Hairmyres, but as per Gary's post, the main spine road is now part tarmac surfaced. There will eventually be a lot of 'family trails' but unlikley to be any great mountain biking

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Whitelee wind farm spine road (for Iainc)’ is closed to new replies.