• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by html6.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • White spirits chain cleaning…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Anyone found anything easier?

White spirits, wipperman connex powerlink, chuck chain in milk bottle, add white spirits, shake about for a minute, flush with water in sieve, hang to dry. Always gives me an immaculate chain which lasts well, and get many years out of the cassette, chainrings.

Current fav lube is Squirt which i’ve found works well year round. Tried purple meths but doesnt seem as potent at getting all the deep seated grime off.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I never found white spirit particularly good either tbh, plus it’s a pain to handle and dispose of responsibly.

bumper
    Free Member

I use paraffin, works very well. I don’t dispose of it, just re-use it. If it gets really minging just let it settle and pout the clear into another plastic bottle. I’ve also got some stuff called tardis, it’s horrid stuff to use though.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I should add usually reuse the white spirit. I’ll have to try paraffin too 🙂

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Orange oil degreaser always worked well for me

bear-uk
    Free Member

I normally use Diesel and just wipe with a rag before lubing.

ajt123
    Free Member

This is my method, works great.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Normally just leave it to soak in some white spirits. Shall give the shake in a bottle a go next time.

munkster
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering whether this sort of thing (Lubrisol citrus degreaser) was any good? I normally use Fenwicks concentrated stuff (diluted but sometimes neat on a chain) but seem to get through too much of the stuff.

Anyone any experience of the Lubrisol type stuff?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bought a gallon of IPA and it does the job well. Added bonus it dries quickly.

Some roadies reckon oil mixed in so it dries to leave a thin film is a good idea, but wouldn’t work with a water based dry lube like squirt or UBS.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

IPA is great stuff, use a spray can from maplins on all sorts, where did you buy the gallon bottle from?

html6
    Free Member

Just tried this for the first time. Quite impressed with the results. Was going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner but theres no need now. Cheers 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘White spirits chain cleaning…’ is closed to new replies.