Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • White spirit as a chain cleaner
  • edward2000
    Free Member

As above, does anyone use white spirit to clean chains? Any reason why it shouldnt be used?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i do – works well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Diesel is better, and probably cheaper.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use turps substitute before dunking it in putoline wax.

Do it in a jar, it’s nasty for the environment so best kept contained, the gunk settles out so you can decant to a fresh jam jar and keep using it indefinately.

Pour the dregs into a big bottle and take to the recycling center allong with all your old engine oils, brake fluids etc.

neninja
    Free Member

I used white spirit to clean my chain – got a jam jar full which the chain goes in and is given a shake and left overnight. All the dirt sinks to the bottom.

Then degrease the chain with Jizer.

Northwind

Works fine but paraffin and diesel are both cheaper.

project
    Free Member

a chap i used to work with cleaned his chain with thinners, worked well, but he threw the oily rags in the bin and somebody then threw a fag end in, result big fire, and he also tiped the residue down the drain outside, large flames as somebody dropped a fag down drain.Thiners floats on water,in the drain.

Just be careful what you do with the residue

use swarfega oil and dirt remover about 8 quid a gallon form b and q

benslow
    Free Member

Do it in a jar, it’s nasty for the environment so best kept contained, the gunk settles out so you can decant to a fresh jam jar and keep using it indefinately.

Ta – learnt something simple I didn’t know ….

Have been doing it in a tray and it was a right mucky mess and needed throwing away each time.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I use aviation fuel for free which is basically kerosene, brings chains up nicely. Have also used white spirit which was fine too.

Scapegoat

Useful tip bigbloke. Now where can I find some Aviation Fuel for free? 😀

bigbloke
    Free Member

Yes should have stated kerosene is heating oil/paraffin , available commonly, cheaper than diesel but obviously not free though 😕 😳

doubledunter
    Free Member

Been using white spirit for years now being a decorator :D…white spirit is expensive though 🙁

zangolin
    Free Member

White spirit user here.
    4 litre container of white spirit from a DIY store.
    Clean your parts – pour your dirty ws into another 4/5 litre container (empty windscreen wash containers are a good source)

Dirt settles down to the bottom in the used ws – after a day or so. When you start to run short of the fresh clean ws carefully pour off the “clean” ws from the dirty container back into the original clean container – big funnel is good for this.
    Easy get 2 years out of a 4L container like this.

Blackhound

Often use a coffee filter for pouring ws back into original jar to stop dirt getting through. Something I read here some time ago.

zangolin
    Free Member

Often use a coffee filter for pouring ws back into original jar to stop dirt getting through. Something I read here some time ago.

good tip – I like that idea.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I use aviation fuel for free which is basically kerosene, brings chains up nicely. Have also used white spirit which was fine too.

Yip, me too, Mobil jet A1 for all your chain cleaning needs!.

supertacky
    Free Member

WD40 and GT85 are 90% white spirit anyway so yeah knock yourself out.

colin1265
    Free Member

Old 2ltr milk container filled with a couple if inches of White Spirit, chain in, shake like buggery, leave for 10 mins. Pour into container ‘b’ with filter on top, jobs a good ‘un.

BrickMan

JIZER

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, started using white spirit here, works pretty well. I like the coffee filter idea aswell.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The problem with jizzer, gunk, etc is they’re surfactant based. So you then have to wash with a lot of water otherwise they’ll turn whatever chain lube you use to an emulsion which then washes out. Whereas any residual white spirit will evoporate, and anything left after that is just oil anyway.

Davesport

Dishwasher…end of !

madjak
    Free Member

“Jizzer” is good for cleaning chains/gears and stuff on your bike when your washing it. Give it a good rinse off and relube for next time when done. I blow water dispursant though the chain when done as it strips all the old grease out.

I’d use parafin for when everythings apart.

If you have a compressor, clutch/brake cleaning fluid (available from Auto factors) or methanol (Available from mentalists) in a parafin gun for blasting the dirt out of things is brilliant (and very satisfying), just don’t smoke at the same time….

Cheezpleez

Blimey! Do you lot do this after every ride? I just spray it with a hose, wipe it with a rag, lube and leave

stevied
    Free Member

Just used a Park chain cleaner thingy for the 1st time and I’m sold. Always used to use a degreaser (free from work) but had to take the chain off every time. Now gone SRAM 10sp chain with lock-link so don’t want to be faffing with getting that off..
    Chain cleaner works brilliant (with free degreaser in), blow chain dry gently with air-line, oil. Took me 5mins and have a shiny, oiled chain again 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Blimey! Do you lot do this after every ride? I just spray it with a hose, wipe it with a rag, lube and leave

You clean it after every ride? You obviously have more spare time than me.

before dunking it in putoline wax.

Takes about 3 months in normal mud to get putoline off.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘White spirit as a chain cleaner’ is closed to new replies.