Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • White Peak Advice
  • fathomer

So, me and a friend are planning to ride somewhere in the south peaks on Sunday. I have a copy of the VP book but I’m looking for some advice on a route, from said book, probably the Epics section, which will be riding ok and isn’t overly technical.

Suggestions please 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

millers dale circuit is good and not too wet

fathomer

There isn’t a millers dale circuit in my book, it’s not also known as the Cheedale Wye Valley Route by any chance?

MadPierre

Dark is always better than White at this time of year! Grit is grippier than limestone – especially when wet.

But… As I’ve not go the book to hand. This route on my site might suit? http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district/12-eyam-a-bakewell.html

benman
    Free Member

Yeah the white peak isn’t too good this time of year, most of the legal stuff is pretty boggy. The trails around Northwood and Copy wood (near Rowsley) usually aren’t too bad (probably some kind of ‘5 dales’ route in the book or something?). However, I would cut out the Manners Woods part of this route – horrendous this time of year.

Mad Pierre’s route above is pretty good, but I’d detour up past the Riley Graves between points 1 and 2, otherwise you are missing a nice piece of downhill.

MadPierre

Mad Pierre’s route above is pretty good, but I’d detour up past the Riley Graves between points 1 and 2, otherwise you are missing a nice piece of downhill.

Yeah we usually do that but as the best DH option of the two past the graves is “cheeky” I didn’t include it in the route!

benman
    Free Member

Theres another nice bit of cheeky trail just above there. Check out Hollow Brook… Wee bit slippery though.

MadPierre

Hollow Brook? Better than the re-surfaced descent on the route? Will have to have a look next time I’m there? Not done it for ages.

This way into the back of Eyam is very short but fun: http://mountainbikerides.co.uk/photos/local-rides/the-peak-district/bakewell-robbos-50th/bakewell39-3002.html

Looks flat in the phot but is nice and steep in reality.

benman
    Free Member

Hollow brook spits you out in Eyam… clicky

I’m assuming your ‘steep’ trail is the dotted line to the west of this? Have looked down that hillside from the road but not ridden it…

fathomer

I appreciate that the dark peak is better in the winter, and probably better overall, but my friend doesn’t want to go that far north and assume the white peak is less technical!

I’ll have a look at the Eyam route, thanks for that Mad Pierre. Your sites very good, I’m actually pretty local to you and used to play football for Asfordby!

nbt

not sure it’ll be less technical at the moment, I’d much rather have a grippy surface than be sliding left right and centre

jambalaya
    Free Member

@fathomer – I rode there a month ago for the first time, the muddiest mudfest I’ve ever experienced – appalling. For comparison the Dark Peak has some of my favourite riding in the UK.

We did a guide book ride which was 50% roads (which were the best part of the ride) starting/ending in Birchover and round via Youlgreave – the real commedy stuff was in Gratton Dale

robhenry85
    Free Member

not a bad ride even in the wet, can change to add in some of the routes already mentioned

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district/12-eyam-a-bakewell.html

MadPierre

benman I’m assuming your ‘steep’ trail is the dotted line to the west of this? Have looked down that hillside from the road but not ridden it…

Yeah. Roughly there.

fathomer – Member
    I’ll have a look at the Eyam route, thanks for that Mad Pierre. Your sites very good, I’m actually pretty local to you and used to play football for Asfordby!

Small world and all that. I grew up in Asfordby!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘White Peak Advice’ is closed to new replies.