Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Whistler for the non gnar.
  • zippykona

What is the riding like for people that like their wheels to be in contact with the ground?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Amazing. MTB paradise for allsorts.

nigew
    Free Member

There are plenty of trails in the bike park without big jumps, even most of A-line can be rolled.
    Una Moss and Blue Velvet from the top of the 2nd lift are excellent!

clubby

Loads of stuff. Lost lake trail (equivalent of trail centre stuff here) are a nice warm up, then move onto the valley trails. However, if you’re not into bike park stuff, I’d say the trails down in Squamish are better than Whistler.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Hmm, define ‘gnar’…in my books, gnar is not related to “wheels on the ground”…meaning it’s possible to ride some very gnarly trails without tyres leaving Terra Firma.
    So what, specifically, are you afraid of? 😆

zippykona

I don’t ride the drop in on Barry knows best.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

My lad rode there when he was 10 and he was non gnar at the time…. likes to think his now “cos he’s rode Whistler”

Greens and Blues are great you could ride them all day and keep your wheels on the ground

P-Jay
    Free Member

TBH a lot of the park is so wide and smooth it’s easy to pootle down if you want

Out the park there’s a huge range of trails from OMFG that’s unridable to what a lovely day for a bit of sight seeing,

Sanny
    Free Member
    mikey74
    Free Member

There is something in the park, and in the valley trails, for everyone. As others have said, even A-line can be rolled without leaving the ground. I’d stay away from the double-blacks, such as Goats Gully and In Deep (favourite trails of mine), but there is plenty else to keep you occupied for a week or two.

It would be fair to say that one of the favourite trails amongst our group is a green trail called Shady Acres/Del Bocca Vista. Most of the day we hit blacks and double blacks, but we always make sure we hit that trail several times a day.

The Valley trails are also amazing and, again, are suitable for all ages.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I prefer Squamish to Whistler for trail riding. It’s been 10 years since I rode BKB so things might have changed but it wouldn’t register as tech to most BC riders. I’m from Alberta and my riding has come on leaps and bounds since emigrating but locals leave me in awe.

As above flow trails can be done at almost any speed and there is something for everyone.

It’s worth going and starting gently…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A Line can all be rolled, bar the squirrel catcher, but it shouldn’t be encouraged. The bike parks blue tech trails aren’t crazy gnarly and are a lot of fun on a trail/enduro bike as well as on a bike DH bike. Even black tech generally can all be rolled but are often easier if you’re comfortable dropping off small rocks etc. The flow trails are all super wide but tend to be high speed and designed to be ridden as jump trails. If you want to keep your wheels on the ground you’ll either be braking a lot or getting very good at sucking up the lips… The greens are a mixed bag, some are awful, wide dull affairs where as Del Boca Vista is great fun.

Out side the park the Lost Lake trails are similar to any given UK trail centre red trail. There’s lots of other blue and black rated trails around the valley that don’t require the wheels to come off the ground and aren’t crazy technical.

The new Lord of the Squirrels alpine trail is a big old ride but a fantastic descent which any decent rider should have fun on. It’s well worth doing if you’re in the area in the mid summer.

Squamish has some great riding which tends to have a bit more flow than the Whistler trails while still being fun and wheels down.

BigDummy
    Free Member

There’s a lot of good advice here. I’d add:

– definitely avoid Goat’s Gully; and
    – I’m sure you can roll A-Line, but if you do, you’ll probably be run down repeatedly by trains of much better people riding it properly and that is a dead waste of a lap. Just go do something else.
    – Valley > Park.
    – Trailforks App is amazeballs.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure you can roll A-Line, but if you do, you’ll probably be run down repeatedly by trains of much better people riding it properly and that is a dead waste of a lap. Just go do something else.

I did a “slow” A line run over the summer, knackered but still fun but as said it’s very hard not to get off the ground and it will normally be full of the park heros getting it nailed and the speed difference is immense. Even on some of the easier trails I felt like I was up to speed and then rode with a couple of mates who were out there and, well it was nice of them to wait 😉

The out of the park stuff was brilliant though even for the short visit I had, wish I’d have had the legs for lord of the squirrels but I was shot by then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Double Post (cleared obviously)

gribble
    Free Member
    nickc

even A-line can be rolled without leaving the ground.

Erm…apart from the big drop off right at the start, which you can’t roll. 😆 Besides that, nearly all the trails in the park are doable wheels down, even goats gully’s not that bad. and the Valley trails are nearly all rollable…

edit, this is going to turn into a humblebrag of all the people who’ve been to Whistler, isn’t it..? 😆

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Also worth bearing in mind the grading system. Slower riders have priority on blues and reds in the park but on the blacks it’s up to you to get out of way of the faster riders.

There is a fairly strong argument to avoiding them if you are a wheels on the ground guy, at least when they are busy. With the park rats busting endless high speed laps in peak times, you are a moving liability & I’ve seen some nasty crashes as a result.

There is plenty to ride if you are arnt towards thay end of the scale though, it’s a long way to go if you are struggling with features on BKB (don’t even know where the drop is?). You won’t get the full experience by a long way, and you will probably end up getting stressed about not being able to ride trails/features.

It is, however a great place to go. I’m already looking forward to going back next summer.

zippykona

This is what I’d like to ride. ..not a rocky drop off or piece of wood work to be seen.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^ lots of that, tbh there is a lot of everything.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/Vn1pnEytrEE[/video]

Kryton57

I don’t ride the drop in on Barry knows best.

There’s a drop on BNB?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

This is what I’d like to ride. ..not a rocky drop off or piece of wood work to be seen.

That’s the lower section of A-Line. What that doesn’t show you is the 50 jumps before it of varying size, and the ~30ft table after it.

nickc

The trails in the park are divided into “flow” which tend to be like that picture, only with jumps. They can be squashed, but TBH they’re well built enough that even a numpty like me can look like pretty good. And “tech” which tend to be (but not exclusively) rollable features and drop offs, rock gardens etc.

Its all designed to be ridden by “average” mountain bikers, if they understand anything at Whistler, they understand that the vast vast majority of people that go there are distinctly mediocre 😆

vmgscot

Start on “EZ Does It” and follow the trail progression chart – it really is superb.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry slight hijack.

I am going in the summer for 2 days (part of bigger trip)

Are there any big mountain experience routes that I could take Jnr FD on (8 yrs old) ie a lift up, big views, long decent, but not overly steep or technical?

Also where is the best place to higher bikes, and what kind of cost are we looking at ?

Ta

Kryton57

Timely. Ive been offered a trip to Vancouver in April, within which a day at Whistler is on the cards.

Bookmarked!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Good luck, it will be mostly still be buried under a few meters of snow at that point.

sweaman2
    Free Member

In April take your skis!!

nigew
    Free Member

Are there any big mountain experience routes that I could take Jnr FD on (8 yrs old) ie a lift up, big views, long decent, but not overly steep or technical?

What type of riding has Jnr FD ridden at home?
    There is a blue, Una Moss/ Blue Velvet from the Whistler Village Gondola that can be linked up with Blues and greens all the way back to the Village
    Whistler Trail Map

There were plenty of rippers riding out there last summer

walleater

Yeah in April you’d be better off riding on the North Shore or heading up to Squamish.

RustySpanner

oldfart

Haven’t been for 7 years Lost Lake is a good intro as has been said , Valley Trails are ace work up to Kill Me Thrill Me , Comfortably Numb and A River Runs Through It . In the park my fave was start with B Line into Ho Chin Min Karate Pizza Cat ( or other way round ? ) into a glorious finish with Heart Of Darkness

pipiom
    Free Member

I went two years ago for my 60th birthday…..i had 3 days guided from these guys,in and out of the park. I just gave them my brief (similar to yours OP) and they just made it happen, In a rather spectacular way, might I add.

http://www.bearbackbiking.com

pipiom
    Free Member

I went two years ago for my 60th birthday…..i had 3 days guided from these guys,in and out of the park. I just gave them my brief (similar to yours OP) and they just made it happen, In a rather spectacular way, might I add.

http://www.bearbackbiking.com

BearBack
    Free Member

2 big trail days, ~84km and 2000m vertical according to my strava pipiom.
    Plus a day in the park with one of the boys.
    I really enjoyed getting back into old school Whistler trail riding with you!
    Its interesting recently how Whistler riders preferences have evolved more towards single ‘enduro stages’ rather than being a trail journey.
    Squamish is also superb for being able to put together a multi trail adventure

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve got “train wreck” and all of the Frank Zappa stuff permanently embedded on my frontal lobes……how’s it hanging with you guys?

Oh, then there was “the park”

“Hi Chi Minh”was a blast

whatnobeer
    Free Member

, Valley Trails are ace work up to Kill Me Thrill Me , Comfortably Numb and A River Runs Through It .

If you like slow tech with no flow. I guess they’re marmite trails. I’ll ride each once a summer to remind myself that there’s much more fun to be on other trails 😛

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What type of riding has Jnr FD ridden at home?

The only trail centre type riding is Llandegla red. He’s done a fair bit of riding on open moorland, but not used to big descents so suffered most at Llandegla from dragging the brakes/arm pump. All stuff that can be improved on before we go.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/-wLLWHyxWbk[/video]
    Out of the park
    [video]http://vimeo.com/230551885[/video]
    In the park

Lots of riding at all grades but as others have said you might have a tough time if you are nervous about some stuff

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Whistler for the non gnar.’ is closed to new replies.