Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whistler & Chilcotin this Summer
  • herfie
    Free Member

Heading out to Canada this Summer for a trip of a lifetime to spend some time in Whistler. Any recommendations on the best place to hire bikes in Whistler?

We are also thinking of (funds permitting) of heading over to Chilcotin for a full days single track ride with Tyax Adventures. Would be great to hear if anyone has done this?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

If you’re going to Tyax make sure you get a decent 4×4. That road is crap! We took my brothers very old and very rattly 2x truck. It made it there ok, but it was both worrying and slow.

herfie
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip off! I did wonder about the road there. Was the riding worth the journey in Tyax?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sweaman2
    Free Member

Just make sure what ever bike shop you use can switch the brakes…..

hexhamstu
    Free Member

We weren’t riding we were just going up there to camp out and see what was up there.

I’ve only heard good things about the riding. It was said that “Tyax Wilderness Resort & Spa” is a bit of a rip off but I’ve no idea of the prices or anything so wouldn’t know.

herfie
    Free Member

Never even thought about switching the brakes over 🙂 Could have been a great start to the first ride!!

herfie
    Free Member

Had heard about the Spa and the heavy duty prices. One to give a swerve methinks.

chrisv8
    Free Member

I’m there for a couple of weeks late July/August.

I’ve always had good service from Summit, reasonable rental rates, right by the lifts and you can store it back at the shop while you are eating/whatever. Evolution have better bikes but the prices reflect it.

BearBack
    Free Member

We are also thinking of (funds permitting) of heading over to Chilcotin for a full days single track ride with Tyax Adventures. Would be great to hear if anyone has done this?

Superb! But, go for longer though!
    Whistler to Tyax over teh hurley is approx 3.5hrs. If you catch the Hurley after its been graded, its a superb drive. If you’re in a car or light truck with 2ply tires and its not been graded recently, expect 5 hours and flats!
    If I’m driving our 10ply tire van out there I’ll drive the Hurley, if its staff driving, they get the long way round Via Lillooet that is mostly paved but +100km/+1.5hrs.
    I survived the Hurley

If you head out to Tyax, consider the value of the riding that you do.
    A float plane drop is entirly worth it if you’re prepared to spend the cash. Spending at lest one night (either out at a sky camp or at the lodge campsite) is more than worth considering.
    There are a number of day rides that take you up and over some stunning passes, but the most important part of riding in the Chilcotins IMO is the high alpine! Day rides wthout plane support wont see you get that experience really.

Get in touch if we can help.

The majority of our guests who have ridden the Southern Chilcotins the last couple of seasons have float planed out of Whistler up to Spruce or Warner then flown or driven back from the lodge.

Bike rentals, Summit Sport are our go to shop. Plenty of choice in Whistler though.

herfie
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it! Very excited about the trip, lots of planning needed I think. We are out there for 8 days so should be able to pack plenty in. Keen to ride the trails in the Bike Park as well as plenty other singletrack. My daughter (age 14yrs) is also a very keen mountain biker wants to get out on the trails. We are not downhillers but do ride in the Lakes and Peak District every weekend. Think we will sign up for a course though as both of us don’t feel comfortable getting airborne 🙂
    Cheers,
    Rob

zinger
    Free Member

As your not “downhillers”I’d spend at least a couple of days over at chilticon’s – if your looking for epic singletrack that’s the place to be

I drove over there and stayed at the tayx resort and did a couple of great rides over there – including the float plane trip up to warner lake

The riding was epic – but too be honest was also bl**dy scarey riding on your own with all those Grizzley bears !!

Check out my web site for the ride I did up at Chilticons and around whistler

Canada Holiday

oldfart

Float plane is an absolute must , I’ve been lucky enough to do it twice . Both times survived the Hurley ! You won’t regret it

BearBack
    Free Member

My daughter (age 14yrs)

Whilst float plane assistance is a huge help, even the shortest plane drop at Spruce lake and same day ride out may well be an unrealistic stretch for a 14yo.
    You may find you want to pope your wife and daughter in the Spa at Tyax Lodge while you ride 😉

Lost lake trails in Whistler are a perfect place for getting younger ones out and riding in a less risky environment.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dont know about “best” but Fanatyk and Summit were by far the friendliest and most helpful bike shops in the village imo. Wouldn’t touch GBB, when I was there they were a bit up their own arses! Would recommend moguls breakfast burritos!

Diane
    Free Member

You should go whilst you are there but stay overnight at least – the journey is tiring. Float plane is lovely but it’s still a work out – not all descending! 😀

herfie
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for all your replies, really appreciate it. Can’t wait to get out there 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whistler & Chilcotin this Summer’ is closed to new replies.