• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by RRD.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Whistler and surrounds
  • NZCol

We’re heading to Vancouver and then towards Whistler for a week or so. While keen to ride at Whistler I have to be realistic and fess up to being a complete XC noob with no desire to get massive air. I just want to ride my bike on nice technical tracks and/or decent days out or half days actually.

So, in that area anyone got any sage advice ? I may rent a DH bike for a half day or so. Fwiw i ride a carbon Tallboy !

_tom_
    Free Member

Lost Lake trails. Or go to somewhere like Summit and pick up a trail map and have a chat with them to see what would suit you. Really helpful!

Have at least one day at the bike park though, it’s so awesome. You need to ride Crank It Up once in your life, so much fun! There’s load of techy stuff if that’s more your thing as well.

JCL
    Free Member

Be prepared for tough climbs and tech descents. I’d strongly recommend a dropper post if you haven’t one already. 2.3 soft compound tires and 180mm+ rotors, short stem/wide bar. You’ll have a lot more fun with these parts.

Forget the park. Waste of money and better trails outside it. Get the trail map and Start with Kill Me Thrill Me just north of the village. Easily accessible and will give you an idea of what to expect. Then head up the Flank via Stonebridge and ride High Society. If you’re still into it after that you’re going to have a great time as there are a load of trails off the Flank that get progressively more rowdy. Another good trail on a bike like yours is Business Time which is on the village side of the highway.

It’s some of the best riding but it’s pretty bonkers so ease into it. Have fun!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NZCol

I’d strongly recommend a dropper post if you haven’t one already. 2.3 soft compound tires and 180mm+ rotors, short stem/wide bar. You’ll have a lot more fun with these parts.

No dropper, 2.1 tyres, 180 fr/160 rr, wide bars (with stubby barends !) and 90mm stem.

Right then, might make some mods when i get there !!

Thanks, great advice.

JCL
    Free Member

I have a buddy who races the mental XC races out here on your bike and has it set up how I described and gets on fine with it. You could ride your bike as is but I honestly think you would have a much better time, confident, comfortable etc with the mods.

It’ll hopefully help you avoid this sort of nonsense – http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrU3Mbim-s

_tom_
    Free Member

Saying “forget the bike park” is terrible advice, if you’re a mountain biker surely you have to ride it at least once if you’re in the area?! Unless you don’t like having fun on some of the best trails in the world, of course.

The rest is good advice though, a dropper would be perfect for the trails there. I was forever changing my seatpost height when I rode the xc trails. Oh and give Big Timber a miss. Probably a fine singletrack descent if you’re working it into a loop but I rode all the way up to Kadenwood on my Bullit (not exactly a climbing bike) in the pissing rain and it really wasn’t worth it 😆

JCL
    Free Member

The park is played. Overpriced and far better trails in the valley. Especially for XC orientated riders.

dashed
    Free Member

Again, got to agree that ignoring the park is terrible advice. Plenty of fun flowing trails for non-DHers. Crank it up and B Line for example. No need for the wheels to ever leave the ground but if you’ve gone all that way, you’ve gotta have a day in the park followed by beers and Yam fries on the GLC patio!

And you should really, really do the top of the world trail. Nothing hard in there, even though it’s a black. Most amazing views and 5,000ft of descent.

As other have said, lots of fun around Lost Lake, and try and hunt out A River Runs Through It – loved that trail.

bluebird
    Free Member

Try and get to Squamish and ride some of the trails around there too. The area above Quest University has some great trails like Half Nelson. Plural of Nemesis is another great trail.

Also you have to try the park. It’s not the be all and end all of BC riding, but it’s great fun for a day (or two) and you don’t need to be a freeride god to have fun in there.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’d do the park at least once so you know what its all about, then make your own mind up whether to go back again…

Get a copy of this is you can: Link

NZCol

Thanks all for the sage advice. We’ll be there for 5 days and have a toddler so most of my riding will be solo hence not wanting to shred the dangerous gnar alone 😉 While a jeyer i do like the look of lots of this and armed with my slammed seatpost and baggy shorts I’m looking forward to it. Especially the beer and Yam fries ! Will report back.

BearBack
    Free Member

Get in touch, we’re offering a dedicated guiding service now for visitors just like you who want to make the most of their time whilst in town.

aye-aye
    Free Member

If you want to ride outside the park you can’t go wrong with BearBack.

Definitely do at least a day in the park too, there are trails suitable for every level of rider.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Re: Whistler Bike Park – personally, I find it a bit meh but each to their own. However, I’d definitely recommend trying it to find out what the fuss is all about. Two pieces of advice:
    (a)If you want to save some cash, consider getting a sampler ticket which allows three lift rides on the lower (Fitzsimmons) lift
    (b)Try to avoid the weekend and/or A Line…sorry, but that trail just attracts a certain type of idiot who think nothing of barging you off line…

Personally, I’d try to get out to Pemberton or Squamish (½hr north and south respectively) if you’re more of an XC/Epic type of rider…

heihei

JCL has got it right. Non-bike park stuff is the real buzz for XC riders in Whistler. I’d def try and do a day in Pemberton too, esp if you have any ability to shuttle up the dirt track. Amazing stuff.

walleater

Head from Vancouver to Squamish. And then stop. I only live 2hrs from Whistler Bike Park and I’ve only been there around 6 times since 2007. To be fair, if you can hit that magical combination of there being no-one there and the trails not being beaten to shit then it’s good.

NZCol

Thanks all, we’re sorted now with a bit of guiding in Whistler and will get to Pemberton etc as well as we have a few days. Appreciate all the good advice and I look forward to riding down A Line on my 29er with barends in lycra.

RRD
    Free Member

Bearback
    Are you offering float plane trips? I may be about in June.
    Cheers
    RRD

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Whistler and surrounds’ is closed to new replies.