Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Whisper it quietly… training… Keilder…
  • igm

OK I've entered.

And I've realised I've never done more than 40 miles off road in a day.

And I'm feeling nervous.

Anyone round York/Castleford/Dalby area aiming for a back of the pack finish who fancies doing a little longer distance stuff, prior to say late August, to improve there chances of making the back of the pack finish?

Not Wednesday nights 'cos that's my wife's horse riding night.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

O my god !!!!! first it was SSUK09, now Keilder 100. IGM are you turning into a racer ? Will they have a beer stop ? 😉

ton

igm
    i have entered, and need a local training partener
    i am in rothwell.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Jesus !!!! is this a SS race re-invented. You guys are all single speeders.

igm

stumpynya12 – The last races I did before SSUK were the last of the Karrimors and the first year of the NEMBAs that followed them. My best result was second last finisher. But I like finishing. And as a 16st lad with 25 seasons of rugby behind him, I'm never going to be taking on the whippets up front. SSUK was brilliant by the way – I'll be back for SSUK10 on the basis of the Dalby gang's SSUK09, and my wife wants to make a week of it, take the little one along and do some riding along the way. She wants to rent a VW campervan to do it in too – which sounds about right.

Think I'll have gears for Keilder though. Probably.

Ton – I'm working at Cas, you're working up Armley way if I remember. What's the night riding round Rothwell like?

I'm thinking I need a some week night riding, normal weekend riding (which for me means going round Dalby red with my 3.5 year old son on the LOCT seat – great training aid), and probably a 40-50 miler once a month. Sound about right?

ton

all sounds good to me mate.
    i have a 2 hour or a 3 hour offroad route from mine that is ok.
    enough for a night ride?

and i have a stonking 45 miler that finishes with the last half of dalby red.
    joins at bickley gate.

forge197
    Free Member

I won't be singlespeeding I will be using every gear I have available 🙂

MrSparkle

Puff!

fontmoss
    Free Member

damn you why cant you live in derby!

igm

Ton – That works.

Tuesdays and Thursdays best for me, but Mondays and at a push Fridays can be done too.

Lets get is organised before I have the second half of this bottle of red – what kind of time / day would suit you?

Wonder if we could get a masochists group (well they'd have to be for this race) out on say the first weekend every month. There may be others in the vicinity, and I can dig up a couple of idiots at work (including one whippet who works for me and actually places in races for us to chase / give beer orders to).

igm

Fontmoss – Derby ain't that far away for 40-50 mile weekend jaunts, particularly if the venue is halfway.

How long is the Mary what's-er-face loop? And there's a Wheelwright route in the peaks that's a decent distance.

ton

iain, tuesday is good.
    i ride with a few lads local on a wednesday.
    next tuesday??
    email me.

ton

fontmoss, we can meet for a big peaks ride once a month too.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i dont have a motor though 🙁

ill see if i can drum up some interest

forge197
    Free Member

MrSparkle – assume that's aimed at me if so I am a very proud user of all my gears including the granny ring 🙂

dogthomson

I'm in Rotherham and would be up for some weekend training.

MrSparkle

forge197- yes, it was aimed at you! But only in a lighthearted way.

Tbh, I am a bit amazed that people are going on about training for the Kielder already!

ton

MrSparkle – Member
    forge197- yes, it was aimed at you! But only in a lighthearted way.

Tbh, I am a bit amazed that people are going on about training for the Kielder already!

when a 20 stone fat bloke and a few other riders who are obviously not blessed with your supreme fitness and need to set a plan to get to your high status,to even attempt this ride, what else do you think we are gonna talk about for the next 10 month……….

forge197
    Free Member

MrSparkle – I took it that way 😀 Training for it is easier to manage if it's planned early(from my perspective) I will just increase my distance over the coming months at least that is my theory and of course.

First I need to loose some weight and get back into a routine that supplements my riding, gym stuff as well as bike miles!!

charlierevell
    Free Member

I'd never done over 36….. finished fine!

igm

charlierevell – Member
    I'd never done over 36….. finished fine!

Teacher's pet 🙂

igm

Ton – mail on it's way once my email system flushes itself out – ie tomorrow morning

MrSparkle

ton – I have always looked at you as being big and muscley rather than fat. And you will be reet on the Kielder.

igm

Ton may be, but I'm fat and unfit.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another fat/unfit one here that will deffo be joining in…

boxelder

Take it easy 'til Feb time – build up the base fitness and all that.
    To state the obvious, the biggest boost to my fitness over the last few years has been riding a road bike – pedalling technique and strength (no bail out gears).
    Mental prep too – knowing you're going to want to quit (for me at around 4 hrs and 6 hrs), but recognising you can just grim it out if needed.

when a 20 stone fat bloke and a few other riders who are obviously not blessed with your supreme fitness and need to set a plan to get to your high status,to even attempt this ride, what else do you think we are gonna talk about for the next 10 month……….

can't claim to be 20 stone fat bloke, but with baby no.3 due in a couple of weeks, I've entered to give me something to drag myself out into the rain for – getting you out riding is what these events are about – even better if it's with new folks.
    I've countless Lakes-based epics if you 'southern types' want some decent training (runs and hides….)
    😉

igm

Lakes is south. Yorkshire based but Glasgow born.

radoggair
    Free Member

never done more than 15 miles but finished fine!!

Think i'll start training late August

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Whisper it quietly… training… Keilder…’ is closed to new replies.