Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • WhiskyTrackWorld – What whisky for…
  • pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

…a Christmas present for my girlfriend’s brother? He has apparently just started getting into whisky, and is beginning to amass a collection, which I (perhaps unfairly) assume is mostly fairly common blended malts or bourbons. Im a very occasional whisky drinker and generally go for Laphroig, but I’d like to get him a fairly accessible (taste-wise) Scottish single malt, that he’s unlikely to have already. Any suggestions around the £30 mark? Also, where is best to buy from?

al1982
    Free Member

any thing from Jura is a good bet, my favorite one is superstition, currently in Sainsbury at £22 a bottle

also worth a look would be highland park 12 yr old (i think) its about £25 a bottle, also in Sainsbury

IHN

Yeah, Highland Park.

Loads of the supermarkets have whisky offers at the moment. I got a bottle of Highland Park for £20 and Talisker for £25 from Waitrose.

M6TTF
    Free Member

balvennie doublewood is an easy drink

messiah
    Free Member

Local Asda had some very good deals recently. I went for the Laphroaig Quarter Cask and an Aberlour for myself… but was very tempted by the Ardmore which would also suit your requirements.

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

Oban 14 is good one for a beginner (how i started) or the Balvenie Doublewood, alternatively i have a soft spot for Old Pulteney, usually reasonably priced (have bought it for as little as £19) but tastes great and really easy to drink!

Cougar

Benromach Organic.

Buy yourself one whilst you’re at it.

You’re welcome.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Usual recommendation from me is Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. A Glenmorangie finished in port barrels which is a lovely, soft drink. Slightly over budget at around £35 in supermarkets, but it’s something a bit different that he might not try for himself.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Laphrooig for£25 at Sainsbury

MrGreedy

Just get him Laphroaig. Any whisky drinker worth his salt has to try it sooner or later, so even if he doesn’t like it you’ll have done him a valuable service.

Grimy
    Free Member

If you’d like to try something different, try Penderyn. My sister bought me a small selection case of Penderyn Sherrywood, Madeira and Peated. I usually drink Talisker or dalwhinnie scotch, but I can report all three of these welsh whiskys were excelent. If your trying to amass a collection, then it would be rude not to have something a little different like these in it. 🙂

Edit: Just looked at their website, 2012 winner of the best world whisky. so It cant be too bad eh.

metalheart
    Free Member

Caol Ila.

mt
    Free Member

Glengoyne 10 year old. Lovely drink.

hairymtnbiker
    Free Member

Get a selection if he’s only just starting out..

http://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/

rj2dj
    Free Member

Not sure Laphroaig is necessarily a starter malt.

I started on Glenmorangie, but wished I’d started on Aberlour.

Speyside whiskys in general are normally a lot softer on the palette.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is like buying a bike for your partner, get what you like.

If they don’t like it hen you will probably end up with it anyway so it might as well be what you want.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

copied from

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/summary-current-supermarket-spirit-offers-dec-2012-1403843

and credit due for the legwork. Many of the whiskies listed above reduced at the mo:

Round up of the best spirit offers currently available instore and online from the major supermarkets.

It’s going to be a good Christmas!

All bottles 70cl unless otherwise stated.

ASDA

Aberlour Malt Whiskey 10yo £18.00 (RRP £27.99)
    Glenfiddich 12yo £20.00 (RRP £32.80)
    Grant’s Sherry Cask (Blend) £13.50 (RRP £17.00)
    Chivas Regal 12yo Blended £18.00 (RRP £24.97)
    Havana Club Anejo Especial £15.00 (RRP £19.85)
    Bombay Sapphire £15.00 (RRP £20.00)
    Courvoisier V.S. £18.00 (RRP £24.47)
    Remy Martin Coeur de Congnac £33.55 (RRP £40.55)

Tesco

Singleton of Dufftown Single Malt £22.00 (RRP £29.99)
    Glenlivet 12yo £22.00 (RRP £29.69)
    Laphroaig 10yo £25.00 (RRP £31.50)
    Glenfiddich 12yo £22.00 (RRP £32.80)
    Glenmorangie 10yo £22.00 (RRP £32.50)
    Dalwhinnie 15yo £25.00 (RRP £33.00)
    Gentleman Jack £21.00 (RRP £30.78)
    Havana Club Anejo Especial £15.00 (RRP £19.85)

Sainsburys

Balvenie Double Wood 12 yo £22.00 (RRP £31.79)
    Isle of Jura 10yo £22.00 (RRP £29.15) (Extra £3 off using http://www.jurawhisky.com/3poundsoff/voucher.pdf)
    Jack Daniels £15.00 (RRP £22.50)
    Jack Daniels Single Barrel £28.49 (Instore only RRP £40.48)
    Russian Standard 1L 2 for £25

Ocado

The Dalmore 15yo £41.25 (RRP £51.25)
    Campari £11.55 (RRP £14.50)
    Jose Cuervo Esoecial Gold tequilla 50cl £9.50 (RRP £11.50)
    Tanqueray Export Strength Gin £15.20 (RRP £22.00)

Waitrose

Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48%) £25.20 (RRP £31.50)
    Aberlour 16 year £35.00 (RRP £40.65)

Kryton57

Got myself a bottle of JD for Christmas week evening sipping.

*runs away and hides*

birky
    Free Member

Get a bottle of Donald Trump’s whisky, I’m sure it doesn’t taste at all bitter.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/05/donald-trump-whisky-award

TheFlyingOx

balvennie doublewood is an easy drink

Yup, and the single barrel is even better although at a bit of a price premium over the doublewood.

I’ve always got on well with Dalwhinnie as it’s a very light whisky.
    I’ve recently tried and liked the Arran 10 year Single Malt.
    Also – and come the revolution I’ll be up against the wall for this, the 10yo Yamazaki is properly lush.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Yamazaki

Father in law has a japanese mate who regularly comes over here.
    He brings the odd bottle of Yamazaki with him, which sometimes migrate to our cupboard.

Our whiskey ‘aficionado’ friends would not touch it with a barge pole…
    I filled my hip flask with it one Christams walk. Flask passed round, without disclosing the contents.
    They all loved it.
    That said. Not one of them would go out and buy it!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

MrNutt
    Free Member

Its a no brainer, Barrettine all the way.

trevron73
    Free Member

There is a Spirit shop on Brewer street in W1 London ,they sell a Thai whiskey called Mekong,its got 7 substances in it that are mildly hallucalagenic ,its quite sweet to drink and not a true whiskey ,but hey he will thankyou for it

brakes
    Free Member

another vote for Jura, I used to think whisky was pish (after drinking my Dad’s crappy blends) but then had Jura which was so easy to drink and it was then only a short hop over the water to the lovely Islays

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Can highly suggest googling Arran Distillery asi am no longer a whiskey virgin I have popped the cork chose a sample of 10yr single before he had a chance to tell me to let the taste linger through before downing it not quick but quick enough for 1st timer. Even Russell brand would of been proud as I went on to buy a bottle gone damn it all nearly on the ferry over from Arran.

Great stuff as I always kept the want to get into it until absolutely needed to.
    It’s officially a whiskey emergency for a whole heap of messed up events but mainly because my heating washing facilities water supply is bust as so am I!

I am partial to a few bottles of Graham’s tawny port 10yr matured find stuff is it too.
    Blimey Can anyone bk me up that a 750 bottle goes like it was yesterday.

Bought a £35 bottle of single malt 10yr for my bank advisor. Cant’t remember but had loch … Description and one up from Dalwinnie think less is more look of label from tesco s reduced slightly.

He was well chuffed as I don’t think he expected for me to keep my word that I would find a gift of his typical type of tipple but did 1 better!

Which now means priority appt.s Result!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Sounds like you polished off a bottle before typing out that post?

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, stumbled across some Old Poulteney and Highland Park on offer in Waitrose at lunchtime, so I grabbed one of each. Unfortunately both for presents.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Laphroaig 10yo £25.00 (RRP £31.50) that’s now the bottle my advisor has reluctantly been given by my own fair hand ouch that was painful!!! Lol

Yeah does looked a messed up post as my iPhone 5 keyboard is a wee small

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Home

The 18 year is absolutely fantastic! However the 12 is very good for a lower budget.

stufive
    Free Member

I love Ardbeg its quite peaty though

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘WhiskyTrackWorld – What whisky for…’ is closed to new replies.