Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Whisky… Single Malt -v- Blended Brands
  • the-muffin-man

I got into whisky a few years ago but have only ever drunk single malts. My taste is towards the middle range to lighter speyside ones. I’m not keen on heavily peated ones.

Now I don’t mind spending £30 to £50 on a nice bottles as a treat for myself (and close friends!), but for more regular drinking and giving to ‘not fussed’ guests I’m wondering which of the blended brands are decent to drink and closest to say a Highland Park single malt?

Cheers!

winston_dog
    Free Member

Loch Fyne Blend

However, by the time you add delivery you could get a single malt!

If you are ever up that way, the shop is well worth a visit, not the cheapest but excellent selection and advice, quite generous with samples as well.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with a Grouse. Especially in the pub!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stilltortoise
    Free Member

Get yourself to Aldi. You could do a LOT worse than Glen Orrin

MoreCashThanDash

Muffin man – whatever is on offer in the whiskey shop at Masson Mill

flip
    Free Member

but for more regular drinking and giving to ‘not fussed’ guests I’m wondering which..

This was us a few yrs back, we started just drinking malts but it got very expensive.

In my opinion you can get used to anything given time. We now drink Teachers or Bells and keep the malts for a treat.

rj
    Free Member

Monkey Shoulder is my favourite blend. I prefer it to some of the malts, but you’re not saving a great deal over a cheaper one.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Whyte & Mackay will put hair on your chest and cheap as chips. Alternatively Highland Park can be had cheaply at the supermarkets (£25 in Tesco).

cheers_drive

stilltortoise – Member
    Get yourself to Aldi. You could do a LOT worse than Glen Orrin

This
    Sounds like I have the same taste in whiskey as you and Glen Orinn is one of the few cheaper blends that I haven’t had to drink with ginger.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Monkeys shoulder is a very nice blended whiskey. Was £22 in tesco last i looked.

scruff9252

Black Bottle is surprisingly nice for a cheap whisky. The co-op often has it on offer for stupidly cheap prices; I think £16 was the best so far.

househusband
    Free Member

Bailie Nicol Jarvie is a blended by Glenmorangie and can be bought for well under £20 – certainly was last time I bought it a few years ago. Underrated from what the internet says, so must be true. Think I last found it at the Co-op.

Will give Glen Orrin a go next time I pass Aldi.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As ive said before nowt wrong with grouse.

If im in one of the pubs in town that isnt the grill ill have grouse for lack of a better option.

kcal

I /think/ BNJ is being phased out, hh..?

Cougar

Bourbon? Jim Beam goes for £15 in ASDA.

househusband
    Free Member

I /think/ BNJ is being phased out, hh..?

Thanks, kcal; that gives me all the more reason to try out the Glen Orrin a go – purely for ‘research’… 8)

kcal

It was just chat I overheard when with some mates a couple months back, maybe more – one of my school chums is now distillery manager at Glenmo… but I can’t find reference to that ‘fact’ now online, so may be mistaken..

lilchris
    Free Member

bigdugsbaws
    Whyte & Mackay

My day-to-day of choice

convert

J&B was always my blend of choice until I became a snob. Should probably go back to having an every day blend in the house (if this damn acid reflux that’s making drinking painful ever goes away).

shermer75
    Free Member

Johnnie Walker Blue Label, all the way

A mere snip at £135.00!

cheers_drive

Bushmills is a decent blended

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

JW blue is for people to show off how much money they have, the green is better and cheaper

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Most of the Jura range are blended single malts if that makes sense!

househusband
    Free Member

Bushmills is a decent blended

And is Irish and a whiskey… 8)

thegreatape
    Free Member

…blended single malts…

Like this, which my brother in law has just opened. Happy days!

franksinatra

If you are looking for a blend you could do a lot worse than Isle of Skye which is currently supporting Scottish Mountain Rescue with a donation for each of their bottles sold. Raised over £6k so far. You can find it is Tesco. I got one last week and it sits lonely on the shelf next to all the single malts but there should be no snobbery about it. If you lean towards the ‘less challenging’ whisky then a good blend is lovely. I’m enjoying it.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sorry but I have yet had (single blend or malt) a whiskey I have enjoyed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Try whisky then 🙂

franksinatra

I’m sorry but I have yet had (single blend or malt) a whiskey I have enjoyed.

All the more left for the rest of us then!

bedmaker

Black bottle or W & M here.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Go for a bottle of Naked Grouse, very nice

prawny

Aldi Highland Earl is good, and the black. Bells is ok and I quite like grouse.

Not teacher’s teacher’s is mingin.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Another vote for Monkey Shoulder, and the Highland Black from Aldi is OK for £13 – but you can’t beat a decent single malt though!

scruff9252

Just picked up a bottle of that glen orinn from aldi and for £13 it’s quite good for the price. Nice find.

Daniel
    Free Member

Black Grouse or if you’re in Shropshire, Tanners Peaty Craig

adscatt
    Free Member

Another vote here for Monkey Shoulder, I found Jura Origin very easy drinking, probably a little too easy drinking if you know what I mean 😀

CountZero

I usually buy Sainsbury’s or Morrison’s own label single malts, but neither had any on the shelves just before Christmas, which was really disappointing, as they’re very good, and a lot cheaper.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Singleton of Dufftown is pretty nice and not too expensive to boot!

scandal42
    Free Member

Just enjoying some lovely old pulteney, no help I know, but lovely non the less

grum
    Free Member

Black Bottle +1

It’s what all the locals were drinking on Islay.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Whisky… Single Malt -v- Blended Brands’ is closed to new replies.