• This topic has 72 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Whisky – get any?
  • convert

I am in bit of a quandary…..a proper bout of acid reflux issues is making whisky drinking very painful. But post christmas I’ve got a few bottles. I feel like Homer Simpson and cakes- have a nip, lots of discomfort; forget about it and allow temptation get the better of me and repeat!

The concept of not drinking again for the foreseeable future is not improving my mood!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I also got ( hides from somafunk) some k teachers filled dark chocolates very morish – but i have to drive today 🙂

sparksmcguff

Dantsw13
    Caol ila (another classic Isla malt) – it’s sweeter than Laophroig, more honey like, the iodine (the salty/smoky/seaweedy sensation) is softer but still very much present. You might also enjoy Talisker from the isle of Skye. Many people who like the idea of Laphroig but find it a bit much will drink the classic Jura. If you want to push the boat out on an Isla malt try Lagavulin distillers reserve or the Kilchoman 2007.

Houns

Famous Grouse 😐

bigG
    Free Member

Was given a 2nd bottle of Caol Ila by my old man yesterday. Very chuffed that I no longer have to walk downstairs in order to refill my glass. Just need one for the summer house and I’ll no longer have to walk anywhere with an empty glass.

bigG
    Free Member

Houns – Member

Famous Grouse

Keep it and make blackberry whisky with it in the autumn. Great use for a blend that you don’t like.

kcal

interesting Glenrothes from a cousin. Single cask Caol Ila from myself. A bottle or two of single cask Springbank. Yum!

AD

JD’s Honey – yes I know it’s a liqueur – but definitely worth a try! Very pleasant indeed.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

And a bottle of…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Grouse haters – nowt wrong with grouse.

Now bells on the other hand – that firelighting whisky.

hairyscary

Got these for my dad. Hopefully I’m going to get to sample them.

IMAG0425 by MattNSmith, on Flickr

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Got this this Christmas…

Think i must be growing up a bit! Didn’t used to like the peaty ones but with a drop of water its really pretty good!

Found this review that sums it up far better than i could.

Love Arberlour, Auchentoshan, Bunnahabhain and i also enjoyed the English and Welsh ones as well!

mt
    Free Member

“Keep it and make blackberry whisky with it in the autumn. Great use for a blend that you don’t like.”

Sound advice, made 2 ltrs of the stuff about a month ago. One Bells, one Grouse.

Have a Glengoyne 10 and a rather interesting Penderyn single malt from Brecon.

dantsw13

Sparksmcguff – thanks for the recommends. I’ve had Lagavulin before, and liked. Talisker is a great all rounder IMHO, and I will investigate the Caol Ila.

northernmatt

Laphroaig 10
    Glen Moray
    Aberlour 10
    Glenrothes
    Bruichladdich Rocks (all gone)
    and a couple of bottles of JD

Had Lagavulin before and really liked it, couldn’t find any this year though.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Got three bottles of Jura and one of these…..

edhornby

A glenmorangie which I havent had for s while so will be nice to revisit and will stop me mullering the glenlivet 18yo I have, wondering if there will be any post Christmas bargains..

Oh and rusty spanner, come to my house and you can try a cask strength 9yo ardbeg 🙂

RustySpanner

I bet you say that to all the boys. 🙂

Down your way quite a bit these days now we are a grandmother, will give you a shout in the new year if you fancy a spin?
    Struggling to make the Monday pub rides due to work, but really fancy a circuit round the park.

Nick

I got some Strathisla (Chivas single malt) and some Glenfiddich.

Albanach
    Free Member

Bruk where did you get those glasses?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not strictly for Christmas, but have just opened it. Cheers Dad 🙂

lotto
    Free Member

Before American bourrboun and sherry casks became available what type of barrel was used for the maturing process?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Peat barrels were used. This lead to the unique taste of the Islay whisky, with the added bonus that the locals could claim their booze to be untainted by the wood of a southern ponce.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Opened the superstition. Thats a tasty nip. Hint of peaty but not loads. Nicer than jura 10 anyway

messiah
    Free Member

kcal

Some of these.. Yum.

wingnuts

Dutch skinflint brother in law gave me a 12 year old Islay – from Tesco. I opened it while he was here so nothing else was decimated. However its not too bad for a gentle sipping session. What I wanted and have found hard to source though is some Bruichladdich Rocks. Any ideas where I can get some?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Balvenie double wood 12 YO is the latest acquisition £10 off at Booths today 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Not strictly for Christmas, but have just opened it. Cheers Dad

What’s it like RP?

athgray
    Free Member

14 yo Clynelish and a blend called The Hive.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Got a bottle of this. Very intense. Needs a drop of water or two to unlock the flavour and take the edge off the power.

Awesome.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Some 1989 girvan single grain straight from the cask. Not usually available as it’s owned by grants and usually goes into blends. Lovely stuff with a splash of water reminds me of a good quality rum 😆

pb2

A tipple tastic triplet :mrgreen:

Jamesons Black Label Select Reserve http://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/us/ourwhiskeys

English Whisky Co Chapter 11 Cask Strength http://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/whisky-shop/english-whisky/2/single-malt-whisky—cask-strength-heavily-peated-chapter-11#

And to top off the set a bottle of Shackletons Journey Whisky complete with book, http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/shackletons-whisky-mackinlays-rare-old-highland-malt/#intro

So far I’ve only opened the Jamesons which is really good. I’m not sure I’m going to open the other two,I think I will wait for a special occasion.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Whisky – get any?’ is closed to new replies.