Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Whisky disappointment
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Running low on Jura (10) and Aberlour (12) next bottle or whisky is in need of purchase and after tasting a Mccallan 18 year old many months ago in a tasting session up in Aberlour…how disappointed am I to find its about £130 a bottle! no wonder it was lovely!

Any recommendations for the next bottle then given the three mentioned above? but for a more reasonable £25-£40 region

jimmy

I like Jura at least, also:

Glenlivet 12 – was on offer in Morrisons
    Bowmore 10
    Bruichladdich 10 (I think)
    Benromach

roger_mellie

I like jura and find glenmorangie to be a similar easy drinking whisky, but currently in the cupboard is old pulteney, which has a slight ‘maritime’ flavour. Any good for you?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Dalwhinnie! FTW-nie!

sputnik
    Free Member

Glenmorangie 10yo is £25 at Sainsburys at the moment.

kcal

Old pulteney 12yo £25 at Tesco.
    Not always sure about Gelnmorangie TBH.

For £40 you could get whole lot of good stuff.

Glen Elgin. Longmorn. Dalwhinnie for sure. Oban. Talisker even was on offer recently (not to everyone’s taste).

Caol Ila if islay stuff floats your boat. Glen Moray easy drinking and usually quite inexpensive. Try Aldi for a surprise..

Edit: Macallan are I think in process of changing over from 10,12,18 yo etc to bronze, silver gold colour ‘expressions’ so you may be able to pick up clearance stock.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dalwhinnie!

Marvellous stuff.

Ardbeg is an easy drinking Islay, if you like Jura. Peaty but not as heavy as some, I love it.

hebridean
    Free Member

Ardbeg is the peatiest Islay malt!

matt_outandabout

Aberfeldy 12yr.
    My fave now.
    Like honey.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Found Scapa 16 years in London shop I was delivering to last week. It was over £60 though. Got some in Andora for 20 euros last year, Lovely stuff. Will look for Ardbeg, I like peaty whisky.

huws
    Free Member

Just seen that Aberlour A’bunadh in waitrose for £33, normally in the low £40s. It’s like drinking Christmas cake.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just seen that Aberlour A’bunadh. It’s like drinking Christmas cake.

Oooooo, that sounds nice

huws
    Free Member

It’s non chill filtered and cask strength so oily, unctuous and quite punchy at 60.2%.

CaptJon
    Free Member

You should check this guy out on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

Inbred456
    Free Member

You will not get better than this for the money!

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-6941.aspx

Off to see what is on the whisky shelf.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ardbeg is lovely and peaty but much lighter and less oily than, say, lagavuilin.

heavyman
    Free Member

I usually go by mysupermarket to find best deals, currently have in the cupboard:
    1 Talisker
    1 Talisker Storm
    1 Tomatin Reserve
    1 Macallan 12 y.o.
    1 Benromach and
    2 Grant’s (for when visitors come :-))

My fave of the above is the storm by far, def recommend it and bought iton offer from T*sco.

dannybgoode

Laphroig – Triple Wood

or for something a bit different Compass Box – Spice Tree (http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/compass-box-spice-tree-whisky/)

Had this at a whisky tasting demonstrating the the wood of the barrel and lenth of maturation altered the taste of whiskies and it is very nice.

Was briefly outlawed by the Scottish Whisky Association due to the way they custom constructed the barrels out of different woods.

Very very nice it is

Cheers

Danny B

tom84
    Free Member

love old pulteney, is the tesco offer everywhere, wanna go look in the tesco local down the road now!

ton

bruichladdich rocks is my new fave. well worth a punt.

alanl
    Free Member

“huws – Member
    Just seen that Aberlour A’bunadh in waitrose for £33, normally in the low £40s. It’s like drinking Christmas cake.”

Thankyou for that recommendation, I’m not a big whisky drinker, but thought I’d try that, and it really is superb. £33.50 at my local Waitrose. Smells very ‘christmas cake’, not horrible to taste like many whiskies, definitely one to buy.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

balvenie doublewood great full flavour for the £££ can get it for £25 in tesco if the time is right

Scapegoat

Or if you like a slightly sweet one with a smoky finish, how about Highland Park?

huws
    Free Member

YES! I win!

Although the balvenie doublewood suggested by feckinlovebbq is really good too. Has anyone tried the Caribbean cask? It piqued my interest while browsing yesterday.

Coyote
    Free Member

Can’t beat a good old honest bottle of Jack Daniel’s. 8)

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Having a love affair with an 18 year old Lagavulin at the moment. Glorious stuff.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

cb

Manchester whisky festival – £20 to get in then drink all you want!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Currently working my way through a Glen Moray – v. drinkable. Smooth and mellow.

And… 21 Year Old Highland Park Signatory Vintage – amazing stuff. Got it as a leaving present from old job and savouring it slowly.

beagle
    Free Member

Huws. Yes. Tried the Caribbean cask last weekend at a wedding. Very moreish!!I was well
    impressed, as was my buddy who used to work in the industry. On my ‘to buy’ list.

huws
    Free Member

Marvellous, thanks beagle.

Now on my list too.

soops
    Free Member

The balvenie 14yr old caribbean cask is a grand drop. It was on offer at £35 at asda on friday.
    The glenlivet 15 yr old french oak reserve is also a nice drop.
    I have been wanting to try the littlemill 12yr old, just waiting to find a bottle
    8)

trailhound
    Free Member

Ive got a couple of bottles of 25yr old Tomatin still after two summers spent working at the distillery a couple of years ago. Certainly no expert but I knows what I likes!

d45yth
    Free Member

Coyote – Member

Can’t beat a good old honest bottle of Jack Daniel’s…
    …Honey! FTFY 🙂

yetidave
    Free Member

Last time I got drunk on whisky it was on Benromach, with robin Knox Johnson, thoroughly recommended.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Picked up a bottle of Auchentoshan cos it was cheap at tesco. At the opposite end of my normal taste spectrum (peated, sherry cask, auchentoshan is neither).
    Blown away, lovely, light refrshing taste.
    Got a Fettercairn Fior for normal taste sensations.

And for somethintg special, I’ll recommend a Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban – a couple of months in a port barrel does amazing things to the cratur

mogrim

Can’t beat a good old honest bottle of Jack Daniel’s..

Pah. Nothing like a bottle of Dyc:

Cougar

Benromach Organic is the answer you seek.

Failing that, I spotted today that M&S are selling Spice Tree.

cheez0
    Free Member

Horrid shit

Cant stand

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Whisky disappointment’ is closed to new replies.